Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where does Shanahan stand in Redskins history and with you if he is successful at rebuilding this team?

joeknows

Simple question... not so simple answer. so if Shanahan is successful in rebuilding this team and say we make the Superbowl within 2 years of the end of his 5 yr contract, (assuming he retires), does he stand on even footing with our beloved Joe Gibbs? I expect that age will be the determining factor in ones point of view here. for the younger fans i expect that they will remember Shanahan more fondly than Joe Gibbs since they didnt get to experience the magic he brought to the team in his first run, where he earned the love and respect of the older fans. While Joe was wildly successful and had some great teams and has obviously been the most successful coach of this franchise. is it possible that considering the condition of this team when Shanahan took over, that he could possibly deserve more respect for having done what we all began to think might be virtually impossible under the current ownership? I, for one, am conflicted. while i remember the Joe days, i was a kid. it was those teams that cemented me as a Redskins fan. how can anyone forget Riggos run, or Doug Williams amazing 2nd quarter,or the total dominator that was the 91 skins. And yet after 20 crappy years the team is so dysfunctional.... that in my opinion, turning it around is nothing short of a miracle itself. PS WHY WONT THIS THING LET ME MAKE PARAGRAPHS? I PUT THEM IN BUT THEY DONT TRANSFER TO THE POST ONCE POSTED??!!!!!

I am a younger fan, 22, and would say that for me, Shanahan would be the greatest thing to ever happen to the Redskins in my eyes. For my entire life, since I can remember, the Redskins have been all-hype, but remain insignificant. I never thought we would be a good team under Snyder's ownership.

If Shanny keeps building the way he has and actually has the team that I have loved for so many years, the team that never meets expectations, the team that no matter what can always break your heart, win the Superbowl and become a consistent winner, it would be a dream come true for me.

I have put in so much time, hope, and love into my fanhood and never been rewarded, so if Shanahan can finally turn the tables and make it all worth it, how could he not be #1 to me?

Also, will always love Gibbs.

I am a younger fan, 22, and would say that for me, Shanahan would be the greatest thing to ever happen to the Redskins in my eyes. For my entire life, since I can remember, the Redskins have been all-hype, but remain insignificant. I never thought we would be a good team under Snyder's ownership.

If Shanny keeps building the way he has and actually has the team that I have loved for so many years, the team that never meets expectations, the team that no matter what can always break your heart, win the Superbowl and become a consistent winner, it would be a dream come true for me.

I have put in so much time, hope, and love into my fanhood and never been rewarded, so if Shanahan can finally turn the tables and make it all worth it, how could he not be #1 to me?

Also, will always love Gibbs.

I have been a fan longer than this young fan has been alive and I would rank him up with the Gibbs era if he "Rights the ship."

Gibbs: 3 rings, 4 NFCCG championships, how many playoff appearances in 12 years?

Please. Not even close. I can almost guarantee that no coach in my lifetime will be revered in Skins lore with the same adulation as Joe Gibbs. And I wasn't even that crazy about his second time here.

George Allen made it to the SB his second season here, had a winning record in all seven seasons here, playoffs five times.

Shanny is doing a good job so far in trying to build the team right. But so far, his tenure might be compared to Norv's more than the other two guys I mentioned. We'll see what happens the next few seasons................

Depends how successful. If somehow reels of 4 or 5 then he will be considered one of the best coaches of all time not just for the 'skins, but the NFL. If he wins one Superbowl, then you have to put him below Gibbs, but probably into the Allen category.

Right now, his role with the 'skins (if he's successful) is that of Vince Lombardi. Lombardi coming to the 'skins helped the 'skins turn the corner from laughing stock to respectable. Lombardi didn't get the job done, but he was the catalyst that led to the successes of the 70's and 80's.

Shanahan has the potential to be that guy... though at the moment, he's in Pardee territory.

You would be correct. I think Parcells was the closest (SB win with the Giants, took the Cowboys to the playoffs).

Well, there have been a couple of coaches that won the SB with one team and took a second there but did not win (Parcells winning with the Giants and losing with the Pats would be a better example than his time with the pukes). Another example would be Holmgren winning with the Packers and losing with Seattle.

As to the OP, if Shanny (and let's not get ahead of ourselves) is able to right this ship, he would be only the fifth coacH, I believe, in the 80 year history of this franchise to get us to a championship game, third for a SB appearance. That has to speak for something. Though, Joe Jackson Gibbs was a master for over a decade with so much to work with. There is a reason why he is the only coach in NFL history to win three championships with three different QB's. It would be very hard to match him, and Shanny would have to be here for a LONG time to do it.

if we somehow win the sb in the next 5 years.....

1.gibbs

2.robiskie

3.shanahan

4. everyone else

You are so full of it. After Norv got fired, we got off to a rough start by getting blown out at Dallas and Pitt, but for Robiskie (RobiNskie to Deion) to turn it around and win that last game against the Cardinals in 2000 was nothing short of miraculous. To put him below Gibbs is a travesty :)

Another thing to consider is that, no matter what happens here, barring a true dynasty run, Shanny is going to go into the HOF and be mainly remembered as the coach of the Denver Broncos. Sure, I want Mike to do well here and it really doesn't matter as long as we win, but at some point I want this team to have its own coaching hero here, much like when we took that Chargers coordinator in the early 80s.

Many of you need to take a step back, imo.

I absolutely, LOVE what he's doing so far in the rebuilding process and the players we have brought in here & drafted.

But I judge off results.

Not potential or promise.

If he were to win us a SB in the next 2 seasons?

Then yes, he would probably rank right behind Gibbs & Allen to me.

Specially taking this mess we had & turning it into a title contender.

But right now, he has a worse 2 season record than Steve Spurrier & Jim Zorn.

Now I think we can all agree, that we are heading in the right direction.

And way more, than those 2 bums were doing for us.

But lets wait and see on Shanny, please.

What if we don't draft a QB or trade for some other teams garbage QB, like we seem to always do & go nowhere and have a repeat-rinse...repeat-rinse....repeat-rinse scenario?

Still gonna feel good about it?

No..I'll reserve my judgment, till after the Draft & Off Season.

But so far...I like what I see.

If Shanahan successfully turns this team around, as in annual playoff contenders/Super Bowl contention, he should be in talks for Hall of Fame.

He won two Super Bowls in Denver and had a nice run even after Elway retired before three straight non-playoff seasons prompted Bowlen to go in a different direction. Shanahan is likely a strong HOF candidate as it is.

The whole premise of the thread was predicated on shanny being successful. See the thread title.

I personally feel he will be successful, but nobody is putting him in the class of Allen and certainly not Gibbs yet.

Ummmm.......the OP's first sentence pretty much asks if Shanny will be put in the same class as Gibbs if he even MAKES the Super Bowl in a seven-year tenure here.

The answer: not even close.

For those who don't remember, Joe went back-to-back SB appearances in years 2-3 of his tenure. And while he had Bobby Beathard here as a great GM and Theismann and Riggo here from previous regimes, he also inherited a team that went 8-8, 10-6, 6-10 the previous three years.

Lets not pretend like Joe inherited the '85 Bears.

Shanny wins X1 SB=Ranks behind Gibbs & Allen for 3rd to me. Although Allen didn't win SB Xll,I have high regard/respect for him and what he did with the "Over the Hill Gang"

Shanny wins X2 SB's=Shanny immediately bumps Allen for 2nd place & behind Gibbs.

Shanny wins X3 SB's=Shanny becomes tied with our beloved Joe Gibbs. I won't rank him higher because Shanny will have probably done it with the same QB. Gibbs will be the Boss who did it with 3 different QB's, which is more impressive still, imo)

Shanny wins X4 SB's=Shanny becomes Redskins Legend and top dog in DC. Also become a 6X SB winning head coach and Snyder has him coaching here, when he's older than Paterno...lol)

Archived