Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guatemala Mission Trip 2012

AsburySkinsFan

Well, I'm going back to Guatemala (March 4-11) and this time my wife is coming with me. We're going down to help with some of the work being done there at Mimi's House (a girls home for orphaned and at risk girls) along with working in other areas like before. But, this trip has another purpose as well...seeking guidance as to whether or not God is leading us to Guatemala for long term missions service. I already have an interview with a Chrisitian missionary school there as well as opportunities to meet with a seminary. We also will be spending a lot of time with the missionaries to learn more about the day to day missionary living. We are very excited, but understandably nervous at the same time.

Over the next 33 days we would greatly appreciate any prayers and encouragement that you can offer on our behalf as we finalize our preparations, continue raising our mission support and seek God's guidance. I will continue to update as we get closer to leaving.

ASF, where in Guatemala? I help out with my church's mission to Guatemala. We go to a little village called Patzun.

We are in the Lo de Coy/Mixco area, just outside of Guatemala City.

---------- Post added January-31st-2012 at 10:17 AM ----------

Safe travels, Asbury, and I hope your decisions are made with a full heart and a clear head. Let us know how it goes.

Indeed this is what we are looking for, thank you so much!

---------- Post added January-31st-2012 at 10:27 AM ----------

will do, it's a big step

It sure it, but we are perfectly situated to go at this time, we are flexible with where we live, we don't own our own home, we don't have tight family connections that would make it hard to relocate. We are just praying that if it is God's will that the opportunities will make themselves available.

good stuff, asf. i went to zacapa and several remote villages (cona coste, pia de la cuesta, puente blanco) in 2006 on a missions trip. i really enjoyed the time and work. what a beautiful country.

i hope to go back one day. some friends of mine still go, i just don't have the means at the time.

keep us updated. i'll keep your family in my prayers. good luck.

Tickets purchased....BTW Travelocity can kiss my backside! TOTALLY USELESS!!! I called my airline directly, got better service, got a better rate, got a better seat selection. And every time I talked with someone at Travelocity my ticket price went up, first $10 per seat and then $75 per seat!!! What a joke.

Would your kids be coming with you on the long term missions?

We'll keep you in our prayers. :)

Yes, but obviously those plans are well into our future right now, but if we do go I will most likely start off teaching at a missionary kid school in the Bible dept and the kids would attend for free. They'd actually get a better education there than in our current school district...*sigh*

And thank you for your prayers.

28 days out now. I talked with one of the board members at the school after sending in my resume, always a bit nerve wracking to have an unofficial pre-interview over the phone, but at the end of the conversation he said it sounded like I understood what they were looking for in the position, and we talked about the some future ideas of setting up a pastor training school. My wife is getting more nervous the closer we get, but is excited about going. We are almost entirely fully funded and are only a couple hundred dollars short of our $3,000 goal, plus we have a couple pledges still yet to come in so we should be in really good shape.

There was a stark reminder when I opened facebook this morning though....http://www.persecution.org/2012/02/05/suspected-drug-traffickers-kill-pastor-in-guatemala/

Please continue to pray that we are following the Holy Spirit and that the Lord open doors and make provision if this be His will.

Truth be told...I get nervous about the possibility...to the point that right now my hands are sweating.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 12 days and a wake up.

So far we have managed to raise over $5,100! We are thrilled since our initial goal was $3,000. Which means that $3,800 is going directly to the mission in Guatemala, in addition to the $1,500 coming directly from the church's annual support for the mission. Needless to say that I am elated. Yesterday morning we announced officially that while we are in Guatemala we will be seeking God's direction and potential for long term mission service there, I've had several "soft" conversations with key folks in the last couple weeks regarding this and from those conversations it came as a surprise to me that they weren't really surprised at all. :ols: So, yesterday's announcement was greeted in much the same way. Granted, this wasn't the announcement of a moving date or anything like that, but for us it was still a pretty big step in taking private confidential conversations and opening them up publicly.

I can tell that my wife is starting to realize that things are happening because just this morning she said, "Did you know that in Guatemala city there are certain zones that you shouldn't go into? And that you should mill around in front of the airport?" I just nodded and said, "Someone has been reading the travel advisories." But seriously, those types of warnings are the same exact things you get when going into almost every major city. I am really looking forward to this trip, but my butterflies are starting to build up about the future and the potential of what this week may lead toward.

I'm thinking of creating a blog for our time down there, if anyone is interested I can make one, or send me a pm and I can give you my facebook info.

Prayers as always are appreciated.

ASF, my main motto in life is: Luck happens when opportunity meets preparedness.

Safe travels!

Yeah, I'm not of a believer in random luck either. We're working hard right now and going into Guatemala with eyes wide open, no starry eyed visions of milk and honey flowing, with two kids we want to know what to expect if we do indeed move there to serve.

God be with you and yours during the trip, ASF.

Thank you, we are certainly counting on God's grace and mercies.

Ok, we fly out tomorrow morning. Storms got pretty bad around Kentucky last night so we were hunkered down for most of the evening. Please pray for the towns in Indiana that were hit very hard and for the towns of West Liberty and Salyersville. I haven't heard many reports out of Salyersville, but indications were they got hit hard, West Liberty had to close their hospital due to damage and all of the patients were moved to Morehead. We saw a pic of town and it looks really bad.

I probably won't post until we're in Houston, TX tomorrow, and then I'll try and check in once we get settled in Guatemala. Thanks for your continued prayer for us.

Archived