Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 best performances by a QB over the last 20 years

Just to let you know, I first tried objectively ranking the top 10 performances by Skins QBs since our last Super Bowl (last 20 years), but a few too many were just close enough together that I decided to make sure I differentiated between the QBs based on the following:

TD percentage

Completion percentage

Yards per attempt

INT percentage

I ended up coming up with some wacky, convoluted formula which weighed and combined the four stats above, then attempted looking at each season objectivity, flipped more than a few coins, and added in a liberal use of a dart board lol...

Just to give you an idea, here are the ratings of Rodgers, Brees, Brady and Stafford when their stats were run through my goofy stat analysis ("goofy stat analysis" = Copyright Califan007 2011, all rights reserved):

Aaron Rodgers – 9.48

Drew Brees – 8.33

Tom Brady - 7.92

Matt Stafford – 7.34

And here's how the bottom of the pile rated out:

Blaine Gabbert – 4.64

Sam Bradford – 4.76

So that gives you some indication of where the best QBs reside and where the worst QBs reside, at least when I plug their stats into my equation.

The list consists only of those QBs who started at least 13 games.

Get ready to be depressed lol :mad: :mad:…

1992: Mark Rypien – 3282 yds, 56.2%, 13 TDs, 17 INTs

Rating: 5.08

Redskins-Rypien2.jpg

Best Game: against the Giants: 216 yds, 83.3%, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

2011: Rex Grossman – 3151 yds, 57.9%, 16 TDs, 20 INTs

Rating: 5.27

121490708.jpg

Best Game: against the Giants: 305 yds, 61.8%, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

Rex's INT% blew everyone else's out of the water, unfortunately..

1997: Gus Frerotte – 2682 yds, 50.7%, 17 TDs, 12 INTs

Rating: 5.48

256735.jpg

Best Game: against the Jaguars: 244 yds, 66.7%, 3 TDs, 1 INT

Gus has the 3rd best TD% in 1997 of all the QBs listed here, so that helped move him up the list...

2010: Donovan McNabb – 3377 yds, 58.3%, 14 TDs, 15 INTs

Rating: 5.48

donovan-mcnabb1.jpg

Best Game: against the Texans: 426 yds, 73.7%, 1 TD, 0 INTs

1996: Gus Frerotte – 3453 yds, 57.4%, 12 TDs, 11 INTs

Rating: 5.52

frerotte.jpg

Best Game: against the 49ers: 294 yds, 69.2%, 1 TD, 0 INTs

2008: Jason Campbell – 3245 yds, 62.3%, 13 TDs, 6 INTs

Rating: 5.78

JasonCampbell.jpg

Best Game: against the Lions: 328 yds, 82.1%, 1 TD, 0 INTs

You could probably flip JC, Gus and McNabb in any combination and it would be valid :yes:...

2009: Jason Campbell – 3618 yds, 64.5%, 20 TDs, 15 INTs

Rating: 6.18

zorn_campbell_580.jpg

Best Game: against the Saints: 367 yds, 71.4%, 3 TDs, 1 INT

1998: Trent Green – 3441 yds, 54.6%, 23 TDs, 11 INTs

Rating: 6.02

tgreen.jpg

Best Game: against the Cardinals: 382 yds, 61.2%, 4 TDs, 1 INT

This is one of those times when I disregarded the rating. Campbell had a higher rating, but 18 of his 20 TDs were inside the red zone, as where only 14 of Trent Green’s 23 TDs were inside the red zone. Which means Green was scoring from all over the field, not just from within 20 yards of the end zone. Plus, Green came off the bench as something like a 12th string QB lol (ok, not literally but you know what I meant), as where Campbell had already been a starter for 2 ½ seasons and couldn’t generate much of a passing offense through the first half of the season.

2005: Mark Brunell – 3050 yds, 57.7%, 23 TDs, 10 INTs

Rating: 6.39

mbrunell.jpg

Best Game: against the Chiefs: 331yds, 61.0%, 3 TDs, 0 INTs

1999: Brad Johnson – 4005 yds, 60.9%, 24 TDs, 13 INTs

Rating: 6.57

BradJ.jpg

Best Game: against the Panthers: 337 yds, 60.6%, 4 TDs, 0 INTs

So there you have it. I'm severely hoping that whoever we get as our next QB will have seasons that trump damn near all of these listed above :yes:...

angry_shanahan.jpg

Yeah, I know how you feel, Mike...

lol, that pic at the end says it all. That was after that 49ers game in which we witnessed, arguably, some of the worst QB play here ever. The team quit that day as well... you could just see it. I think that was the only time that ever happened since Shanahan has been here.

I miss Mark Brunell. I was raised a "Skins fan" but living in Tennessee, we rarely got to watch the games. 2005 and 2006 was when I was living in Baltimore and finally got to watch the whole season, and really became a true fan. Hard to believe that he's still in the league, as I thought he was on his last legs then, 5-6 years ago.

Man, reflecting on this is somewhat depressing, but I have faith it will get better. On some level I'm surprised, and then on some levels I'm not, that Patrick Ramsey isn't up there. What a flub that was.

Brad Johnson's 99 season was respectable, but to be #1. Jeez, we've got some work to do.

Thanks for putting all this together Califan.

All five of the starting OL on that '99 team were drafted in the first two rounds. Four of them didn't miss a start and the other started 12 games. But everyone knows all you need is a franchise QB to succeed in the NFL. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

1999 isn't 2012.

Also, an over the hill Andy Heck was the LT

Honestly, since the 1992 season, I think we've seen two good seasons and one of them is graded on a curve.

Brad Johnson in 1999 was the only performance that was truly top shelf.

Trent Green in 1998 wasn't quite as good as his stats however, as mentioned in the op, he was a career backup and nobody had any idea how he would do when Gus got benched. So lowered expectations help Trent.

Why do people who adore the elusive yet slow franchise QB have a disdain for stats? Why doesn't someone figure out how many franchise QBs over the years have switched teams to get behind one of the worst lines in the league? I honestly can't think of any over at least the past ten years. So I guess the Skins must rely on the draft.

What you say with sarcasm is more true than you are willing to admit.

I'd love to know how many INTs Rex threw while under pressure compared to him just plain sucking. I can remember 3-4 off the top of my head in one game against the Eagles? that got him benched. You can't blame the offensive line in that situation.

EDIT:

Did you know that 11 of 12 rookies suited up and contributed in games for the Redskins this past season. You can bet it would have been 12 of 12 if Jenkins wasn't injured. That's truly amazing for a team that saw like 1 player contribute from Vinny's draft class over the years. I have full confidence in the way this team is managed. I think they will do their best in the draft to put a quality product on the field.

• 1 year later...

Archived