Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins - Last in NFL in turnover differential

CRobi21

Just checked this stat on ESPN. Breaks it down by conference but we are also behind every team in the AFC. -14 on the season. Basically one turnover per game behind our opponents.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/givetake/league/nfc

We're tied for 2nd most interceptions thrown in the NFL (20) and also pretty low on the takeaway ladder, with only 5 teams having less takeaways than us (16).

Last year we focused on turnovers and did better but this year they've been completely absent. We rarely get picks. Very weird especially considering we have been pretty good at pressure.

Of course when our QB averages 3 a game it's hard to keep up but the defense has also been a let down in this department.

Our D is improved but still not creating enough turnovers. I would argue they have even taken a small step back in that department from last year. (I don't have any numbers to back that up so forgive me if I am wrong)

Also I am sure this has been covered but you need to get rid of the ball Rex. I can handle mistakes but 2 sack fumbles in 2 weeks from sitting in the pocket to long. You supposed to be a veteran learn from you mistakes.

We haven't won the turnover battle outright in a game since the week 16 win in Jacksonville last year.

14 games ago. Think about that for a moment. FOURTEEN straight games the Redskins have been on the wrong side of the takeaway stat.

For an (alleged) attacking 34 D that's nothing shy of criminal. Haslett has been given extra pieces, and still he's failing on his end. I wouldn't be at all sorry to see him replaced to a competent 34 DC that can utilize his personnel better and be more inventive in what he does to force the turnovers the work of the front end of this D deserves.

Hail.

We haven't won the turnover battle outright in a game since the week 16 win in Jacksonville last year.

14 games ago. Think about that for a moment. FOURTEEN straight games the Redskins have been on the wrong side of the takeaway stat.

For an (alleged) attacking 34 D that's nothing shy of criminal. Haslett has been given extra pieces, and still he's failing on his end. I wouldn't be at all sorry to see him replaced to a competent 34 DC that can utilize his personnel better and be more inventive in what he does to force the turnovers the work of the front end of this D deserves.

Hail.

cant blame haslett for our DBs having carlos rogers syndrome. dhall has dropped way too many, wilson a few, our linebackers have never really been able to catch either, and we really didnt have a ballhawking safety this year, despite what we wish landry and atogwe were coming into the season.

and we'll never win a turnover battle with rex. ever. he turns the ball over right around 2 times a game, god for 32 times a season.

In ten games, Rex Grossman has turned the ball over in every single one of them.

Ten games.

He's had games of:

1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 2, 1, 2 (+1), 2 (+1), 2 (+1).

*Note: the (+1) = additional fumbles that he didn't lose. Without the additional fumbles, he's averaging 2 turnovers a game. By himself.

Going back to last year, he played in four games... He turned the ball over in all four.

So in 14 games that Grossman has started and/or appeared in, he's turned the ball over in EVERY single one. EVERY one.

In ten games, Rex Grossman has turned the ball over in every single one of them.

Ten games.

He's had games of:

1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 2, 1, 2 (+1), 2 (+1), 2 (+1).

*Note: the (+1) = additional fumbles that he didn't lose. Without the additional fumbles, he's averaging 2 turnovers a game. By himself.

Going back to last year, he played in four games... He turned the ball over in all four.

So in 14 games that Grossman has started and/or appeared in, he's turned the ball over in EVERY single one. EVERY one.

this is whats so nuts. when people talk about bringing him back as a bridge QB, i know that knowing the system is important, but what needs to be weighed is, would we be better off with a more ball control oriented QB to be the placeholder who might not know the system as well, than rex who knows the system but is almost a lock for 2 turnovers a game?

I'd need to sit down and take a look later, but I doubt there's many starting QB's this year of at least 10 games that you could plug in stat wise that would make that great a difference given the pathetic takeaway output from the defense.

Hail.

I think you should do it the other way around...because I doubt there's many defenses this year that could overcome the plethora of turnovers the offense--and particularly Grossman--have given up game after game after game.

I think you should do it the other way around...because I doubt there's many defenses this year that could overcome the plethora of turnovers the offense--and particularly Grossman--have given up game after game after game.

Oh, no question the offense, and Grossman in particular has been a major blight on the D all year. But it still doesn't excuse the pathetic takeaway numbers from an attacking 34 D. This D has improved tenfold, but it still has a heck of a ways to go to be what it's intended to be. And I personally don't think it will ever reach that level with such a limited thinking DC running it; regardless of talent or lack there of at the back end in particular.

FWIW, out of my own personal curiosity, I shall sit down and look at the numbers league wide both ways later.

Hail.

something not being discussed either is hasletts gameplans. he cant be as aggressive as he'd like because he knows our offense is a joke. he has no chance for gambling because the offense cannot recover if we lose. turnovers are always big risk big reward, and we do not have an offense that can withstand any sort of risk.

i fully believe that if our offense showed it could score points and move the ball consistently, we'd see haslett dial up a more aggressive defense which in turn would net us more turnovers (but it might give up some more big plays).

You could argue he's been too over aggressive at oft crucial times this year instead of taking what he's given and playing smart ball. His one dimensional style has bitten us on the ass more than once.

Hail.

just on those 0 blitzes two times. and yes they ended up not working. but look at the score of that cowboys game, 18-16, rex got the ball back with 1:47 down by 2 in an inside dome stadium with 2 timeouts. a real offense marches down the field and kicks that field goal.

rex grossman makes one nice pass, then either:

A. fumbles

B. throws a pick

C. gets sacked

D. gets sacked and fumbles

Oh, no question the offense, and Grossman in particular has been a major blight on the D all year. But it still doesn't excuse the pathetic takeaway numbers from an attacking 34 D. This D has improved tenfold, but it still has a heck of a ways to go to be what it's intended to be. And I personally don't think it will ever reach that level with such a limited thinking DC running it; regardless of talent or lack there of at the back end in particular.

FWIW, out of my own personal curiosity, I shall sit down and look at the numbers league wide both ways later.

Hail.

We've given the ball away 30 times on offense...there are only two defenses in the league who have generated 30 or more takeaways.

And we have the added problem of having an offense that, for the most part, could not take advantage OF those turnovers and short fields the defense gave it. Defense gets an INT, gives the offense the ball on the opponent's 5 yard line...and it results in a missed field goal :ols: :doh:...

So the offense it doing a double whammy on the defense by both turning the ball over wayyyyyy too much AND failing to capitalize on the turnovers the defense gives it.

Can we blame all of this on the QB?

Don't remember that we had a lot of fumbles (outside the QB who hold the ball to long) or INT's who where created by WR's. So.....probally.

Boooh at our QB's XD

D# is also pretty dissapointing in takeaways. We want to be agressive force turnovers, but it doesn't work out that great.

Grantland did a study on this and turnover differential is a very fluky stat. It changes year to year. I'd almost rather be last this year because it means we'll be closer to the top next year when we might actually have a meaningful season. Too much luck involved in turnovers, especially fumble recoveries which are almost entirely luck. We have forced quite a few fumbles but never seem to recover them.

Archived