Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins - Last in NFL in turnover differential

CRobi21

Grantland did a study on this and turnover differential is a very fluky stat. It changes year to year. I'd almost rather be last this year because it means we'll be closer to the top next year when we might actually have a meaningful season. Too much luck involved in turnovers, especially fumble recoveries which are almost entirely luck. We have forced quite a few fumbles but never seem to recover them.

We're about middle of the road in forced fumbles (13). Your point has merit though.

I think part of it is the fact that Atogwe and Landry haven't been healthy for most of the year. They are the guys who you expect to play center field for you. Yeah, we've also dropped a lot of interceptions (some thing never change).

You also aren't doing your defense any favors if you can't take care of the ball.

I'm not condoning Interceptus Rexus in the slightest BLC. My feelings on him are well known on here.

But by the same token I'm not going to excuse or over praise what has been a very limited DC throughout his career; and one who's shown me anyway's little to suggest he'll ever be anything different here.

Hail.

fair point, and im not a huuuuge haslett fan, but i think hes a solid coordinator. id like to at least see what he has to offer when our offense isnt a complete doormat before we get somebody else in here.

the biggest problem with out Defence is that the Offence cant keep them off the paddock long enough, once this has been resolved the Defence will play as we all know it should, but whilst we are passing the ball to CB's Safetys or LB's we are going to pay for it

if only the defense could leave rex in the raptor paddock long enough we might have a shot.

You also get more turnovers when you are up and the other team has to throw. See Green Bay! Alot harder to get turnovers when you are the one playing catch up.

The def. has given up 14,22,18,10,20,33,23,19, 20,27,17,34,34.

*Considering how much Rex has been playing for the Oppositon this year, i just cannot put much fault on the defense.

We don't do a good job of getting interceptions or forcing fumbles. I don't think we have the right corners for the type of defense we're running. As much as people portray DeAngelo Hall as an aggressive corner, he is rarely around the ball when it is in play. He gives a big cushion to WR's, he doesn't like to get a jam, he is typically yards away when a pass is being thrown and doesn't even have an opportunity to break on the ball, and after the catch he avoids most contact meaning he doesn't typically force dropped passes or fumbles. Hell we saw how much he likes contact on A. The Jake Delhomme scramble a few years ago, and B. The Gronkowski super-run on Sunday. Sure the coverage things could be because of the defensive scheme. Then again we may run that defensive scheme because of Hall's limitations.

I have read a lot of hate for Josh Wilson, but at least he is a more physical corner. To be honest he doesn't get thrown on as much as people make out and at least most of the time it looks like he's getting a jam on receivers and disrupting their routes.

With the pass rush we have, the sacks we get, the hits and disruptions on the QB, there isn't any reason we should have such a low number of interceptions.

In ten games, Rex Grossman has turned the ball over in every single one of them.

Ten games.

He's had games of:

1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 2, 1, 2 (+1), 2 (+1), 2 (+1).

*Note: the (+1) = additional fumbles that he didn't lose. Without the additional fumbles, he's averaging 2 turnovers a game. By himself.

Going back to last year, he played in four games... He turned the ball over in all four.

So in 14 games that Grossman has started and/or appeared in, he's turned the ball over in EVERY single one. EVERY one.

By no means am I a Rex defender, but saying that all those turnovers are "by himself" is a bit of a stretch. For example, are you suggesting that the one off of Moss' hands at the end of the Pats game was "by himself?" I don't think so. He's had more than a couple assists on those INTs this year.

cant blame haslett for our DBs having carlos rogers syndrome. dhall has dropped way too many, wilson a few, our linebackers have never really been able to catch either, and we really didnt have a ballhawking safety this year, despite what we wish landry and atogwe were coming into the season.

and we'll never win a turnover battle with rex. ever. he turns the ball over right around 2 times a game, god for 32 times a season.

This is a good point, we have poor free safety play -- seems to be a deep draft for that position so maybe we draft one. With Atogwe and Landry safety looked like a strength when the season started but the end result looks bad. Ironically with Landry as a free agent and Atogww being past 30, this positon is likely going to need some focus in the off season

---------- Post added December-14th-2011 at 11:58 AM ----------

By no means am I a Rex defender, but saying that all those turnovers are "by himself" is a bit of a stretch. For example, are you suggesting that the one off of Moss' hands at the end of the Pats game was "by himself?" I don't think so. He's had more than a couple assists on those INTs this year.

He also got lucky on the INT that was called back in that same game, even shanny thought the penalty on Carter was questionable. This isn't to your point but to some of Rex defenders who imply the dude is just plain unlucky. IMO it can't simply be that Rex is the most unlucky Qb in the league during his NFL tenure, and or has the dumbest and most incompetent Wrs in the league both with the Bears and the Skins -- instead, I suspect his play has something to do with it.

and this can go the other way, as there have been plenty of times where rex has thrown horrendous passes that were gimmie INTs that were dropped by defenders. so it always balances out.

it doesnt seem like our players are in position to get turnovers. when the opposing team fumbles, theres no one around to pick it up. when they throw a bad pass, theres no defenders in the area. at first i thought it was the players, but now im starting to think it haslett and the plays he calls. he has to get our players in better position. d hall gets thrown on a lot, so every now and then when he plays off a receiver, have the safety come rushing in to jump in between. we need more players around the ball.

He also got lucky on the INT that was called back in that same game, even shanny thought the penalty on Carter was questionable. This isn't to your point but to some of Rex defenders who imply the dude is just plain unlucky. IMO it can't simply be that Rex is the most unlucky Qb in the league during his NFL tenure, and or has the dumbest and most incompetent Wrs in the league both with the Bears and the Skins -- instead, I suspect his play has something to do with it.

Rex seems to make 3-4 of these dumb passes a game. It is a question of whether or not a defense can capitalize on those mistakes. It leaves little margin for error when an error is made elsewhere.

And yes, I do kinda question Rex's decision to throw the ball to Santana at that point, who didn't have much seperation and didn't look like he was going to go much farther if he had caught the ball.

This is a result of three things

1. Rex Grossman is the QB

2. The secondary can barely cover, let alone make a play

3. The league figured out Kerrigan is the turnover threat, so they've shifted focus on him. Orakpo hasn't stepped up. As a result, we've put minimal pressure on the QB in the last three games. Combine that with 1 & 2 and.here we are.

This is a result of three things

1. Rex Grossman is the QB

2. The secondary can barely cover, let alone make a play

3. The league figured out Kerrigan is the turnover threat, so they've shifted focus on him. Orakpo hasn't stepped up. As a result, we've put minimal pressure on the QB in the last three games. Combine that with 1 & 2 and.here we are.

kind of a shame about orakpo. very odd that he just cant get it going so it would seem. since 11/6 he has .5 sacks. thats just not good enough for a guy thats supposed to be the man. hes really gotta get better.

this year's redskins recipe for winning is controlling the TOP and win or at least have a neutral turnover margin.

we just dont have enough firepower to do otherwise.. its no suprise we're losing.

i do expect our defense to generate more turnovers in the future, i think we might have been a little unlucky in that regard so far.

Citing Rex is obvious, the guy is a turn over machine. If he's not throwing INTs at key moments he's holding onto it too long and getting blown up in the backfield (and fumbling).

I would add also that while our defense appears to be up and coming, we don't appear to have any or many ballhawking defenders ala Ed Reid or Patrick Willis. We need more playmakers on defense that manufacture/create turnovers. I just don't see many now and I can't credit DeAngelo because I have a deep seated dislike of the guy. For every INT he's gonna give up 3 gamebreakers for the opposition. He celebrates the most mundane of plays. Annoying as all get out to me.

It looks like our safeties have all of 1 interception for zero yards returned. If I'm right that's pretty horrendous. Either our safeties suck or the scheme doesn't put them in a position to make a play. There's also injuries to take into account. Regardless I think in order it's probably Suck, Injuries and lastly Scheme.

It looks like our safeties have all of 1 interception for zero yards returned. If I'm right that's pretty horrendous. Either our safeties suck or the scheme doesn't put them in a position to make a play. There's also injuries to take into account. Regardless I think in order it's probably Suck, Injuries and lastly Scheme.

u probably have to look at it this way... our starting safeties are supposed to be Landry and Atogwe.

I think those 2 guys have started a combined 8 or 9 games this season.

Archived