Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1999 season opener - Cowboys OT - how long?

Reilly

Espn says the Broncos victory was quickest ever in OT. How long did it take for Rocket to score in the 1999 opener. That was only 76 yds (not 80 like Denver). Wasn't that the first play? Maybe the difference was that time elapsed for a Cowboys kickoff return, then that plus Rocket was more than the 11 seconds it took Denver?

Espn says the Broncos victory was quickest ever in OT. How long did it take for Rocket to score in the 1999 opener. That was only 76 yds (not 80 like Denver). Wasn't that the first play? Maybe the difference was that time elapsed for a Cowboys kickoff return, then that plus Rocket was more than the 11 seconds it took Denver?

They were four minutes into OT when Rocket scored the TD. Long long ride home. :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1999/gamerep/week1/redskins13.htm

Rypien1191, the yardage totday was the longest in PLAYOFF OT history, but the timing was -- I believe they said -- the quickest in NFL history, period.

Makes sense, as I assume today that no time ran off at the kickoff given the new kickoff distance, so touchback.

Thanks for the link to the Post recap.

Funny how memory works. My memory of the 1999 opener was that it was the very first play of OT -- not that the Skins had the ball first, nor that the Cowboys had to dig out of a hole.

I apologize for bringing the game up. I'm entitled to, however: I was there. With the flu (might explain my hazy memory). I had spent 17 years on the season ticket waiting list, and the 1999 opener was my very first regular season game as a season ticket holder. And it was against the Cowboys. And I got the flu ... but was not going to miss the game for anything, so loaded up on medications and sweated through the late summer afternoon.

Looking for the timing dealing with my original question, I came upon a highlight reel at NFL.com of the game ... had fogotten the botched snap at the end of regulation -- right through Matt Turk's hands ... and here Matt is still punting in the playoffs this weekend, 12.5 years later. And that of course echoes Dan Turk's last snap at the end of the 1999 season ....

---------- Post added January-8th-2012 at 10:16 PM ----------

RFKFedEx - no troll here. My earliest memories of life were watching the Redskins on Sundays. Still have my 35-year old burgundy and gold toboggan cap. Wrote the Skins when I was 14 years old asking to be put on the waiting list. Kept my address updated through countless moves over the next 17 years til I finally got tickets. Not a season ticket holder any more, and don't follow the Skins much at all any more, thanks to Snyder. But that's a story for a different day.

I apologize for bringing the game up. I'm entitled to, however: I was there. With the flu (might explain my hazy memory). I had spent 17 years on the season ticket waiting list, and the 1999 opener was my very first regular season game as a season ticket holder.
Yep. Me too. First game as a season ticket holder after 13 years on the waiting list.

You know who else's first game it was? Dan Snyder's first as owner of the team and we lost to our hated rivals after being up by 3 frickin' touchdowns! That guy is cursed I tell ya.

Yep. Me too. First game as a season ticket holder after 13 years on the waiting list.

You know who else's first game it was? Dan Snyder's first as owner of the team and we lost to our hated rivals after being up by 3 frickin' touchdowns! That guy is cursed I tell ya.

LOL, me too. I got on the wait in the fall of 1985 and got my letter in June 1999. I received a notice that there was a certified letter for me at the post office and I had to go down to the post office to get it. When they handed me the letter, I saw from the return address that it was from the Redskins. I thought, WTF, WHY are they sending me a certified letter telling me my wait list position? Then it hit me...they don't do that. I tore open the letter before I left the post office lobby and saw the good news.

The other thing about that game was the parking was totally &&^^%'ed up. I think that was the last game that they had on site cash parking.

---------- Post added January-10th-2012 at 12:12 AM ----------

That was Dave Williams for the Bears vs the Lions on Thanksgiving Day 1980.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS8OHJBn5aY

Thanks - Ball kicked off at the 6:50 mark, catches ball at 6:54 (clock starts here, right?) and he crosses the goal line at about 7:06 mark, so 12 seconds??

I thought there was a game where the opening kickoff was run back for a TD. I think it was a guy from the Lions who did it.

It was on Thanksgiving back in 1980... vs the Bears. The Bears returned the overtime opening kickoff for a TD, 21 seconds had elapsed off the clock.

(FTR I did pull that from memory that the play happened, before i noticed the response above.. but had to look it up to make sure. Hot dang!)

~Bang

As a Cowboys fan I remember that game very well. It was the first Cowboys-Redskins game I had ever gone to.

Glorious. :silly:

edit: I will say that the walk back to the car was a little dicey. Skins fans were pissed.

Was the first redskins cowboys game for me as well, going on 27 myself so we were both around the same age going to our first rivals game. As terrible as that ending was that is still the best memory as a season I have for the redskins in my lifetime, was only 6 the last time the redskins won a superbowl. That 1999 season with brad Johnson, Albert Connell, Michael Westbrook, was it Stephen Davis and terry Allen as well? Ah man it kinda sucks but that team is like my superbowl team memory, even won a playoff game and should have been in the NFC championship game playing against the 99 rams if it wasn't for that stupid botched field goal at the end of the divisional game!

Archived