Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are you still a Redskins fan?

KCClybun

I grew up in Giants country but I've been a Redskins fan for as long as I can remember. I think I was first drawn to the running style of Riggins and I felt the need to be different when I was surrounded by annoying Giants fans when I was growing. My dad never tried to "force" me to be a Giants fan which in hindsight is probabably strange. I'm the only Redskins fan in my family.

I find it interesting to see so many comments about people that can't understand or distrust people that aren't fans of their hometown team. I travel a lot and have moved around quite a bit and it's rare for me to run into other Redskins fans. I can't imagine ever loving another team despite all the mocking and abuse that I take for it from friends, family and coworkers. I can walk to M & T Bank stadium from where I live and it would be so much easier and enjoyable to be a Ravens fan but I can't even consider dropping the Redskins. I have quite a few friends in Baltimore that dropped their favorite team and became Ravens fans. I'd quit watching football before I switched teams.

Been a fan of the burgundy and gold since 1980. I hold allegiance to it its in my blood. Players like Green, Monk, Manley, Bostic, McKenzie, Theismann etc. They are the reason Im still a fan. No deep allegiance to these players today wearing my beloved colors. Short of Fletcher, Cooley im just not feeling it.

If not for the colors I would no longer be a fan. If that makes sense to some.

Ahh, bandwagon fans. Got to love them. The truth is, most people become fans of teams for really ridiculous reasons. They like a given team's color scheme or their logo. They became interested in football at a time that particular team was winning. The "cool" kid liked them, or some girl you wanted to get with liked them and you were trying to impress. They like a particular player and root for the team that player is on. Like all the DMV Bulls fans back in Michael Jordan's hey day. (Where are they now?) Most people are casual fans, and they don't have the level of emotional investment the die hards do. For example, I know a guy who claimed to be a Redskins fan, who switched to his wife's team (Colts) when they married. (Seriously, how the hell can somebody do that? lol)

For me, the Redskins were the home team, who also happened to be winning at the time. Pretty cool. The Baltimore Orioles were also the home Baseball team for me as well, so that's why I'll never be a Nationals fan. My loyalty and allegiance can't be switched or turned off so easily. I'd like to think it's worth more than that. I know people who grew up fans of other teams, Skins, Packers, etc. who became Baltimore Ravens fans when they came to town. For me, I just couldn't do that, because for me fandom is taken to another level. The emotional attachment to your "original" team just couldn't be cut off like that. Honestly, I enjoy watching the Ravens win, except for when they play the Redskins. I respect that organization because they do a lot of things right, but they could never be to me what the Redskins are.

There were tons of Bull fans during their run with Jordan, Pippen and company. I can recall being at the Sheraton lounge here in my area during the "infamous" Jordan-having-the-flu (yeah, right) game versus Utah in the '97 Finals. There were tons of Bull "fans" going crazy when Chicago made their run to comeback and win the game. It was despicable! Bandwagon fans galore.

You hit the nail on the head. I think there are more casual fans out there, and they latch on to a "winner" to have something to talk about. I also know this dude who use to be Cowboys fan, but I believe he's now changed his allegiance since he moved to Maryland about 2 1/2 years ago. I've heard him talk about the Ravens (as, if he's a fan) and even wearing a Ray Rice jersey. LOL

Bandwagon fans.... 'Ya gotta love 'em! LOL Yeah, right.

Being a true fan is like being married. You can't leave a team that you've loved unless something traumatic happens (they move away). You can never love any other team.

My only way out is to become a more general observer of the league and/or college football. I can't just pick another team to be a fan of. I couldn't muster the interest or passion in them if I wanted to.

Mine is actually a bit weird - I've never been to USA and growing up in the UK, and having a Dad who is heavily into "soccer" meant that I never really knew anything about NFL until about 7 or 8 years ago when I started watching Superbowls. I liked it and as I came to understand the rules, I began to watch more and more from the playoffs and then into the regular season over a period of a few years. I will happily admit, there are still some calls I don't understand but if you consider that I've taught myself everything I know about American Football, in a society where it receives no media attention at all, I don't think I've done too bad...

Supporting the Redskins is not steeped in family tradition like I guess it is for some of you (my family team is a "soccer" one - Norwich City - now back in the Premier League!!), but it was simply a case of I was watching so much NFL I just had to pick a team. I considered the Packers as they play in Yellow and Green like Norwich do, but decided on the Redskins for no real reason really. That was just my decision and I've stuck to it ever since (about 5 years now). I support the Skins and that is a lifelong commitment, no going back now, and if my (future) kids like NFL then they will be Skins fans too and they certainly won't have a choice in it, just like there is no other option aside from Norwich.

A side note, I know we suck right now, but miracles do happen in sport. Norwich were relegated to the third tier of English football in May 2009. Their lowest ebb for 50 years, and made worse on the opening day of the season, losing to local rivals Colchester 7-1 at home. All from a team who 4 years previously had been in the Premier League. We changed our manager (Dont think the Skins should, I think Shanny is doing a decent job of rebuilding a talentless roster so far) and went on to win the league, and then in our first year returning to the second tier (the championship) we managed to finish 2nd - achieving 2 promotions in 2 seasons and now we are sitting 9th in the Premier League, playing good football,we're one of about 5 football/soccer clubs in England who are actually turning a profit at the moment, debts have been reduced and we are looking to expand our stadium. Things have been tough at Fedex Field for a long time, but consider two points. 1) Things can get better very quickly in sport, it's finding a coach capable of finding the pieces that fit that is the important bit, and I believe we have that in Shanny and 2) If you guys who can remember the glory years of the Skins, Theismann etc, spare a thought for those of us who have only ever known misery as Skins fans (and especially for me as I nearly chose Green Bay!)

I was passed down the love for the skins from my Mom, one of my first xmas memories getting a skins helmet, and living in NoVA for 17 years of my life. There's really no reason to ever change, all teams will go through their tough spots, the owners and management and coaches and players change. When the stars align like they did for Gibbs 1.0 man it makes it that much more special. Half the league at least is in our same boat, no reason to chase the winning flavor man, that's just shallow.

What else am I gona' do on Sundays? Hell, what am I gona' do without this very place I'm typing this on?

There's no rhyme nor reason to it. No logic. It's doubtless totally asinine to those in the 'real World.' But it is what it is, who we are, and who we'll ALWAYS be. If you find yourself asking why?, you were never really a true fan to begin with IMHO.

REDSKIN FROM CRADLE TO GRAVE! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Hail.

I'm a Redskins fan because I choose to be. I live in MD now, but grew up watching the over the hill gang and George Allen. I remember really great players, like Larry Brown and John Riggins and Charley Taylor, Kilmer, the Hogs, Manley and Monk, Ken Houston, the Smurfs. But most of all I remember Joe Gibbs and Darrell Green. The were Redskins that stood for community and integrity.

I can't watch entire skins games anymore, can't allow it to ruin my week or day, but I still root for them, probably always will. Once upon a time they were fighters, blue collar workers that became some of the best ever. And they did it with dignity and grit, determination and honor. If you've ever felt that way about anything you'll understand why I still root for them. I think London Fletcher is that kind of player. I hope he get to experience a winning team here.

You live in an area, you root for the team from that area, is that called being a "Homer" if so, so be it. I root for the Caps, The Nats, the Wizards, and what's the name of our soccer team? yeah, them also.

I don't get all these folks that live here all their lives yet are Dallas fans? Couldn't point to Dallas on a map yet they root for them? I don't get it. My wife is a Dallas fan, born and raised in Dallas she was, she has a right I guess, all the others that don't have a connection to Dallas or to Texas, nothing but bandwagon fans I say.

The Skins are my home team thus I am a Skins fan, have been since I started caring about football back in 1964 or so.

I'm a third generation Redskins fan and a Washington native. It's in the blood. :)

This.

My family has been Skins fans since the 50's, when the Skins were really irrelevant. I was born into it. Being a Redskins fan is a lifestyle, not a hobby. It's easy (for bandwagoners) to follow the teams that win a lot. Steelers, Patriots...even the Cowboys (although, being a Cowboys fan in the DMV is more about aggrivating the Redskins fans than anything else). Most Cowboys fans I know are also Red Wings & Yankees fans...what a shock. Follwing the easiest teams to root for in every league. :rolleyes:

Me, personally...? I'm a Washington native, spent 34 years of my 37 there. I am an all Washington teams fan. Redskins, Caps, Nats...don't really care about basketball, but if the Bullets (Wizards) get into the playoffs, I'm rooting them on.

It's all I know.

My first season as a Redskins fan was 2006 when we went 5-11. Why would a 4-9 record question my love for this team?

My reason for following the Redskins wasn't the "winning tradition" of the Gibbs I era, it was something else. Either way, i'm hooked and a 4-9 record (or an 0-13 for that matter) isn't going to stop me rooting for this team.

:logo:

I was baptised in burgundy corduroys with a Redskins patch on the back pocket. Always been a fan, no matter how much crap I have to take from Falcons fans here in ATL. My family were all Skins fans, even though my mom has gotten rather upset in recent years and said she might switch loyalties to the Ravens...(boo, and I'll believe it when I see it)...still sends me Skins stuff for Christmas cuz she knows that's the ONE THING I'll always love to receive. I have 2 Skins hats in the back window of my car, along with one that says "Dallas Sucks".

I get laughed at, but I will always HTTR.

i love football and like to watch as much as I can. There are always players i love to watch and even root for, and sometimes even teams...but I have only one true team and that is the Redskins. They are like my parents, they may not always be great, or at times even suck, but you cant change them out.

I've invested a lot into this team in my young life. I've endured criticism for YEARS now. The only thing I've ever known is failure for the Redskins. And when we finally make a turn around, and win that 4th Lombardi, I'll turn all that criticism and hate back tenfold in elation and it will be the GREATEST ****ING DAY OF MY LIFE.

Archived