Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Team Stores Shutting Down?

courier2003

Snyder is one of the crappiest businessmen ever...

He sure got lucky with the dot come bubble!

The dot com bubble? Do you know how he made his billion??

Also, why don't you give up everything and try the real estate market in DC. Right now is when everyone is jumping in. So since it is all Luck, give it a shot.

Reading through this crap on Dan fest, I was glad at least two other people are smart enough to remember that Main Gate runs the stores, not Dan. But hey, why should that stop the rest of of you from having your pile on fun. :doh:

Pfft, there you go again, thinkin' logic applies around these parts.

Reading through this crap on Dan fest, I was glad at least two other people are smart enough to remember that Main Gate runs the stores, not Dan. But hey, why should that stop the rest of of you from having your pile on fun. :doh:

Let's be fair. Snyder just turned over the operations and marketing to Main Gate. He still remains in charge of the stores and product sales. But you are correct that he does not actually run them. But then he didn't actually run them when they were in house either. Some other staff person had that responsibility.

Now those suggesting that closing underperforming stores have no clue how to run a business. Closing stores does not equate to being a bad businessman. If things like a poor economy, rising rents or lower sales caused by higher internet sales and/or an underperforming team reduce sales on the stores, you close them. That is being a SMART businessman. Companies do this all the time, big and small companies.

The bottom line is what counts; not whether some stores close or not to reduce costs or reposition product sales. Based on Forbes analysis each year, Danny is doing quite well contrary to all the junior wanna be business people in this thread.

Complain all you want about some of his decisionmaking. But when you call him a bad businessman, you are only showing your own ignorance.

Boy you sure have a ax to grind. Most of us have moved on.

---------- Post added January-30th-2012 at 01:16 PM ----------

Let's be fair. Snyder just turned over the operations and marketing to Main Gate. He still remains in charge of the stores and product sales. But you are correct that he does not actually run them. But then he didn't actually run them when they were in house either. Some other staff person had that responsibility.

Now those suggesting that closing underperforming stores have no clue how to run a business. Closing stores does not equate to being a bad businessman. If things like a poor economy, rising rents or lower sales caused by higher internet sales and/or an underperforming team reduce sales on the stores, you close them. That is being a SMART businessman. Companies do this all the time, big and small companies. I couldn't have said it better myself.

The bottom line is what counts; not whether some stores close or not to reduce costs or reposition product sales. Based on Forbes analysis each year, Danny is doing quite well contrary to all the junior wanna be business people in this thread.

Complain all you want about some of his decisionmaking. But when you call him a bad businessman, you are only showing your own ignorance.

All of the former Six Flag Shareholders agree with you as well as Johnny Rockets franchisee's.

HAHAHA! Six Flags was on its way to bankruptcy before he bought it already. He was absolutely smart to try and take advantage of buying it for cents to the dollar and try and profit big time from it. That is SMART business.

Not sure how good Johnny Rockets is doing now and prior to when he bought it. But I am pretty confident to guess that he tried the same thing, but actually has improved this one.

I wish I could be such a bad businessman and be a billionaire who has more than doubled the value of the Redskins in his ten years. Interesting how people with no money are so quick to judge the successful and rich. If they knew anything about business, they wouldn't be on a message board criticizing a billionaire who made his first million at the age of 21.

Add that he had to somehow make Snyder Communications good enough for someone to want to purchase. He wasn't handed Snyder Communications.

HAHAHA! Six Flags was on its way to bankruptcy before he bought it already. He was absolutely smart to try and take advantage of buying it for cents to the dollar and try and profit big time from it. That is SMART business.

Not sure how good Johnny Rockets is doing now and prior to when he bought it. But I am pretty confident to guess that he tried the same thing, but actually has improved this one.

Clearly you know nothing about Six Flags and the history with Snyder. Snyder started acquiring massive amounts of stock in the company in 2004 and then Snyder led a shareholder revolt in 2005 and handed the company over to Shapiro to run. Go read a little bit on it and come back and post something when you learn it. The company was 4 years from Bankruptcy when Snyder took over but then again -- why lets the facts get in the way of a good narrative? (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704247504574604360024987426.html)

Not sure how good Johnny Rockets is doing now and prior to when he bought it.

The DC store near Dupont Circle closed last summer. The store in Pentagon City Mall remains open as of last month. I don't know of any other locations in the DC area aside from FedEx. IMO the food is pretty good in the real restaurants (not at FedEx) but it seems like 50s nostalgia is fading now that the people who appreciate that era are pushing 70.

Clearly you know nothing about Six Flags and the history with Snyder. Snyder started acquiring massive amounts of stock in the company in 2004 and then Snyder led a shareholder revolt in 2005 and handed the company over to Shapiro to run. Go read a little bit on it and come back and post something when you learn it. The company was 4 years from Bankruptcy when Snyder took over but then again -- why lets the facts get in the way of a good narrative? (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704247504574604360024987426.html)

Read that. Again, he bought it for cents on the $$ and tried to make a lot of money under it. In that time he has gotten Six Flags to operate under positve cash flow for the first time. Did he get the stock up? Nope, but again that is why he bought it for cheap. To see if he can make money on it. He didn't and that happens in business. Shoot, this happens to everyone in stocks as well.

But nothing of this article has shown be he is a bad businessman. He went after an investment that could have payed dividends to him, but it just didn't work out.

I just said he's bad at business based on pretty much every venture he's had regressing including the Redskins except for the marketing business that he sold for millions right before it went bankrupt. Not sure wher eyou got the rest of the stuff.
Bought a team for $800M. Team now valued at $1.55B. I wish I sucked that much at business.

If the store really did shut down it was probably for the most common reason to do so.....it was unprofitable. Which makes him a good businessman. It's not fun for the fans, but you were talking about strictly business right? If so, you can pull the foot out of your mouth now.

If the store really did shut down it was probably for the most common reason to do so.....it was unprofitable. Which makes him a good businessman. It's not fun for the fans, but you were talking about strictly business right? If so, you can pull the foot out of your mouth now.

So he closed an unprofitable business he started, so he's a good businessman... That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I guess anyone who declares bankruptcy is a smart businessman.

---------- Post added January-30th-2012 at 05:44 PM ----------

Bought a team for $800M. Team now valued at $1.55B. I wish I sucked that much at business.

If you had invested in Treasury notes at 5%, youd' have made the same return. Not that hard.

So he closed an unprofitable business he started, so he's a good businessman... That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I guess anyone who declares bankruptcy is a smart businessman.

Yes because everyone knows good businessmen have 100% accuracy with starting businesses or opening stores.....if you open something up and it starts doing poorly to where its uneconomical to keep it open, shutting it down is pretty textbook. Not that your bankruptcy analogy was any good, but ill entertain it....yes even declaring bankruptcy can be a good business move (depending on what chapter you are filing).

Yes because everyone knows good businessmen have 100% accuracy with starting businesses or opening stores.....if you open something up and it starts doing poorly to where its uneconomical to keep it open, shutting it down is pretty textbook. Not that your bankruptcy analogy was any good, but ill entertain it....yes even declaring bankruptcy can be a good business move (depending on what chapter you are filing).

So what is Dan Snyder's accuracy rate? He had one good business and that was selling his company at the top of the bubble.

---------- Post added January-30th-2012 at 05:44 PM ----------

If you had invested in Treasury notes at 5%, youd' have made the same return. Not that hard.

So you evaluate the quality of a business by whether or not it ever closes? Is that your measure? In my estimation a smart businessman identifies something that would be profitable in the marketplace, profits on it, and then closes it when it is no longer profitable and moves on to the next thing. This is no endorsement or indictment of Dan Snyder...but the rationale that Redskins store closed equal bad businessman doesn't really work in my estimation.

In other words, this doesn't say jack**** about Dan being good or bad businessman.

Agreed. I worked at Tysons Corner mall at various stores over the course of 5-6 years & I saw many stores close & reopen in other areas of the mall, but also pack up & leave. Just to run a kioske in that mall costs over $5000 a month. That said, stores' leases in the malls are outrageous & stores closing to cut overhead is not unusual. Fair Oaks & Tysons are ridiculous in lease costs. The last store I worked in at Tysons was Johnston & Murphy & their lease in 2008 was over $12,000 a month.

The Redskins haven't done well & much of the area is overrun with transplants from other areas who not Skins fans. The amount of money going out to keep these stores running HAS to be more than what is coming in at this point. Shutting down the mall stores makes sense to me.

As I had a pleasant and enlightening conversation with Jumbo, this type of reaction is common here these days. I do not always post, but I read as often as possible. And as the days grow closer to FA and the draft, I fully expect complete and utter pandemonium. :ols:

Archived