Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Lombardi thinks we will acquire Peyton Manning

Tarantula

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi believes the Colts can indeed trade Peyton Manning if they get Manning to rework his $28 million option bonus.

"There are a lot of ways to get around this, but clearly re-doing the contract is the first step," said Lombardi, a former NFL GM. Manning's $28 million option is due right around the start of the new league year, so the Colts will need quick cooperation from both Peyton and another team in order to pull this off, particularly if Manning won't delay the payment. Lombardi suspects the Colts will try to trade him out of the conference to an NFC team, suggesting the Redskins. "Lot of money, lot of availability," said Lombardi. "And oh, by the way, they really need a quarterback badly. They need a signature face on their franchise."

Source: NFL.com

I know we as Skins' fans don't want this, but judging by our past and our present QB situation, I can honestly see Snyder doing this. And let's be honest, is a healthy 3-4 years of Peyton Manning a bad thing??? I hope we draft RG III or Barkley and groom our own HOF QB, but this is the Redskins we're talking about here, and Snyder doesn't believe in waiting.

Polian/Irsay: "Hey Peyton, will you re-do your contract so we stop you from choosing where you go, and decide it ourselves? Oh, and by the way, this will help us take resources from your new team."

Manning: "Sure thing! Where the heck do I sign?"

And Lombardi used to run a Front Office. Sheesh.

Of course, 3 weeks ago he said the Colts would keep Manning and trade the pick.

I've been completely against trading for Manning because it's what has failed us in the past. However, I agree that 3-4 yrs of Manning isn't a bad thing. But only if we can get him without trading them our first round pick. We desperately need another full draft in order to fill some of the holes and add depth. I don't know of a scenario where we can land Manning without giving up early round picks. I'm not completely against the idea though because I could see him being a great mentor to whomever we draft.....assuming we can land Manning, AND draft our future QB.

How about we draft a QB in the first and trade two 2nds for Manning. Not a fan of giving a 1st for Manning.

I wouldn't be upset if we got Manning ONLY if we draft a QB in the 2nd to groom. Tannehill or someone like that.

---------- Post added December-7th-2011 at 10:04 PM ----------

But what would his price be? How many picks would it cost?

The only way I could even stomach a Snyder move like this, is if, we can maintain our first round draft status, and be able to draft a potential franchise qb in the first round (Barkely, RGIII, Jones, etc...).

Do you fans realize that no matter how ESPN spins this, that Manning is one good hit away from not being able to play with his kids--nonethless playing in the NFL into his late 30's. What happens when Kyle Shanahan is not happy with Peyton not picking up "his" offense?

We need to stick to drafting our QB in the first round and running with it....

The only way I would be down with signing Peyton is if 1) he is released and we don't have to trade picks and 2) Luck, RG3, and Barkley aren't available for us draft, so we take a QB like Tannehill or Kirk Cousins and sit them on the bench for a bit to learn behind Manning.

How about these people have no clue what's going on. They are dumb if they think Luck is going to want to go to Indy like that. If Manning is Retired ok...but if Manning is healthy and they is trying to cut him loose? And why the heck would we trade for him is they will cut him? They are in a tight spot if Manning is healthy, Luck will force his way out of that situation. Already been said by the ones in charge Archie and Oliver.

Polian/Irsay: "Hey Peyton, will you re-do your contract so we stop you from choosing where you go, and decide it ourselves? Oh, and by the way, this will help us take resources from your new team."

Manning: "Sure thing! Where the heck do I sign?"

And Lombardi used to run a Front Office. Sheesh.

Of course, 3 weeks ago he said the Colts would keep Manning and trade the pick.

:ols:

Ding!

What's wrong with picking up Manning and still drafting a QB? Let our new QB sit for a year or two, and have Manning ball a little bit, my only concern is Manning wouldn't have a Reggie or Marvin type wideout to throw too. I've always felt the best way to develop a QB is let him sit a bit, i.e. Carson, Rodgers etc. but of course it doesn't always work.

EDIT: let me clarify I don't think it will happen, but I don't see a problem with it.

I wouldnt give up more than a 2nd (if they would even want him) for him considering he could go down for good at any moment but I seriously doubt the Colts would trade him for anything less than a 1st and a 2nd considering what Palmer was just traded for and he's injury prone, much more so than Manning.

Follow me here people.:)

Lombardi used to be a GM for the Raiders.

The same Raiders that played against Shanny's Broncos.

No love lost between the two Mikes. Especially Lombardi.

Shanny will not take a chance on another aging QB that he personally doesn't know.

Peyton is a statue in the pocket.

Peyton is the further thing away from fitting our scheme.

Shanny will not alter his scheme to fit Manning, who have to come in & be the OC as well as the QB to even think about being successful.

Make this trade, draft Blackmon from OSU in the first round to give Manning a true #1 reciever to go along with Moss and Hankerson. Helu goin into is second year and Hightower comin back. Resign Fred and add a OL or 2 and we instanly have a top 10 offense. R defense with Jenkins comin back will easily be a top 10 unit, they would be a top 10 defense this year if r offense wasnt so bad and didnt turn the ball over as much and have as many 3 an outs.. We get manning and draft blackmon we instanly become a series contender. If you could some how land Dwayne Bowe in free angency that would be icing on the cake and we could have the best group of recievers in the league to go with a very good ground game..

Why is Snyder being mentioned in the discussion of football related decisions?

I think Lombardi still believes that Snyder had something to do with the McNabb trade of which I am a big believer of. IMO, Lombardi is just stirring the pot and the Manning drama will continue to play itself out until Manning is either traded or released.

This would be a step back for our team. Its def an upgrade at the QB situation... maybe, but we would end up over paying and depriving the team of future home grown talent in the form of young draft picks. Im not even really comfortabe giving away two seconds or a future pick for Manning either. How invasive was the sugery he had? If we traded for Manning it would be like buying a ragged out mid/late 90's Corvette ZR1 on a used car lot for the price of a 2012.

It cant end well for him here. Our O-line is weak. Its always weak. From Ramsey to Campbell, McNibble to the Rex Cannon and everything in between, we have always neglected O-linemen in the high rounds of the draft. Even when we trade, we trade second rounders for O-linemen who are hurt, trying to cobble together something. (Who did the Saints draft with that pick anyways? ) I doubt Manning would want to come for the sheer fact that we need to upgrade our O-line and trading for him would impair that process.

I think Lombardi still believes that Snyder had something to do with the McNabb trade of which I am a big believer of. IMO, Lombardi is just stirring the pot and the Manning drama will continue to play itself out until Manning is either traded or released.

McNabb was clearly Shannahan's call. He fit the bill with his mobility and deep ball. He just couldn't be consistent underneath.

Archived