Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

White House Shooting Suspect Arrested. Faces Attempted Assassination Charges.

skinsfan07

Exactly. There is no way any "attempted assassination" charges stick if he did not have Obama in the gun sight. A firearms charge and a destruction of property charge which will result in a year in jail.

:ols: Call me crazy, but this guy is getting more than a possession and vandalism charge.

Exactly. There is no way any "attempted assassination" charges stick if he did not have Obama in the gun sight. A firearms charge and a destruction of property charge which will result in a year in jail.

What if the bullet had hit someone... are you calling it manslaughter? I think attempted assination is not an unreasonable charge. He didn't have a high liklihood of suceeding, but he certainly wasn't intending to give anyone a box of chocolates.

What if the bullet had hit someone... are you calling it manslaughter? I think attempted assination is not an unreasonable charge. He didn't have a high liklihood of suceeding, but he certainly wasn't intending to give anyone a box of chocolates.
There is no point taking a case into court that you cannot prove. Even Lionel Hutz could get an "attempted assassination" charge dismissed. If he had hit the president, then you have something. If he hit anyone else and killed them, then probably 2nd degree. If he had killed someone, he would have most likely plead insanity because he clearly is insane.

Hell, pretty sure even shooting at the White House can be counted as an act of treason. There's reason to believe because this dude said himself that his goal was to kill the President. He then shot at the White House... I know you don't like this President, but that seems a pretty strong correlation. Words:Actions.

Funny thing is, this kind of thing happens more than you would expect. My wife interned at the White House during the Bush Administration for 6 months and there were 4 separate times that shots were fired at the White House.

I can believe it... although, at the same time it's hard to believe something like that wouldn't make the news.

Usually they don't get away like this guy did.

Even then, you'd think you'd hear about it... Then again, maybe we did and because it was taken care of promptly I forgot. The other liklihood is that it was Cheney. He was an avid huntsman... wouldn't surprise me if he went shooting around the White House, esp. if he saw a wabbit.

Hell, pretty sure even shooting at the White House can be counted as an act of treason. There's reason to believe because this dude said himself that his goal was to kill the President. He then shot at the White House... I know you don't like this President, but that seems a pretty strong correlation. Words:Actions.
I am not a fan or the president, but I would take a bullet for him because he is the president. We'll see what happens. I seriously doubt he is competent enough to stand trial.

Even then, you'd think you'd hear about it... Then again, maybe we did and because it was taken care of promptly I forgot. The other liklihood is that it was Cheney. He was an avid huntsman... wouldn't surprise me if he went shooting around the White House, esp. if he saw a wabbit.

Cheney is always a possiblity. I think that generally it is an unwritten rule to not report it, because it shows a perceived weakness in presidential security. I know that it was happened many times dating back to Reagan at least.

Even if they don't hit this guy with assassination, how is what he did any different than what Plaxico Burress did? In fact, I apologize to Plax since he never intended to fire his weapon. So, even taking the White House out of the equation, this guy fired shots on a main road in Washington, DC.

I think the main difference is that Burress wasn't brandishing a firearm. He had it in his pants and shot himself (:doh:). This guy purposely shot at the living quarters of the President of the United States. Now, i am not a fan of Obama, but I don't feel compelled to fire a gun at him, for practical or demonstrative purposes.

Even if they don't hit this guy with assassination, how is what he did any different than what Plaxico Burress did? In fact, I apologize to Plax since he never intended to fire his weapon. So, even taking the White House out of the equation, this guy fired shots on a main road in Washington, DC.

Nobody's claiming otherwise.

I don't see anybody arguing that the guy is completely innocent of any crime whatsoever.

I, myself, do see some holes in attempting to claim that his actions were done for the specific purpose of attempting to murder a specific person.

If I fire six rounds at my neighbor's house, from a mile away, when nobody's even in the front yard, I've committed a crime, but is it attempted murder?

Nobody's claiming otherwise.

I don't see anybody arguing that the guy is completely innocent of any crime whatsoever.

I, myself, do see some holes in attempting to claim that his actions were done for the specific purpose of attempting to murder a specific person.

If I fire six rounds at my neighbor's house, from a mile away, when nobody's even in the front yard, I've committed a crime, but is it attempted murder?

Sadly an attempt on the presidents life is considered greater than attempt on a citizen's life. Federal law says that attempted murder on a federal officer is punishable of 5-8 years, BUT if the attempt is against the President it is Life in prison.

Sadly an attempt on the presidents life is considered greater than attempt on a citizen's life. Federal law says that attempted murder on a federal officer is punishable of 5-8 years, BUT if the attempt is against the President it is Life in prison.

But, how do you prove that he was trying to kill Obama, when the defense can conclusively prove that he wasn't even aiming at him?

(Not only was Obama not visible to him, he wasn't even in the house.)

But, how do you prove that he was trying to kill Obama, when the defense can conclusively prove that he wasn't even aiming at him?

(Not only was Obama not visible to him, he wasn't even in the house.)

I can't claim to be a lawyer. But I do doubt that attempted murder will be hard to pin. But I do know that he can be charged with Reckless Endangerment, unlawful discharge of a firearm, vandalism of federal property. My point is that the Pres seems to be more valuable than the average citizen when it comes to crimes against.

I can't claim to be a lawyer. But I do doubt that attempted murder will be hard to pin. But I do know that he can be charged with Reckless Endangerment, unlawful discharge of a firearm, vandalism of federal property. My point is that the Pres seems to be more valuable than the average citizen when it comes to crimes against.

Oh, I agree. He'll get charged (and convicted) of something.

Heck, could terrorism fit? Does firing a gun at somebody's house count as terrorism?

If there was a Secret Service agent standing outside the house, could attempting to shoot a cop stick?

I am not a fan or the president, but I would take a bullet for him because he is the president. We'll see what happens. I seriously doubt he is competent enough to stand trial.

If he can hit a window from 700 yards he is competent enough to stand trial....that is impressive for a regular civilian..

Oh, I agree. He'll get charged (and convicted) of something.

Heck, could terrorism fit? Does firing a gun at somebody's house count as terrorism?

*If there was a Secret Service agent standing outside the house, could attempting to shoot a cop stick?

Shooting someone's house is probably not terrorism, but the Presidents may be.

So apparently this guy thought he was Jesus and Obama was the anti-Christ.

Idaho man charged with trying to assassinate Obama

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - An Idaho man accused of firing an assault rifle at the White House believed he was Jesus and thought President Barack Obama was the Antichrist, according to court documents and those who knew him. At one point, he even suggested to an acquaintance the president was planning to implant computer tracking chips into children.

My first thought was, if you think you're Jesus and you ask yourself "What would Jesus do?" I wouldn't expect the answer to be "Kill somebody." But I shouldn't expect rational thought from somebody that a) thinks he's Jesus, B) thinks the president is the anti-Christ, c) thinks the president plans to put computer tracking chips into kids, and d) thinks the best solution for B) and c) is to kill the president.

Archived