Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Lombardi thinks we will acquire Peyton Manning

Tarantula

Polian/Irsay: "Hey Peyton, will you re-do your contract so we stop you from choosing where you go, and decide it ourselves? Oh, and by the way, this will help us take resources from your new team."

Manning: "Sure thing! Where the heck do I sign?"

And Lombardi used to run a Front Office. Sheesh.

Of course, 3 weeks ago he said the Colts would keep Manning and trade the pick.

exactly..

The Colts cannot trade Manning. Depsite all the scenarios every talk radio and TV show comes up with.. they can't trade him.

They won't even really know what kind of playing condition Manning is in yet when they have to pony up the 28 million. It's before the draft and before the league year even begins.

They will be forced to make a blind decision.. pay the man and hope he can play... or the unfathomable to everyone... cut him.

exactly..

The Colts cannot trade Manning. Depsite all the scenarios every talk radio and TV show comes up with.. they can't trade him.

They won't even really know what kind of playing condition Manning is in yet when they have to pony up the 28 million. It's before the draft and before the league year even begins.

They will be forced to make a blind decision.. pay the man and hope he can play... or the unfathomable to everyone... cut him.

Or go against what Archie Manning wants and just have both of them on their roster. It's an option, still.

If Manning gets fed up enough sitting on the bench, or having to compete, or whatever (if he's not the same Manning he was prior to neck surgery), he'll surely agree to restructure his contract for the chance to be traded.

Or go against what Archie Manning wants and just have both of them on their roster. It's an option, still.

If Manning gets fed up enough sitting on the bench, or having to compete, or whatever (if he's not the same Manning he was prior to neck surgery), he'll surely agree to restructure his contract for the chance to be traded.

yeah.. but you got to pay him.. that 28 mil is against the cap I'm pretty sure... so if you draft a QB with the #1.. he'll be due probably 5-6 million.. so you'll have something like almost 40 million in cap in 2 QB's.

paying Manning 28 million only to see him traded during the season would be worse than what we paid Albert.

Manning very well might prefer to give up the 28 million to be able to sign at his club of chosing as a FA.

Mortensen said essentially the samething this morning on Mike&Mike. He doesn't think Manning will be a Colt and a reasonable destination is the Redskins. He said it was just speculation at this time, but it was a reasonable fit.

I don't listen to sports radio a whole lot... So help me out here...

What did he say makes it a "reasonable" fit?

---------- Post added December-8th-2011 at 09:54 AM ----------

yeah.. but you got to pay him.. that 28 mil is against the cap I'm pretty sure... so if you draft a QB with the #1.. he'll be due probably 5-6 million.. so you'll have something like almost 40 million in cap in 2 QB's.

paying Manning 28 million only to see him traded during the season would be worse than what we paid Albert.

If he restructures, his hit is a one time thing. And if he's not starting at any point and finds himself behind Luck, I doubt he'd be opposed to restructuring and being traded after not too long. Someone with better cap knowledge than me can answer that part better than I can, but, having that much tied up for a year or two isn't a horrendous thing. Trade Manning and acquire something in return and having Manning there for Luck to watch for a year or two...which will help Luck when he's the full fledged, unquestioned starter is a smart strategy for Indy. But it hinges on Manning's health.

I don't listen to sports radio a whole lot... So help me out here...

What did he say makes it a "reasonable" fit?

---------- Post added December-8th-2011 at 09:54 AM ----------

If he restructures, his hit is a one time thing. And if he's not starting at any point and finds himself behind Luck, I doubt he'd be opposed to restructuring and being traded after not too long. Someone with better cap knowledge than me can answer that part better than I can, but, having that much tied up for a year or two isn't a horrendous thing. Trade Manning and acquire something in return and having Manning there for Luck to watch for a year or two...which will help Luck when he's the full fledged, unquestioned starter is a smart strategy for Indy. But it hinges on Manning's health.

So essentially you are telling Peyton "we are going to trot you out there behind an 0-16 team, tie up 35 percent of our cap to the QB position so that we are limited in how we improve the team, and not use our biggest asset to improve this team that you go out to play with"

The econmoic realities prevent Manning and Luck from occuring. It is the least likely of scenarios

So essentially you are telling Peyton "we are going to trot you out there behind an 0-16 team, tie up 35 percent of our cap to the QB position so that we are limited in how we improve the team, and not use our biggest asset to improve this team that you go out to play with"

The econmoic realities prevent Manning and Luck from occuring. It is the least likely of scenarios

Agree to disagree. We shall see :)

That's the fun part about the forum... Differing opinions makes things a heck of a lot more interesting.

Follow me here people.:)

Lombardi used to be a GM for the Raiders.

The same Raiders that played against Shanny's Broncos.

No love lost between the two Mikes. Especially Lombardi.

Shanny will not take a chance on another aging QB that he personally doesn't know.

Peyton is a statue in the pocket.

Peyton is the further thing away from fitting our scheme.

Shanny will not alter his scheme to fit Manning, who have to come in & be the OC as well as the QB to even think about being successful.

BINGO!!

End of thread!

There is nothing positive to gain by bringing in Manning at this point in his career, it would be a dumb move

If he restructures, he essentially hands his future to the Colts.

Right now, Manning has the leverage over the Colts I think.

If he restructures, he essentially hands his future to the Colts.

Right now, Manning has the leverage over the Colts I think.

Like I said, he wouldn't restructure ahead of time. It would be after the Colts had already made the move to the future and started playing Luck. I highly doubt Manning would be okay sitting behind him.

I'm not sure how the whole thing is going to play out, trust me. It's just there are more options other than what's being repeatedly said.

Furthermore, I do know that I don't believe he's a fit in DC. Even if I do think he's the GOAT.

The reason this franchise is in the shape it's currently in is because of Snyder doing this exact same thing from the moment he bought the team, trading away the future for a couple of years of a players fading career. Manning still has a couple of good years left. But during the next 4 years his body will betray him and whatever team he's on. Whether it's a cheap shot coming from the blind side or a missed blitz up the middle, someone is going to get to him and Manning is going to be out for the rest of that season. The 20+ million will be gone and we'll be back with Rex, no QB of the future and our hopes on the sidelines on crutches.

For the first time since Dan Snyder bought the team, can we show a little patience, take the QB of the future and then surround THAT young player with the weapons (OL, OL, OL, OL, OL and a couple of very good WR) and bring home the Super Bowl with intelligence and no fantasy league type move?

Archie Manning changed course Wednesday, saying he believes Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck could co-exist in Indianapolis after all.

Archie made major waves on Monday when he said he didn't think his son and Luck wanted to be teammates next season. He likely felt the backlash from the Colts and is now backing off. "[Luck] and Peyton have a friendship, and I'm one of the few people out there that's not really concerned about this deal," said Archie. "All good people respect each other and I'm sure this will all shake out.

And as for the contract:

Vice chairman Bill Polian said Peyton Manning is "OK" with the Colts using a high pick on a quarterback in the 2012 draft.

The Colts are 0-10, giving them a two-game lead in the Suck for Luck race. "The bottom line is that if the right person is there, and it has to be the right person, then now is the time to make that choice," Polian said. "Peyton and I have spoken about that, and he's OK with that." Manning, who is slowly recovering from neck surgery, is due a $28 million bonus next season and will turn 36 in March. The Colts can opt out of the deal if they choose.

As great as Manning is, I would much rather draft a young qb.

Just because Lombardi says something doesn't necessarily mean that it will happen. If it did happen then it wouldn't be a bad thing because Manning is a quick learner and would pick up the basics of the offense before the season started. I would say he would have more leeway with running the offense because he is that good. The reason it won't happen is not that Snyder and company won't make the trade but rather that Manning would have a choice of where he would go. Manning is not a Werst Coast QB and he wouldn't want to get into that type of offense unless he had some latitude within the offense.

The only way I could even stomach a Snyder move like this, is if, we can maintain our first round draft status, and be able to draft a potential franchise qb in the first round (Barkely, RGIII, Jones, etc...).

Do you fans realize that no matter how ESPN spins this, that Manning is one good hit away from not being able to play with his kids--nonethless playing in the NFL into his late 30's. What happens when Kyle Shanahan is not happy with Peyton not picking up "his" offense?

We need to stick to drafting our QB in the first round and running with it....

This is exactly how i'm feeling about this as well.

This is not happening.

First off, Snyder no longer makes personnel decisions -- apparently not even some of the posters on here know that, so it's no wonder the rest of the nation doesn't understand that -- which is why whenever a name like Manning comes up in a trade, the Redskins are always mentioned not far behind. I look forward to the day when the Redskins aren't mentioned knee-jerk whenever any big name player becomes available as a free agent or in a trade.

Shahanan's biggest mistake so far, BY FAR, was the McNabb trade. He is not going to make a similar error by trading away for an aging QB like Peyton Manning.

We are rebuilding. We are young. We are drafting our franchise QB. We don't need to take shortcuts. Shortcuts is what got us here, people!! Shortcuts is why we were 6-10 last year and are 4-8 now. Vinny took shortcuts. Snyder takes shortcuts. We are finally now doing it the right way -- we are not, and should not, get Peyton Manning.

I like Lombardi and feel he knows alot around the league with all his FO exprerience, but this is the same guy that thought we (the Skins) would win the NFC East as well at the start of the year...so even though he's right alot there are time when he's not perfect....and I hope in this case he's not right...imho Manning would not fit in a Shanahan style offense....and does the old man "Tom Moore" come with Manning?..sorry no thanks...I'd rather struggle with a rookie QB who could become our franchise then to have Manning for 1-2 seasons....

Like I said, he wouldn't restructure ahead of time. It would be after the Colts had already made the move to the future and started playing Luck. I highly doubt Manning would be okay sitting behind him.

So, the idea is to pay him a $28 mil bonus, start paying him his $7 mil+ salary, sit him on the bench and then hope that by the trade deadline he gets so pissed he decides to pay back the bonus and let you trade him? All to recoup whatever the trade value is of a 36 year old with a bad neck, who, additionally, you have just now made the most talked about malcontent in NFL history.

The flaw with your plan might be that it is just too brilliant.

I think getting Peyton and RG3 in the same year would be the best thing to happen to me behind of course my baby girl being born. This could have us the team of this decade. If you don't think we can win a Superbowl with Peyton you haven't been watching football the last 12 years. And this will make RG3 better and have a team built around him.

Good thing Snyder has no say in what we do.

I doubt Shanahan wants another retread.

This. I'm not only tired of the media pointing every available, over the hill, expensive player to us, but I'm really tired of our own fans who are too stupid to realize that Snyder does not run the show anymore. People are ignorant.

Archived