Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 NFL Combine Thread (Duds, Surprises, and overall news)

IONTOP

Dion Caputi ‏ @nfldraftupdate

Michael Egnew of #Missouri had a much better 2nd run in the gauntlet. No drops, caught nicely away from body, stayed fast throughout.

#UGA TE Orson Charles looked very smooth and comfortable running & catching away from body in the 2nd run of the gauntlet. Impressive.

#Clemson TE Dwayne Allen has nice short-area explosion and catches away from his body nicely despite 1 drop in the 2nd run of the gauntlet.

NFL Draft Insider ‏ @NFLDraftInsider

James Hanna the Oklahoma TE who ran the 4.42 came to Oklahoma as a WR and then moved to TE. Could be utilized similar to Aaron Hernandez.

#OU TE James Hanna looked fluid in the gauntlet, made some nice catches and ran the line well. He's a WR-convert and it shows in workouts.

#LSU TE DeAngelo Peterson exhibited some sloppy catching technique and dropped a few passes in the guantlet drill.

---------- Post added February-25th-2012 at 02:05 PM ----------

Um. Cooley is still on the Roster. He might even still be able to play. ;)

How much longer though? He won't be around forever...

How much longer though? He won't be around forever...

No, he won't. But my assumption (and after hearing what Bruce Allen had to say about him) is that he will be ready for the full off season, and they believe that he's going to be very productive. If that's the case, then they can wait a year to worry about TE. I'm also asuming that they bring Sleepy/Dopy back in one way shape or form. (Franchise, sign, whatever).

There are always a few good TEs in every draft. The key is having the luxury to spend a #2 or late #1 to go grab one. I don't think the 'skins have that luxury this year.

#ArizonaSt LB Vontaze Burfict measured in at 6'1" 248 lbs., 31 1/4" hands.

#Alabama LB Dont'a Hightower measured in at a big 6'2" 265 lbs.; 4-3 and 3-4 ILB versatility, may be better suited to stay inside in both.

#BostonCollege LB Luke Kuechly comes in at 6'3" 242 lbs.; potential top 20 pick with very good football IQ and instincts.

#NCState LB Audie Cole stuck right around his #SeniorBowl weight - measured in at 6'4" 246 lbs.

#OU LB Travis Lewis added some notable bulk, measuring into the #Combine at 6'1" 246 lbs.

#OU's James Hanna ran an official 4.49, making him the fastest TE at the 2012 #NFLCombine.

No, he won't. But my assumption (and after hearing what Bruce Allen had to say about him) is that he will be ready for the full off season, and they believe that he's going to be very productive. If that's the case, then they can wait a year to worry about TE. I'm also asuming that they bring Sleepy/Dopy back in one way shape or form. (Franchise, sign, whatever).

There are always a few good TEs in every draft. The key is having the luxury to spend a #2 or late #1 to go grab one. I don't think the 'skins have that luxury this year.

You, sir, have a very appropriate handle. There is absolutely no reason to spend a pick in the first day on a position we are fairly strong at. Same at HB, and OLB..

Any other spot on the roster could be arguable.

Gotcha. I wasn't advocating getting one the first day. Maybe in the 5th or 6th though. Sorry for the confusion.

---------- Post added February-25th-2012 at 02:33 PM ----------

WR Bench Press 225 lbs: Justin Blackmon 14, Michael Floyd 16, Ryan Broyles 21

Gotcha. I wasn't advocating getting one the first day. Maybe in the 5th or 6th though. Sorry for the confusion.

WR Bench Press 225 lbs: Justin Blackmon 14, Michael Floyd 16, Ryan Broyles 21

Do we still refer to the 2nd and 3rd round as "First Day" picks? I would be surprised if anyone thought you meant we should take a TE in the first round.

Anyway, is it just me or is WR bench press the most useless drill of the entire combine? :ols:

http://www.hogshaven.com/

Sports Illustrated's Tony Pauline tweeted that he's hearing the Rams are doing everything possible to move the pick and held informal talks with the Redskins today.

Tony Pauline@TonyPauline

Hearing St Louis Rams had informal talks w/ Redskins today about 2nd pick. Doing everything possible to move the pick: tfydraft.com

If the Rams want to badley trade down then we should ask more. Like our 6th for there 2th and second round pick ;)

The best two TE sets (like New England's) involve at least one TE who's a very good blocker. That's been a big reason why we aren't able to use Davis and Cooley so effectively, because blocking is a weakness for both of them. Green unfortunately would be just another with just the same weakness.

Who's the blocker in New England?

The best two TE sets (like New England's) involve at least one TE who's a very good blocker. That's been a big reason why we aren't able to use Davis and Cooley so effectively, because blocking is a weakness for both of them. Green unfortunately would be just another with just the same weakness.

I actually always thought Cooley was a pretty decent blocker. Maybe not the best, but suitable. I dont know, I've seen him make some pretty good blocks..

Cooley actually is a pretty good blocker

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva

#Wisconsin OT Josh Oglesby's two unofficial forty times: 5.78, 5.83. Mayock: "That's Rich Eisen territory."

I actually met Josh Oglesby last week. He came into my work, and I had a chance to talk to him for 10-15 minutes.

My impressions from meeting him:

-First: Dude is massive. 6'8", 330 lbs., and lean.

-Second: He is a very nice kid and very excited about playing in the NFL. He took a lot of time to talk to a fan like me.

Because he was so nice and such a physical specimen, I was impressed by him. I told him I would be watching his draft stock. He might be worth a late round pick for us as a depth/project player, even if he is slow. He has the size and attitude you want. The thing that will make or break him is whether or not he can handle the speed rushers at the pro level. Still, I am rooting for the guy if for no other reason than that he was so nice to me.

This might all be for nothing, as there are a lot of good OTs in this draft class, and Shanny would probably prefer somebody who moves a little better, but I thought I'd share anyway.

EDIT: Apparently the big concern with Oglesby is that he has had multiple knee surgeries.

How did Dwayne Allen run a 4.89... I swear I was just watching him run deep for passes and he looked the fastest out there. Must just be a body motion thing, very deceptive.

Could be a combination of being a long-strider with build-up speed, and having very poor technique off the blocks. Either way, VERY disappointing.

How did Dwayne Allen run a 4.89... I swear I was just watching him run deep for passes and he looked the fastest out there. Must just be a body motion thing, very deceptive.

Built up speed. 40 times only measure acceleration. Its the same reason Sean Taylor had better range than Landry although Landry ran a faster 40

---------- Post added February-25th-2012 at 06:06 PM ----------

Josh Norris ‏ @JoshNorris

In the games I watched Brockers was consistently single blocked or taken out on 3rd downs over 5 yards.

really surprised with nd wr floyd's bench number. its not terrible, but he looks much much stronger on the eyeball test. with bigger and stronger cbs becoming envogue, upper body strength cant be discounted...much needed tool to get of the line in press coverage imo.

225 benches aren't about maximum strength but a mix of that and endurance. Arm length plays a big roll, chest etc, but really what the 225 bench determines is how much of a gym rat you are. A guy who only works on max weight is probably going to have a higher max bench than a guy who focuses on endurance, lots of reps at a lower weight.

Archived