Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Under Mike Shanahan, Redskins’ roster could benefit from more delegation, better scouting infrastructure, NFL observers say

authentic

I think it could benefit from more talent.

Did you even read the article? Random drive by posts without reading the article are maddening. Where is that Jumbo B2A thread anyways.

As to the OP, I have always believe our scouting dept and front office was one of the weakest scouting departments in the league.

Did you even read the article? Random drive by posts without reading the article are maddening. Where is that Jumbo B2A thread anyways.

As to the OP, I have always believe our scouting dept and front office was one of the weakest scouting departments in the league.

I suppose your one line response was far more insightful than mine.

I have often said this is the area where our TREMENDOUS revenue stream should be a benefit to us. We should have the best, most extensive back office in the league, but we don't.

There is no salary cap on team infrastructure like college and pro scouting departments.

I was under the impression from interviews in years past had Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown as two of the brightest personnel guys in the league and could be in line for GM jobs around the league. Now people are saying the opposite. The Charlie Casserly quote I agree with and is the only one with the balls to put his name with a quote. It takes time!

I have ofteen said this is the area where our TREMENDOUS revenue stream should be a benefit to us. We should have the best, most extensive pensive back office in the league but we don't.

There is no salary cap on team infrastructure like college and pro scouting departments.

Exactly...why we don't literally double our scouting department makes no sense to me. If you think you're doing OK with 2 pro scouts and 5 college scouts, why not make it 4 and 10? Also, in my opinion, you need to constantly be looking for innovative ideas from successful places. For example, find a lower-level guy who seems promising from New England or Baltimore and offer him 2x his salary to come in and implement some changes to the way you do business. It could be that we have talented scouts and personnel guys, but we're just not organized in an optimal way.

---------- Post added December-13th-2011 at 12:50 PM ----------

I was under the impression from interviews in years past had Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown as two of the brightest personnel guys in the league and could be in line for GM jobs around the league. Now people are saying the opposite. The Charlie Casserly quote I agree with and is the only one with the balls to put his name with a quote. It takes time!

I have heard this too and hope, if true, we ultimately make Brown our GM while making Allen something else (Executive VP of Whatever).

I have ofteen said this is the area where our TREMENDOUS revenue stream should be a benefit to us. We should have the best, most extensive pensive back office in the league but we don't.

I agree with you. But, how do we account for the reports that says Vinny often ignored the scouting dept reports on players. I've even read that Morocco Brown had Jordy Nelson high on his board vs Devin Thomas and Kelly, but Vinny went in the other direction. (This is just an example). Then you enter Bruce & Shanny, suddenly you get 12 picks where 9 of them are contributing right away to the team?

This article holds very little weight with me. I don't think there has ever been a problem with the scouting department. If anything, I feel this article should be written about Cerrato and how he disregarded the scouting staff. The article admits that Shanahan and Co. have drafted 18 players in two years (take a deep breath, read the beginning of this sentence again and smile) and 16 of those 18 are on this roster, whether it be as practice squad guys, contributors, or in Williams case is a starter but is suspended. That's 89% of the guys he's drafted.

I don't think anyone on here would argue that this roster is not better now than it was when he got here. No one would argue that Shanahan did not, at the very least, hit on 11 out of 12 draft picks last year given where the guys were drafted. Maurice Hurt looks like a STEAL for a 7th rounder - he may only ever be a backup, but he's been a pretty damn good one even as a spot starter as a rookie.

This board would probably unanimously agree that last year's draft was the best we've had in over a decade from top to bottom. We got Perry Riley in the 4th last year and Trent was definitely the better pick over Okung (both have missed significant time but Williams is the better player). So whatever the scouting department is doing or who is making the picks or who is listening to who, it is working. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

>18 draft picks in 2 years

>14 of 18 are on the team

>4 potential long-term pieces (Williams, Riley, Helu, Kerrigan)

>others have started or recieved significant playing time (Gomes, Neild)

>ignoring undrafted guys like Armstrong or Banks

>ignoring signings like KL and trades like Carriker

>criticizing the organization's ability to pick players

Honestly, to hell with our sports media.

I have often said this is the area where our TREMENDOUS revenue stream should be a benefit to us. We should have the best, most extensive back office in the league, but we don't.

Agree.

A 5 million dollar scouting department is 1/8 the guranteed money we paid Haynesworth, yet would yeild 100 million in results

Its baffling to me

I don't know. Save for McNabb (and that was only in hindsight, because EVERYONE thought he could still play), the roster decisions have been pretty spot on, from the draft to free agency. It seems to me as if the scouting wasn't the problem, it was the guy who made the decisions (Vinny) that made the scouting department look horrendous. Until there's a bevy of horrible personnel moves, I can't really find anything to complain about. Seems to me like the WaPo is looking to incite some stuff here.

Exactly. If we were willing to pay twice the salary across the board for scouts plus incentives we would become the go-to place for the best scouts in the country. It would be a huge advantage and cost peanuts.

This board would probably unanimously agree that last year's draft was the best we've had in over a decade from top to bottom. We got Perry Riley in the 4th last year and Trent was definitely the better pick over Okung (both have missed significant time but Williams is the better player). So whatever the scouting department is doing or who is making the picks or who is listening to who, it is working. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

you got a vote from me. I've felt this way for a while.

---------- Post added December-13th-2011 at 01:00 PM ----------

>4 potential long-term pieces (Williams, Riley, Helu, Kerrigan).

6 if you add Hankerson and Jenkins. Based on the praise from the coaching staff, they could be potential stars in the league.

This would be my ideal front office/scouting structure. The pro scouts would watch every other NFL team week in and week out, helping with gameplanning and scouting of potential FA's. They would know that team as well as we know the Redskins

The college scouts will monitor each conference, know every player inside and out in that conference, as well as players who may be in drafts 2-3 years down the line.

The pro scouts can help with the college scouts after the FA period is relatively over and prior to the draft.

I bet this would cost, with travel, per diem, staff, etc, 10 million or less per year (save for the Shanny contract).

Well freakin worth it considering how much we have spent on guranteed money for FA's the last decade

I don't know. Save for McNabb (and that was only in hindsight, because EVERYONE thought he could still play), the roster decisions have been pretty spot on, from the draft to free agency. It seems to me as if the scouting wasn't the problem, it was the guy who made the decisions (Vinny) that made the scouting department look horrendous. Until there's a bevy of horrible personnel moves, I can't really find anything to complain about. Seems to me like the WaPo is looking to incite some stuff here.

Precisely. And it's refreshing to see the support for Shanny in this thread. If anything, this just shows me that perhaps he doesn't have the massive ego everyone claims he has where it's his guys or no one at all. I take from this article that he was smart enough to see we HAD a talented scouting department, and kept them in place and LET THEM DO THEIR JOBS instead of making boneheaded Vinny decisions. Can't complain about the personell decisions the last two years in the slightest.

There might be some things that can improve, but this past offseason seems to be a good one. Kerrigan is a beast. Word was that Jarvis Jenkins was a beast and one of our better players, until his injury. Hankerson seemed to come on strong but unfortunately got injured. Helu looks like a star in the making. We seem to be improving or doing fine lately in regards to scouting. I'd look more into our training staff before our scouting staff, to see if there is anything we can do to improve anything that can reduce injuries.

That's what I'm thinking. Everything we've been hearing from our insiders suggest that the scouts and player personnel we have now are very talented, and despite the fact that everyone claims Mike doesn't listen to them, seems pretty obvious that he did actually listen to them in terms of the quality of the guys we drafted.

But, ultimately, this is a sign that the Washington sports media is becoming increasingly cut off from the organization, since they had to talk to OTHER organizations who have no frakking clue what they're talking about to get anything for this article. Not a single quote that's based on anything anyone here actually said, no facts to back up their claims, just mindless bull**** trying to push an agenda that's easily proven wrong if you really pay attention.

Archived