Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Lombardi thinks we will acquire Peyton Manning

Tarantula

On point one the plan would be for the rookie QB to be sitting and learning. Believe me, i want to draft Franchise QB. Only way i would really want Manning would be to coach up the rookie while we are competing for two years. Point 2, i could be wrong but arent we way under the cap? I'm sure the front office could come up with a contract that doesn't blow out our cap. Either way doubt he comes to Washington, just something fun to discuss since our season is over.

Manning is obviously NOT in the mentoring business. Or have you not noticed the AWESOME performance of Curtis Painter this season? Not to mention, we aren't drafting a QB to sit on the bench behind an aging Manning for his entire first contract. Not to mention we can't afford a top 10 draft QB AND Manning and hope to field an actual football team.

You can't have both. It would be Manning and some 5th round pick/Grossman, or it would be a top QB pick who we are hoping will be the future.

After the McNabb trade i dont think Mike or Allen will give even the same for a declining QB. Who cant prove he'll ever be able to play again.

They wouldn't trade for him. They would sign him as a FA after the Colts cut him instead of paying the 28 mil roster bonus.

I could definitely see the Colts cutting Manning. I'm not sure if I can see Manning signing with Washington over some other teams though.

They wouldn't trade for him. They would sign him as a FA after the Colts cut him instead of paying the 28 mil roster bonus.

I could definitely see the Colts cutting Manning. I'm not sure if I can see Manning signing with Washington over some other teams though.

I think Manning is much more likely to go to the Jets or Kansas City, places where he has a chance to win.

Either way...the question still stands as to why he would want to play here.

Where else would be better?

We're easily the most appealing QB needy team out there. We don't have a young QB in development either to steal his job away.

---------- Post added December-8th-2011 at 04:58 PM ----------

I think Manning is much more likely to go to the Jets or Kansas City, places where he has a chance to win.

The Jets are pretty happy with Mark Sanchez. They won't pursue Manning.

Yea, but if i were him i would say no way to the restructuring and tell them to release me. No one will claim him on waivers and he will end up getting paid by the Colts and whatever other team decides to pick him up. The colts will be forced to do, unless they wanna have the highest paid backup QB ever. :ols:

And i agree he would never want to come here. And i for one dont want him. Im happy with a 1st round pick QB.

And on a side not i like your other sig better!! :P

Haha, yeah man...I miss the old sig, but Katie Perry's not bad either.

But we're in agreement again. I just feel like this whole nonsense with Peyton is pointless. He would never willingly sign with us.

---------- Post added December-8th-2011 at 05:17 PM ----------

We're easily the most appealing QB needy team out there. We don't have a young QB in development either to steal his job away.

Are we? You're telling me there aren't teams willing to upgrade? He would get murdered behind our line.

Look, he's one of the greatest and if he came here as a stop-gap, I'd be alright with it, but I feel like he would want to go somewhere closer to winning it all. Plus, how close is our O to what he has run his whole career?

Basically, I'm in the camp that doesn't think he's going anywhere.

The Jets are pretty happy with Mark Sanchez. They won't pursue Manning.

There is no reason to act so sure of that. Just because they say good things about their own QB doesn't mean they wouldn't consider someone else. That franchise is all about winning and winning NOW. Manning is absolutely perfect for them. Might depend on how this season ends, and it's a bit of a wildcard, but I wouldn't bet against them.

Don't see that at all. The three obvious ones- Miami, Cleveland and Seattle- all have Ds that are giving up fewer points than us and they all have more pieces in place towards a great OLine. Miami and Seattle have #1 Wr types, and Cleveland has extra picks to build with.

Maybe you could make a case that we are a better situation (I wouldn't agree) but to claim that we are "easily" the best seems beyond silly.

If you bring in Peyton, what do you do with your offensive staff? Send them on vacation? Seriously, no matter what team Peyton goes to, I can't imagine him saying "yeah, I'll just run your crappy offense" instead of the one he's been running/calling/perfecting for over a decade in Indy. The guy is a OC/OB.

There is no reason to act so sure of that. Just because they say good things about their own QB doesn't mean they wouldn't consider someone else. That franchise is all about winning and winning NOW. Manning is absolutely perfect for them. Might depend on how this season ends, and it's a bit of a wildcard, but I wouldn't bet against them.
The Jets are winning now with Sanchez and he's only going to get better the longer they stick with him. Why would they want to compromise their short term and long term stability that they're enjoying now for any reason? They're a Superbowl contender today. The reason they don't look as good as they did last year isn't Sanchez either. It was losing guys like Shaun Ellis and failing to replace him. If they're fishing for upgrades, I don't think it'll be at QB, I think it'll be at DL.
Don't see that at all. The three obvious ones- Miami, Cleveland and Seattle- all have Ds that are giving up fewer points than us and they all have more pieces in place towards a great OLine. Miami and Seattle have #1 Wr types, and Cleveland has extra picks to build with.

Maybe you could make a case that we are a better situation (I wouldn't agree) but to claim that we are "easily" the best seems beyond silly.

Peyton will not go to Miami where J Lo and Gloria Estefan are part owners and the HC and GM are lame ducks and part of a dysfunctional organizational culture. Peyton looks for organizational stability and Miami offers very little.

We've got a better foundation than Seattle and have far better coaches. I don't think they can beat us if we want Manning. I also don't think Sidney Rice is a better receiver than Santana Moss nor do I think he'd be a big factor in Manning's decision.

I could see Cleveland because Mike Holmgren is terrific and the offensive line has excellent potential. But Pat Shurmur isn't as stellar as Shanahan and the path to the playoffs in Cleveland is far more difficult than it would be here. We've got a great organization that's willing to spend to win and and a roster with terrific foundational pieces. We're a warm weather team where he could probably put up reasonably close to his numbers in Indy whereas Cleveland and Seattle are not good climates for passing offenses for much of the year. And Snyder is extremely loyal to his players, he's the kind of owner that Manning would probably like. And we've got a wide open division at this point where Peyton would get to kick his little brother's butt twice a season. And if Peyton ever had an interest in politics down the line...

But the main draw has to be Mike Shanahan. What QB wouldn't want to come play for him? He's one of the greatest, if not the greatest offensive mind in the league. Who besides Holmgren, McCarthy, Reid, or Payton can boast the kind of prestige Shanahan does?

I cannot believe the S*** im reading on this board. People here would actually welcome Manning? REALLY!?!?!

This would go against everything we've been trying to do for the past 2 years. DEVELOP OUR OWN STARS, YOUTH MOVEMENT. BUILD FOR THE FUTURE. And some people wanna throw it all away for a QB, who quite frankly, does not fit our system, is going to be 36 years old coming off major neck surgery, has been running his own offense for 10+ years.... will retire in about 2.

What good would possibly come out of this?

If you bring in Peyton, what do you do with your offensive staff? Send them on vacation? Seriously, no matter what team Peyton goes to, I can't imagine him saying "yeah, I'll just run your crappy offense" instead of the one he's been running/calling/perfecting for over a decade in Indy. The guy is a OC/OB.

I think that'd be a tremendous boon for an OC, not a detriment. Having wide lattitude in the expanse of your gameplan would give you tons of flexibility and freedom. You could build in parts that you know you normally couldn't because #18 is versatile enough to handle it.

You could change your gameplan and scheme at the half if you had to and be confident Manning could digest his changing role and focus and know what you're trying to accomplish. I should think that'd be any OC's dream.

---------- Post added December-8th-2011 at 06:26 PM ----------

I cannot believe the S*** im reading on this board. People here would actually welcome Manning? REALLY!?!?!

This would go against everything we've been trying to do for the past 2 years. DEVELOP OUR OWN STARS' date=' YOUTH MOVEMENT. BUILD FOR THE FUTURE. And some people wanna throw it all away for a QB, who quite frankly, does not fit our system, is going to be 36 years old coming off major neck surgery, has been running his own offense for 10+ years.... will retire in about 2.

What good would possibly come out of this?[/quote']

1.) You don't know when Manning will retire, don't pretend like you do.

2.) Obviously, acquiring Manning would be contingent on him being healthy

3.) Pretty sure Manning could run any NFL offense one could scheme up

4.) What could come of it? How about Superbowl contention. That's a bad thing?

5.) Drafting and developing your own players is great but not the exclusive way to acquire talent. London Fletcher.

The underlined is the way I see it as well.

$28 million due March 2nd, two weeks before he can be traded. He's already been paid 15 million for this contract, 3 mil counting against the cap this year. That leaves a total of forty million dollars that would immediately accelerate against the salary cap in 2012 if they paid and then decided to trade him. It just doesn't make any sense to trade him. I guess they could rework his contract.

No thanks..

---------- Post added December-9th-2011 at 12:02 AM ----------

I think that'd be a tremendous boon for an OC, not a detriment. Having wide lattitude in the expanse of your gameplan would give you tons of flexibility and freedom. You could build in parts that you know you normally couldn't because #18 is versatile enough to handle it.

You could change your gameplan and scheme at the half if you had to and be confident Manning could digest his changing role and focus and know what you're trying to accomplish. I should think that'd be any OC's dream.

---------- Post added December-8th-2011 at 06:26 PM ----------

1.) You don't know when Manning will retire, don't pretend like you do.

2.) Obviously, acquiring Manning would be contingent on him being healthy

3.) Pretty sure Manning could run any NFL offense one could scheme up

4.) What could come of it? How about Superbowl contention. That's a bad thing?

5.) Drafting and developing your own players is great but not the exclusive way to acquire talent. London Fletcher.

Sure, you could point to London Fletcher as a success. You can also note the many losing years we had with Fletch as well as the numerous numerous big name FA busts we have signed over the years. yes Fletch has done his job and we still lose.. do you even know why?

It's because we keep making bone-head moves like signing Manning would be, that would handicap our ability to build the rest of the team.

This board has such short-term memory. The general attitude here is "Oh look, a shiny" "GRAB IT'.

No thanks, No

Sure, you could point to London Fletcher as a success. You can also note the many losing years we had with Fletch as well as the numerous numerous big name FA busts we have signed over the years. yes Fletch has done his job and we still lose.. do you even know why?

It's because we keep making bone-head moves like signing Manning would be, that would handicap our ability to build the rest of the team.

This board has such short-term memory. The general attitude here is "Oh look, a shiny" "GRAB IT'.

No thanks, No

So signing Fletcher was a bad or, at best, pointless move? What?

The reason we haven't been winning since Fletcher was acquired is almost entirely because we've had crappy OLs, crappy QBs, and revolving door of coaches and front offices.

You don't think Manning would significantly change one of those three factors?

Do you think Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan bring the stabiltiy to our FO and coaching staff that we lacked before they were hired?

Do you think our OL is improving and is only a few player acquisitions away from being stable, and eventually, good?

Basically whether you think signing Manning if he were available would be a good move or a bad move comes down to whether you think he'd be a good QB for us or a bad QB. If healthy, I think he could be a fantastic QB for us. If you don't think we could contend for a Superbowl with Manning as our QB, then just say that.

If you think RGIII or Barkley or someone else gives us a better chance to win a Superbowl than Peyton Manning does, you think we'll be able to draft said QB, and that's why you don't want us to sign Manning if he were available, then just say that.

None of these vague "we've got to build the right way, we've had FA busts in the past" irrelevancies are necessarry.

I don't think the Shanny's and Manning can coexist. You brought McNabb here and basically told him to forget how he played in Philly cause this is how are offense is doing things down here. Read on here a few times how father/son were angry when McNabb called an audible that was different than the 2 plays he was given. Obviously McNabb is not Manning but I cringe at the thought of trying to "Change Mannings mechanics", or not even tweaking the system to his strengths. Manning is going to go somewhere where he won't be a puppet and Mike is to smart to bring him here to clash egos. This would be McNabb 2.0 waiting to happen. Stay away.

I don't think they told McNabb to change because that's how we do things here. I think we told him, hey you're getting older and slower, its time to refine the way you play to extend your success. McNabb was like "Nah, I'm good. Don't worry about it, I've been doing this for a long time, I got this." The Shanny's were right about it, too. Look where he's at now.

That said I'm torn right now on whether we should get Peyton. My instincts say no. We are supposed to go younger at QB so we can be set for the next 10-15 years. Peyton makes us an instant contender, though. I mean, right? I dunno. I'd honestly pass on him and just move forward with the draft. Take our lumps and then be set up for the long haul.

By saying it would be McNabb 2.0, you're saying Manning is like McNabb. I don't think that's true at all. Simply put, Manning is a far better than QB and football player than McNabb, and further, Manning has a reputation of being incredibly coachable. McNabb was not really coachable, had a bit of a diva attitude, was lazy, out of shape, and a indifferent/slow learner. That's what the Shanahans were frustrated with, and Manning is certainly none of those things.

Shanahan has worked with three of the greatest QBs to ever play the game. Why do you think he'd struggle to work with another one who was in their league? I think any coach in the league would find Manning an absolute joy to work with.

I can't believe people are actually trying to justify that this could be a great move for us.

It's official. All the talk about not wanting to win now and not wanting to spend draft picks on aging veterans is complete bull****.

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it. (And then ***** about how Snyder is ruining the franchise and Mike needs to get fired because he picked the wrong quarterback again, etc., etc.,.)

I can't see Manning rolling out on a boot.

I mean, its not as large a part of the Colt's offense as it is ours, but he runs the bootleg plenty. He's not a threat to run off the bootleg in most circumstances, but he can run it to perfection.

I mean, its not as large a part of the Colt's offense as it is ours, but he runs the bootleg plenty. He's not a threat to run off the bootleg in most circumstances, but he can run it to perfection.

Absolutely. Manning's play fakes are tremendous. He's really the model that you could teach the fine details of the position off of. Have you watched the QB school segments Jon Gruden does on ESPN before the draft? Peyton is the QB he uses when he breaks down film of the correct way to do all the mechanical things including running sprint outs and boot legs.

Manning's mechanics are really about as good as it gets.

Archived