Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Patriots: Official ES CB/S Discussion Thread

Jumbo

Sorry, guys, too much went south this week and didn't have time to get a crew together for these or develop solid OPs for these threads--so you're all on your own to get it rolling and keep it interesting. Talk football! Do it right! I have faith in youse! :D

No, hall was a HUGe idiot on that play, acted like a punk.

The hold was totally legit, he knew it, and still acted like a punk by throwing the flag.

I'd rather he give up a 20 yard pass then give it up like that.

I support DHall, but i can't keep doing it if he's going to behave like that.

It is just stupid.

~Bang

Overall Hall made a bad play, but did not have a bad game. The Pats wide recevers were not a factor.

Josh Wilson had a very good game, and the pick was an outstanding play.

Other notes.. on the play by Gronkowski in the first quarter when he dragged us up the sidelines... Reed Doughty made one of the most pathetic tackle attempts I have seen all year.

Other than that play, Gomes played a decent, disciplined game for his experience. Gronkowski was a monster, though so safeties and linebackers in pass coverage werre getting completely overmatched. I console myself by thinking Gronk has done that to everyone he's played, and he's just a beast.

~Bang

Was Hall a giant fool on the big penalty or are the refs ****ed on that one?

Are you talking about the play where Hall threw down Welker and then threw the flag?

I thought Hall took some plays off or just didnt show up. I hate to criticize players, but just my two cents.... He is suppose to be a veteran and he cant do stupid stuff like that, period.

Gomes wasn't bad all things considered.

You have to factor in that it IS Tom Brady, and Gronkowski is a freak of nature. He's a more athletic version of Antonio Gates. He's every bit as tall, and his ability get YAC is better. That run up the sidelines in the first quarter made us look stupid, but from the perspective of watching a TE, it was a great individual play by an excellent football player.

On the TD he caught over Gomes in the early part of the game,, Gomes had good sticky coverage,, just got outjumped by a guy who is 6'7".

I'll have a hard time holding that against Gomes.

Give Gronk his due, and Gomes had a day in th classroom getting some valuable lessons.

~Bang

Gomes wasn't bad all things considered.

You have to factor in that it IS Tom Brady, and Gronkowski is a freak of nature. He's a more athletic version of Antonio Gates. He's every bit as tall, and his ability get YAC is better. That run up the sidelines made us look stupid, but from the perspective of watching a TE, it was a great individual play by an excellent football player.

On the TD he caught over gomes in the early part of the game,, gomes had sticky coverage,, just got outjumped by a guy who is 6'7".

I'll have a hard time holding that against Gomes.

Give Gronk his due, and Gomes had a day in th classroom getting a lesson taught.

~Bang

One of the tweets from the guys covering the Skins said Gomes' only mistake on that TD pass was not being 6' 5" lol...

One of the tweets from the guys covering the Skins said Gomes' only mistake on that TD pass was not being 6' 5" lol...

That's about it.. he was so tight on Gronkowski that if they weren't playing football, that would have been an arrestable offense in public.

~Bang

On a healthy team, Doughty might play a small handful of snaps. With the brittle boys on this team, he's getting too much time out there. Gomes for everything that looked back today, was just physically outmatched out there covering a huge TE. Wilson was ok I suppose. DeAngelo Hall is regressing in front of our eyes. Now his attitude is matching his play and its unacceptable. He has taken Portis' place for jerk on the team.

Deangelo Hall has been a very CB the last 3 weeks, but a stupid player. Shut down whoever he was covering today. Whether it was Welker, Underwood,or Slater. Guy was shutdown.

Doughty is the definition of Average. He is an average tackler. Average Speed. Below average coverage skills for a SS (Although he's been fine the past couple weeks). Gomes is just too small to be a SS IMHO. And you may not agree, but if Landry plays in this game and the Dallas game, we probably win. Say what you want, but Landry tackles Gronk there. He may have been dragged a couple yards, but he brings him down. And vs Dallas, Witten doesn't outrun Landry for 60 yards like he did an injured Gomes.

Wilson was pretty good today with a CLUTCH int. He's played well to past couple of games. Other than double move vs NY.

Barnes isn't very good. And he showed it today.

On a healthy team, Doughty might play a small handful of snaps. With the brittle boys on this team, he's getting too much time out there. Gomes for everything that looked back today, was just physically outmatched out there covering a huge TE. Wilson was ok I suppose. DeAngelo Hall is regressing in front of our eyes. Now his attitude is matching his play and its unacceptable. He has taken Portis' place for jerk on the team.

You are right about Doughty. When everyone is healthy, he doesn't play much on defense. He's a great special team player, but his weaknesses are exposed the more he plays on defense.

As for Hall, after that play where he acted like an idiot, it seemed like a he took a few plays off. He just didn't look into the game right after that. I was expecting the coaches to take him out after that, like they did with Barnes last week. They left him in and he just didn't look interested for a while.

I thought Wilson played a solid game and has been consistent. I'd really like to see us get a another solid cover guy like him in the offseason. I really think Hall's best position would be in the slot. He's an improved tackler (i know he didn't go after Gronkowski today but his hitting is pretty solid) and his playmaking skills might be best served in the slot where he'll be in better position to make plays.

I think Hall is exposing himself for what he is, a number two or three corner, not a number one.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/redskins/2011/12/ten-observations-patriots-34-redskins-27/1995041

1. Not a good day for corner DeAngelo Hall and he knew it. Hall messed up on the 49-yard catch and run by Rob Gronkowski by almost coming to a stop as Reed Doughty and DeJon Gomes attempted to wrap him up near the sidelines. Hall later said, “I thought he stepped out [of bounds].” But it’s clear the play was ongoing and with a guy like that you keep trying to bring him down. If nothing else go for a strip. Instead, nothing. It won’t look good on film at all. Players can say that the new rules have taken away some of their edge and leads to plays like this. But this was not good. Hall did come up hard enough but he has to help finish the play. Just a bad mistake.

2. Later, Hall was flagged for defensive holding on an incomplete pass. OK, it happens. But he then picked up the flag and threw it drawing another 15 yards. You want to know why teams get to 4-9? There you go. Hall considers himself a defensive leader, but you can’t lose your cool like this. Not in any game, but certainly not against a team that scores like New England. His tantrum turned it into a 20-yard gain on what turned out to be a touchdown drive. There’s a difference between playing with passion and emotion and losing your cool. Two weeks ago in Seattle the Redskins wanted to show the Seahawks they weren’t going to back down. In my mind they were becoming too mouthy and worrying about extra-curricular things that didn’t matter. And guess what? It cost them 15 yards in this game and has cost them in others. Behave that way long enough and it ALWAYS bites you in the end. Period. Scouts and analysts that I talk to consider Hall an undisciplined player. It leads to plays like this. Coaches like to talk about “winning plays”. This is an example of the opposite.

Archived