Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are you still a Redskins fan?

KCClybun

Everything is always awful.

In 2009, Yes, I could understand it. I was part of it...there seemed like there was literally no hope at all. The fans were all united in trying to force Snyder to change the way he did things, and for all intensive purposes it seems he has. He fired Wormtounge. He hired Allen, who hired Shanahan. Most of us knew things were going to take a while to get right. Everybody gets caught up in the moment, and anything can happen one year to the next, but the worst thing that could have happened to the fan base was the team's 3-1 start. Expectations couldn't help but rise up, and made the fall back down to reality that much tougher for the fans to bear. Now because the team had a losing season after a lockout shortened off-season, so many are ready to jump ship again.

They can't see the forest through the trees.

Edit: and the fall back down to reality was mainly due to lack of depth to overcome injuries. (Shortened off-season) I really believe this team could have won a few more games this year if the injury bug had not bitten the team so hard.

This year was one of the most painful in recent memory, to have us start 3-1 and then to watch them fall so flat was truly heartbreaking. I am at a point where I feel stupid organizing my sundays around a franchise that has been pimped and ruined by Daniel Snyder. That assclown ruined this team for me and the city even if we do win a super bowl I will be physically sick now seeing his little stubby devil hands touch the lombardi trophy after all he has done to whore the fanbase and undermine this team. I wont be picking another team cuz I dont think thats something that is possible for NFCe fans but I have already stopped myself from buying skins merchandise / going to games so who knows, maybe I am not so far away from waking up on sundays and ignoring the skins feed altogether.

I've been a Redskins fan since since I was five years old(George Allen era). Everyone in my family are Redskins fans. Since I was a very young kid and the glory years with Gibbs 1, I've really loved this team. However pitiful the Redskins get to be on the field, I can't allow myself to ever turn my back on them no matter how murky and dark things get. Sure, I get frustrated sometimes. I nearly cried two years ago(2009). 2009 was the most dismal season I had ever experienced as a Redskins fan. 1993 was a test to my loyalty, but the Redskins had just won 3 Super Bowls in 12 seasons during that era. But still, I persevered, and 2011 is much easier because I've been through something like this before.

Whether I'm watching the game at a random bar in Manhattan(I live in Harlem) or back home in old DC, I always lose my cool and yell at the television at Gibbs, Spurrier, Schottenheimer, or Shanahan, or whoever the coach may be that season. I love my team. I'll never be a fair weather fan. I'm a true fan. Just look at my username.

Its like your little brother....sure he's going to get under your skin from time to time....and you know he's screwing things up even if he himself doesn't always realize it. In the end you hope he learns from his mistakes and gets better. Cuz dammit, no matter what bone head things he may do, or how much he may piss you off at times, you still can't help but love the little ****.

The word "fan" is short for fanatic. The World English dictionary defines fanatic as:

fanatic (fəˈnætɪk)

— n

1. a person whose enthusiasm or zeal for something is extreme or beyond normal limits

2. informal a person devoted to a particular hobby or pastime; fan: a jazz fanatic

My love and devotion falls somewhere between the two definitions, but probably leans more toward the former. It is extreme and beyond normal limits and please don't ask me to explain it rationally. My Dad loves the Skins and I grew up loving them as well. I've admired other teams and players over the years, but I am a Skins fan and have that passion for no other team. As a kid, I cried when the Raiders beat us in Super Bowl XVIII. If we lost the Super Bowl next year, though I'm now an adult, the result might be the same. It is what it is.

Because you don´t choose who to fall in love with, you just do. It´s something magical.

I choose the team when I was like 3 years old...why? Don't know, because by that time me nor my parents or anybody even close to me knew who the Redskins where. The picture, the colours, the feeling...it just felt right and from there the 'love' went only up.

I am curious about the OP's connection with the Redskins when his father is a Cowboy fan. Is it to get back at his dad for something or what? Usually when your dad is a fan of a team the son usually is too. It is usually passed down because you want to be close to your dad in a father-son relationship. Throw the ball around, go fishing, or just do some manly things together. So what went wrong with the OP? So part of my answer is because I have stuck by them out of loyalty and they are my hometown team. The other reason that there has always been something that made you think they were improving but injuries and coaching changes every 2 to 3 years made progress difficult. If you really want to know what a direhard fan is then ask the old Buc, Patriot and San Diego Charger fans what it was like to sit and watch their team constantly stink up the joint and why did they stay a fan of the team? Ask the old Detriot Lions and the San Francisco fans the same question. It sometimes isn't all about winning but it is about the support you give to your hometown team. Sure it is easy to be a Cowboy or Steeler fan but the majority of their fans have never been to a home game let alone in the state. I bet you dimes on a dollar that the OP's dad wasn't born, raised or lived in the State of Texas. I worked with a guy that was from South Carolina that only rooted for the Cowboys because he hated that the only games that were televised in his area were Redskins games. When the Carolina Panthers formed he was still a Cowboy fan and a Panther fan because they were near him. So he would root for which ever one was doing better and meant from week to week. He never had been to a Cowboy game, been to the stadium or even been to Texas but he was a Cowboy fan.

No disrespect to the OP, but I find these questions - which appear on EVERY message board about any variety of subjects - tiring. Mainly because they aren't based on a good foundation of logic.

I'm a fan of certain bands, and invariably people complain about them not being as good as they "used to be," which always engenders the response: "Then why are you still a fan?" Or maybe it's a television show that someone once loved but is now no longer happy with its direction and complains about it, to which they're met with: "Well, just stop watching."

It SEEMS like a logical response, but in many cases, it isn't.

Loving an NFL team - especially for many, many years - makes the question "Why are you still a fan if all you do is complain?" even more illogical. It's because, for many of us, and for reasons that are difficult to explain, our NFL team of choice becomes a part of our DNA. Loving them, rooting for them, becomes inescapable, because, in some bizarre way, they become a part of who we are.

I always liken it to a relationship you might have with a family member. If you know someone who has a sibling that they think has been headed down the wrong path for years and consistently complains about that sibling's choices in life, do you say to them, "Well, why don't you just disown them?" Not usually. Only in the most absolutely extreme cases would someone suggest that, and even then, it may not be possible to do.

Yeah, it sounds ridiculous, but that's sort of the same type of bond many have to their favorite NFL team. Or at least it's made of the same basic materials, whatever those materials might be.

So, with that in mind, the question, "Why do you still put yourself through this after 20 years?" becomes irrelevant. Personally, I wish it would be banned from use. It simply has no meaning.

Back to the OP, you say you're 24 and have only been a fan since 2005? Well, sorry, but you're simply not in a position to even possibly understand the frustration of people who've been with the team for much, much longer than that and who HAVE in fact suffered through these last 20 years of crap.

Don't misunderstand - I'm all for a logical approach to this latest "rebuild," and I don't think fans "deserve" anything other than the powers that be putting the best product possible on the field and the best people in place to manage it. And yeah, despite what I've said above, there's certainly a fine line between complaining and pointlessly whining.

I became a fan when I was 7. Probably because I was incredibly interested in native American culture (ironic, huh, considering all the issues around the team's name). I fell in love with the uniforms, fell in love with the blue-collar character of the team (this was in the late 70s), and, for whatever reason, it just wrapped itself around my DNA. That will simply never change.

I do have a couple friends who have done a Judas on the team and turned their attentions to Raven-ville. "Always room on the bus," they say.

"Maybe," I respond. "But when the Redskins are good again, there won't be any room for you guys to get back on this one."

So, with that in mind, the question, "Why do you still put yourself through this after 20 years?" becomes irrelevant. Personally, I wish it would be banned from use. It simply has no meaning.

Well, if you can divorce a spouse after 20 years, despite all that you listed... why can't you "divorce" a team for the same?

"I still "care" about you...but I just can't live with you anymore. In fact, you make me sick!"

:ols:

Well, if you can divorce a spouse after 20 years, despite all that you listed... why can't you "divorce" a team for the same?

"I still "care" about you...but I just can't live with you anymore. In fact, you make me sick!"

:ols:

"Spouse" ain't family. At least not by blood. Pretty hard to divorce the latter, and for many, that's the kind of connection they have to the Skins, crazy as it may be.

Either that or the Brokeback Mountain "I wish I could quit you" connection.

Thats a very good question... I became a fan during the George Allen era and the "Over the Hill Gang" I remember watching SB VII with my grandad.. Fast forward to the Gibbs era and the great teams during the 80's cemented my love for the team.. The past 20 years have been tough, the way I look at it all the fans during the late 40's to mid 60's. How many losing years did we have then ?? Yet the people still came and supported the Redskins...

I guess its in my blood rooting for the skins........... win or lose each sunday I will be watching or listening..

Hail............

I remember the days when the Redskins meant everything to everybody.

On Mondays how the City would be "ALIVE" after a huge win.

When you lived in VA. for 37 years (from 1966 to 2003)

That's all there was "Redskins"

Every year the excitement gets does get less and less.

If I'm not rooting for the Redskins it's safe to say I don't watch football anymore (I figure 5 more years)

Besides,

You always have to root for the Home Team,I think it's a Law

Archived