Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins - Last in NFL in turnover differential

CRobi21

u probably have to look at it this way... our starting safeties are supposed to be Landry and Atogwe.

I think those 2 guys have started a combined 8 or 9 games this season.

Only problem is Landry is no ballhawk. He has 4 interceptions in his career. He'd have more if he played the ball more instead of trying to kill every receiver with armless missile tackles. OJ, hopefully can help next year if he's healthy.

I would expect a lot of turnovers when you can't protect the QB nor run the ball for most of the year. Skins are 30th in the league in QB hits and 31st with the run game. This is the most unstable offense in terms of switching personnel that I've followed in a long time. Chemistry does mean something in real football too, but probably not Madden or Fanatasy Football.

I thought the point of switching D's was that the 3-4 cause more turnovers

Nothing really "causes" more turnovers. At least nothing provable. Sacks certainly have an impact on fumbles - fumble recoveries are completely arbitrary.

The Saints went from 26 interceptions in 2009 to 9 in 2010. Nothing changed on their defense. They just regressed to the mean.

Only problem is Landry is no ballhawk. He has 4 interceptions in his career. He'd have more if he played the ball more instead of trying to kill every receiver with armless missile tackles. OJ, hopefully can help next year if he's healthy.

Landry would cause the other type of turnover, the type that dislodges the ball from player's hands.

I think haslett was probably banking on Dhall for the INTs and Kerrigan/front 7 for the FF. There have been some FF, but DHall has just absolutely disappeared and become mr drama queen in the process.

On top of that, Rex makes it an uphill battle to get on the positive side of that number. I think we knew CB still needs some players but now we do more than ever because I'm convinced DHall has got to go.

Hopefully, a new QB can play next year (at some point) as well and Jenkins being back and Kerrigan in year 2...should help the DBs by forcing bad throws, etc.

Meanwhile this stat is really just another way to point out how bad Rex is at protecting the ball. We already knew that.

Have to remember also: rookies are bound to throw a lot of picks. I wouldn't hold my breath on leading the league in TO #s any time soon

Landry would cause the other type of turnover, the type that dislodges the ball from player's hands.

Does he? He has 6 of those. That means he has 2 takeaways a season for his career. Let's just call it how it is, he's a run stuffing, hard hitting strong safety. His intent is to take out players and make sure they know he's in charge of his area. If he would try harder to get turnovers instead of trying to maul opposing players, I bet he'd have 20 at this time. I think it took Dawkins a few seasons to figure it out, hopefully the light comes on for Landry.

I really doubt that.

Why do you doubt that? Landry has been injury plagued the last two years. Achilles problems tend to linger. He's not a very good coverage safety, but he is pretty solid in run support. He blitzes well, but he misses too many tackles. He's an athletic freak.

That's my assessment of Landry. If he demands a high dollar amount, I don't see him being worth it.

I really doubt that.

Why would you doubt it? He doesn't play and when he does play, is more worried about throwing people to the ground after a fifteen yard gain so he can wag his finger in their face rather than actually making plays that will help the football team win. Aside from one good quarter of a season, he has been undeserving of being the 6th pick overall his entire career. In no way does he deserve the money he's currently getting, let alone the money he will be seeking for his second contract.

We may also want to consider the new HGH testing.

Let somebody else sign him, hopefully to a big contract, and pick up a compensatory pick.

Does he? He has 6 of those. That means he has 2 takeaways a season for his career. Let's just call it how it is, he's a run stuffing, hard hitting strong safety. His intent is to take out players and make sure they know he's in charge of his area. If he would try harder to get turnovers instead of trying to maul opposing players, I bet he'd have 20 at this time. I think it took Dawkins a few seasons to figure it out, hopefully the light comes on for Landry.

I don;t think Dawkins has been the same since Mike Sellers trucked him...

I know Carlos Rodgers was not highly thought of on this site (he's only called "Stone Hands" here), but the truth is, he was a very good cornerback. He was very good in coverage and played the run well also. They gave DeAngelo Hall a big payday to get him here, but were unwlling to pay for one that was drafted here. Letting Rogers leave was a mistake. I think the Skins could have matched or beaten the 4 million San Francsio gave him for a one year contract. Carlos was certainly better than Wilson or Buchanon and arguably better than Deangelo. His numbers this year have certainly proved that with 5 of San Fran's 18 interceptions. His total of 5 is almost as good as out team total of 6.

Yes Rex is a big problem. But from Ryan Clark to Antonio Pierce to Carlos Rogers, the recurring theme is that the Skins don't keep their home grown talent unless they're big on jersey sales. That's a management issue that stems from the top.

Isn't Landy just a slightly more athletic Roy Williams?

I'd say he's a bit better than Roy due to anticipation and a slight edge in coverage' date=' but as a whole, yes.

I know Carlos Rodgers was not highly thought of on this site (he's only called "Stone Hands" here), but the truth is, he was a very good cornerback. He was very good in coverage and played the run well also. They gave DeAngelo Hall a big payday to get him here, but were unwlling to pay for one that was drafted here. Letting Rogers leave was a mistake. I think the Skins could have matched or beaten the 4 million San Francsio gave him for a one year contract. Carlos was certainly better than Wilson or Buchanon and arguably better than Deangelo. His numbers this year have certainly proved that with 5 of San Fran's 18 interceptions. His total of 5 is almost as good as out team total of 6.

You're neglecting the fact that Carlos didn't seem to want to be a Redskin. It's not just about the team wanting the guy, the guy has to want the team. Do you remember all the stuff that he said to the media in regards to being here? You could tell he was sick of his situation and wanted out. We don't even know if the 'Skins offered Rogers any kind of contract, as far as I know. We may have, and he may have taken less to go to San Francisco in order to earn a much larger payday the next year.

Yes Rex is a big problem. But from Ryan Clark to Antonio Pierce to Carlos Rogers, the recurring theme is that the Skins don't keep their home grown talent unless they're big on jersey sales. That's a management issue that stems from the top.

Rex has nothing to do with that issue as he's not homegrown. We kept Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen (for as long as he was serviceable, anyways). We resigned Rock Cartwright until he was no longer our best option. Mike Sellers is still here.

The problem is the continuing shift in coaching staffs and philosophies. We went from the Fun N Gun to the Smashmouth power offense, to the West Coast Offense to the zone scheme. We've shifted offensive and now defensive philosophies so many times, keeping a lot of homegrown guys simply wasn't an issue.

The problem is continuity. Nothing more. If we gain continuity, you will see more of our home grown talent stick around.

this is whats so nuts. when people talk about bringing him back as a bridge QB, i know that knowing the system is important, but what needs to be weighed is, would we be better off with a more ball control oriented QB to be the placeholder who might not know the system as well, than rex who knows the system but is almost a lock for 2 turnovers a game?

i agree. i DO NOT WANT our next franchise QB learning a damn thing from Rex.

You know, I always thought the whole grooming thing was over rated. When has it ever worked out?

The two more famous instances of smooth transitions between Franchise QBs were Montana to Young (who hated each other/there wasn't much grooming going on there) and Favre to Rodgers (who hated each other/there wasn't much grooming going on there).

So when did this thing work well? Ever?

You keep Rex Grossman because he knows the offense. We know what he is, but if our rookie goes down, you want someone who has confidence in the offense. See Todd Collins a few years ago for why that comes in handy.

HAIL!

---------- Post added December-15th-2011 at 10:59 AM ----------

I wouldn't be too sorry to see both Hall and Landry elsewhere next year personally.

Hail.

I am definately with you there. I'd like to see a Brent Grimes come in here or another hard worker from another squad. These two can take there post first down tackle celebrations elsewhere.

HAIL!

I'm sure Rex is very well-versed in what he's supposed to do. Knowing what you're supposed to do and actually doing it are very, very different things.

To put it another way, a lot of great coaches were very mediocre (if not bad) football players. By your logic they should never have been given a shot. Gibbs, Walsh, and both Shanahans sure as hell were never NFL quality talents yet all of them possessed a good enough knowledge of the game to make it in coaching.

I'm sure Rex is very well-versed in what he's supposed to do. Knowing what you're supposed to do and actually doing it are very, very different things.

the point is grossman offers nothing to this franchise. he is a turnover machine and has no future here, and even as a placeholder has little value due to his inability to protect the football. if he was throwing 3 TDs a game and throwing 2 picks, fine, but he usually throws 1-2, adds in a fumble, i have to believe he leads the league in intentional grounding penalties, and overall he just doesnt offer much value.

id rather us start a rookie if hes ready or have an orton/rosenfels type that protects the ball a little better and keeps the seat warm for our next franchise QB. and frankly (and id assume im speaking for lots of fans), im frigging tired of watching rex grossman play football.

id rather us start a rookie if hes ready or have an orton/rosenfels type that protects the ball a little better and keeps the seat warm for our next franchise QB. and frankly (and id assume im speaking for lots of fans), im frigging tired of watching rex grossman play football.

Rosenfels had 23 turnovers in 15 games as a Texan. I'm not so sure he's what you want and most backup QBs are somewhat like that. Orton will likely try to go somewhere where he can start without being supplanted by a rookie in year one.

Archived