Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No longer is it "Dallas" week: The Cowboys simply aren't good enough to get up for

SkinsHokieFan

Are you actually trying to claim they have had similar success lately

:ols:

You sir are the delusional one if you really think Dallas is more relevant than the Skins. Check playoff wins and other relevant facts then get back to me. Division wins, what 1-2 more? :ols::ols:

Both teams suck. Welcome to reality.

They will never agree (Cowturd fans), but neither team is relevant enough to warrant the hype until further notice.

why should they agree. here we are in another year, and if we want to talk chances of winning a division and getting a playoff birth, they are relevant, Washington is not.

If the talk is about high draft picks, once again, Washington is relevant to that discussion.

apples and oranges.

Look at it another way, since Parcells came on board over there, they have had 6 winning seasons out of 8 years. So the vast majority of the time, they have been as relevant part of the post season discussion.

Meanwhile 7 full seasons have passes since Washington tried to right the ship with Gibbs and it amounted to 2 relevant seasons.

6/8 = .750

2/7 = .286

that is a night and day contrast in directions of these franchises. so i find this entire thread stupid, hollow sour grapes. Its actually an embarrassment to the franchise to even try to make the argument the OP is attempting to make.

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 07:21 AM ----------

You sir are the delusional one if you really think Dallas is more relevant than the Skins. Check playoff wins and other relevant facts then get back to me. Division wins, what 1-2 more? :ols::ols:

once again, one team is entering the second half of the season ni the playoff discussion, the other is left wondering about draft picks. pretty clear who the delusional fans are.

To me it will always be"'Dallas Week" even if both teams aren't relevant. In these dark and somber times, I still get up for these Dallas games because I don't want the rivalry inside my brain to die even though the product on the field, on both sides, is sub par. My sons, 6 & 3yrs, sit along side me on the couch on game day and they already know that Dallas is the "enemy" and that we cheer on any team that plays Dallas.

Even though we are far removed from our glory years, I still harbor deep hatred and disdain for the Cowboys. It will all come full circle again.

I'm about halfway in agreement with the OP.

The rivalry is dead and has been for years. In order to maintain a rivalry the games must matter... And in twenty years out of 40 games MAYBE five have taken place when both teams were good/relevant and had something important on the line. Jets-Pats is a good rivalry, but it meant nothing 15 years ago. Tradition plays a small part, but relevance is most important.

But the Cowboys have done their part over the years more than we have. Dallas has played a TON of big games in the Romo sits to pee era alone as have a 13-3 and 11-5 season along with two dicision titles to show for it. Yes, they have more often than not either lost those big games or blown their chance along the way, but they have clearly been the more relevant and interesting team over the last 7-8 years. Without question.

They are a talented team that seems to have internal flaws... That makes for good TV. At 5-4 Dallas is relevant for sure especially with their talent.... They might be headed for the same fate, but they do keep folks interested.

My only real care for wanting to win the game has to do with us... I fear Shanny might be cracking... He looks miserable. I don't think a positive week or two, something to feel good about, would be the worst thing in the world at this point. Shanny does not have the faith r confidence of the fans or media or maybe the team. It would be helpful I believe for that to change, even at the expense of a higher pick (Brandon Weeden is the second best QB in the draft and we can draft him whenever we want).

So, I agree that "Dallas Week" is blah at best this week. Yawn. But it has a lot more to do with us than them. If we were 5-4, this would be a fun game.

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 07:39 AM ----------

Dude, they are clearly and undeniably more relevant than the Redskins. There is no question there. Yes, they've choked seasons away in the end, but by definition, in order to choke, you must first be relevant.

This team isn't getting LUCK, so get over it.

Beating Dallas and hurting their playoff chances and also beating the Eagles to finish 5-11 would at least make this season bearable. We would still be in the Top 10 and get our franchise QB. Of course, we are all assuming the Skins will even draft a QB. What if Shanny decides to go after a young up and coming vet instead? I don't know if there is one, but you never know.

This is me as well :yes:...we're not gonna get luck unless we trade a bunch of draft picks, and when it comes to trading picks for Luck, throw out the draft value chart. Whoever has the rights to drafting Luck will get far more than the draft value chart would dictate. So winning or losing against the Cowboys is irrelevant in that context.

I would love to beat Dallas and be 4-6 to their 5-5...the only thing different this time is that if we don't beat the Cowboys I will not be angry over it, and will tell myself that the silver lining this season is at least having a higher draft pick to hopefully use on a true franchise QB. But I'd still be thinking we'll end up with a high draft pick for a franchise QB even if we beat Dallas...just possibly not AS high lol.

I hate the title "America's Team".

I hate that "Star".

I hate "The Triplets".

I hate their fans.

I hate "How 'bout them Cowboys"!

I hate "Rowdy".

I hate Jerral Wayne.

They will never agree (Cowturd fans), but neither team is relevant enough to warrant the hype until further notice.

new_zone_40.giflaugh_norm.gifsux_skins.gifbasher_redskins.giflombardi.gif

Sorry man, I had too. You were blowing way to much hate. :D

hammock.gif

I know what the OP is trying to point out and it makes sense to a degree. The trouble I have with it is that he wasn't around during those times to see the true feeling of "Dallas" week so he has nothing to compare it to except the historical aspect of it. I know that this week seems unimportant because it won't allow us to get a top 5 draft pick. Essentially suck for Luck mentality even though we havbe no chance at getting him unless we pull a Mike Ditka move. It seems like we have the same holes to fill every year and we keep drafting the same positional players we already have. Safety, CB, LB, WR, RB, TE, and then in the late rounds we get an occassional OL player just to say we drafted one or two. We need a solid 1st or second round OL player to build the line back to what it was when the Redskins were good. That is why we can't even compete with a mediocre Dallas team anymore. Dallas has the talent but they have the wrong coach for the job and an overrated owner to boot. One win against this mediocre Dallas team will at least give this fan some pleasure and to shut up the Cowboy fans up for a week or two.

This team isn't getting LUCK, so get over it.

Beating Dallas and hurting their playoff chances and also beating the Eagles to finish 5-11 would at least make this season bearable. We would still be in the Top 10 and get our franchise QB. Of course, we are all assuming the Skins will even draft a QB. What if Shanny decides to go after a young up and coming vet instead? I don't know if there is one, but you never know.

5-11 probably has us in the 11-13 pick category, considering the awful records of the teams around us.

That would be a complete disaster in my mind

No offense to the OP, as he does bring up an interesting point about the diminishing importance of the rivalry, but I just find it rather bizarre for a person who is (rumored to be) a member and frequent visitor of the Cowboyszone forum to be starting a thread like this. What gives? The CZ is even talking about it: http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223397

Anyway, back to the topic. It is sad to see one of the great NFL rivalries go down the tubes because of both teams' lack of success. To be a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s brought some incredible moments for both teams.

No offense to the OP, as he does bring up an interesting point about the diminishing importance of the rivalry, but I just find it rather bizarre for a person who is (rumored to be) a member and frequent visitor of the Cowboyszone forum to be starting a thread like this. What gives? The CZ is even talking about it: http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223397

Anyway, back to the topic. It is sad to see one of the great NFL rivalries go down the tubes because of both teams' lack of success. To be a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s brought some incredible moments for both teams.

CZ shouldn't be too flattered, I am a frequent visitor to every NFC East forum :)

The overall terribleness of the Redskins+the Cowboys not being THE Cowboys has completely diminished this game for me.

Winning does very little for us

The team the Redskins play on Sunday is a mediocre 5-4,

That made me laugh seeing how they just crushed a team that crushed us. I love my Skins but this week is going to suck. If we manage to keep this one close i will be totally shocked!!

The whole "they beat team x who beat team y" argument never holds up to logic, though. The Skins beat the Cardinals who beat the Eagles...the Eagles crushed BOTH the Redskins and the Cowboys. Yet they are 3-6.

The Cowboys ARE a mediocre 5-4. Skins fans need to realize that the Redskins sucking doesn't negate that fact.

Nice post. But the flip side is that we are not relevant either. Neither team has very good for 15 years in all reality. But it is still the Cowfags and as such they must go down and they must go down hard.

I don't think we are relevant at all at this point and won't be for another 2 years. Which makes a win utterly useless at this point.

The Lions going 1-15 in 2008 wouldn't have affected where they are now, though.

Yea, 0-16 to 1-15 isn't going to kill a chacne at a number 1 pick.

But with the pack of teams so bad right now, we potentially go from number 2 overall to number 12 overall with anymore wins.

I would like, for once in the history of this team, to be at that number 2 spot with options. The highest this franchise has ever picked is 3, and that was once back in 1994.

We have never had the number 1 overall pick. We won't get it this year, but I'd like to get damn close :)

We have never had the number 1 overall pick. We won't get it this year, but I'd like to get damn close :)

Unfortunately, I think the Skins roster right now will more than do its part in helping you see that come true lol :doh:

S.T.real,lights,out did bring up a point, though: shouldn't your stance in the OP be independent of how "relevant" the Cowboys--or any opponent--happens to be? Would beating a 9-0 Cowboys team that won the Super Bowl last season help us anymore than a win against this current mediocre squad wearing the star on their helmets?

once again, one team is entering the second half of the season ni the playoff discussion, the other is left wondering about draft picks. pretty clear who the delusional fans are.

We're not delusional, we KNOW the Skins suck. Keep telling yourself the Cowgirls are relevant. Eventually they will be.

This one is really tough for me.

I hate the Cowboys, and that stretches back to a very foggy, childlike memory of the Clint Longley Thanksgiving game in 1974. I remember much more clearly when they beat us in 1979 35-34, knocking us out of the playoff race even though we finished 10-6. I was upset for weeks. I'm STILL upset!

So when we faced them in the '82 NFC Championship game, where even MORE was on the line, we hadn't beaten them SINCE 1979. Most people didn't think we COULD beat them.

Watching the gritty performance our guys gave that day, hearing the birth of "We Want Dallas" the week before, watching Danny White crying on the sidelines after being K.O.'ed ... you couldn't have written a better script for redemption.

So yeah, all those childhood emotions shape how I view every Dallas game, no matter what the records are, no matter what's at stake. Add to that all the arrogant Dallas fans I've known throughout the years, and it makes things even more personal.

And yet, I as much as it pains me to admit it, I have reached the point in my fandom, after so many horrendous years (this probably being the worst), that if it takes losing to finally RIGHT our ship for the long haul, then so be it.

Don't mistake that as me hoping for a loss, though. I just cannot ever do that. It feels like a crime against nature. All I can concede is that, if we DO lose, which seems likely (but not a given), I'll console myself pretty quickly with the hope that this season is all about taking a big step back so we can take a bigger step forward.

There is one thing that people continualy get mixed up.

It's not a rivalry because the teams are winning. It's not a rivalry because the teams are relevant. It's not a rivalry because the outcome of the game determines something in the division or conference.

It's a rivalry because the fans of the teams (and to a lesser degree the players) hate each other with a passion!!!!

Hail!

It will be "DALLAS WEEK" til the end of time. This is Cowboys vs. Indians. This is Landry vs. Allen. This is the dancing bear returning an interception. This is Lavar retiring Aikman early. This is Brunell throwing two touchdowns to Moss for a win. This is SEAN TAYLOR's blocked FG and return setting up a winning FG! What do you mean we can't get up for D anymore? It doesn't matter what the records are or who the players are. We are going to kick some cowboy butt!!!

Archived