Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: DEANGELO HALL NAMED NFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Mark The Homer

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

Nov. 30, 2011

DEANGELO HALL NAMED NFC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

ASHBURN, Va. – The National Football League announced today that Washington Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall has been named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in a Week 12 win over Seattle.

Against the Seahawks, Hall had a career-high seven passes defensed, seven tackles and a game-clinching interception late in the fourth quarter of the Redskins’ 23-17 victory. The Redskins’ defense held Seattle to 126 yards passing and a 46.7 completion percentage (14-of-30 passing), the lowest of any NFL team in Week 12.

This marks the second time that Hall has won NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors. He previously won the award after a four-interception performance against the Chicago Bears in Week 7 of the 2010 season. The feat tied an NFL and Redskins record. Hall became the 19th NFL player and third Redskin to record four interceptions in the same game. He became the first NFL player to record all four interceptions in the second half, including returning one 92 yards for a touchdown.

Redskins players have won 80 Player of the Week awards, including 33 NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors, since the NFL started awarding weekly honors in 1984. Before Hall’s selection this week, linebacker Brian Orakpo was the most recent honoree, as he was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week following the Redskins’ Week 4 win at St. Louis earlier this season.

eshead9sjpg.jpg

From goat to Conference player of the week, huh? Look, I don't expect him to be able to shut down likes of Dez Bryant one on one every time, because no one does. I hope DHall retires a Redskin. He can still handle his own against most WRs in this league, not everyone can do that, and believe it or not he just turned 28 a couple days ago...

I have been critical of Hall's performance this season for good reason. He hasn't played at a high level for most of the year. I think one of the biggest reasons is not have a corner on the other side who is great in coverage. If Rogers were still here I believe Hall would have had a better season. The Skins must draft a corner next season. Wilson is decent but not exactly someone you fear throwing at.

From goat to Conference player of the week, huh? Look, I don't expect him to be able to shut down likes of Dez Bryant one on one every time, because no one does. I hope DHall retires a Redskin. He can still handle his own against most WRs in this league, not everyone can do that, and believe it or not he just turned 28 a couple days ago...

Pretty much the life of all but a handful of DBs whoever played. Its rare that a DB who plays for a team that wins/loses so many close games isn't scrutinized.

how is this award determined? is it voting by players/coaches/media? i wonder if his comments last week saying he would cut himself (and the ensuing tweets from ray lewis, roethlisburger, etc) factored into it.

Seven passes defensed is an incredible number. Leading the league are Brandon Flowers with 17 and Jabari Greer/Joe Hayden have 16 -- for the season (11 games). Granted, you have to be thrown at to defend passes, but he clearly played well on Sunday. But I don't know how the award is determined. Surely not the players, they wouldn't vote each week. I'd guess the press.

Hall is a good player. He's exactly what he's always been. Feisty, playmaking corner. He is not a cover corner/shutdown corner. INTs come in bunches. I say he gets one against Sanchez this weekend. Heard it here.

I have been critical of Hall's performance this season for good reason. He hasn't played at a high level for most of the year. I think one of the biggest reasons is not have a corner on the other side who is great in coverage. If Rogers were still here I believe Hall would have had a better season. The Skins must draft a corner next season. Wilson is decent but not exactly someone you fear throwing at.

Josh Wilson has been playing better as the season goes on. I'm expecting him to be above average at worst next season and probably a surprise.

Archived