Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No longer is it "Dallas" week: The Cowboys simply aren't good enough to get up for

SkinsHokieFan

I think there is one thing younger Redskins fans haven't figured out, and older Redskins fans seem to not want to let go of.

The Cowboys don't matter. Not one bit.

We are talking about a franchise that was universally picked to win the Superbowl in its home stadium last year, and crumbled with a 1-7 start.

A franchise which has won 1 playoff game in 15 years since its last Superbowl.

A franchise whose biggest highlight in the past 15 years is a dropped snap on a gimme FG in a playoff game.

Which brings in a QB that simply has no ability to perform in the clutch.

Flash back to the NFC Championship game in January of 1983.

The Cowboys at this point had played in 5 of the last 11 Superbowls, and had played in 9 NFC Championship (or NFL championship games) in 17 years. A team which barely lost on a miracle "catch" in the NFC championship game the year before. A franchise which hadn't missed the playoffs since the mid 1960s, which had at that time the best coach in the NFL, and quite frankly was the standard in the NFL.

They were led by this man

Landry_Tom_Action_180-220.jpg

Thats why we wanted Dallas. They were good. They were damn good Redskins fans, once being smart, knew they were very good and the standard to be measured against.

The Redskins on that day beat the Cowboys 31-17 en route to the first Superbowl win in franchise history. So called "fans" of that team like to point to that season as being a strike year, thus an asterick should be placed on our Superbowl trophy. Point out that we ran over them at RFK they stumble and stammer. Not a very bright bunch.

The team the Redskins play on Sunday is a mediocre 5-4. Was 6-10 last season. Had three straight 5-11 seasons just a decade ago and has vomited all over itself any time its had the chance to prove itself. They are now led by this man

JerryJonesCrying.jpg

So really, what do I care if we beat these guys on Sunday? A win over a 5-4 consistently underachieving team? Meh

What winning does is seriously put in jeopardy any hope of a true rebuild and potentially knocks us out of any chance at the number 2 overall pick. It puts the 2012 season in jeopardy and the Shanahan era in jeopardy if we are unable to secure the right QB in the April 2012 draft.

It could potentially drop us from a number 2 overall pick to number 12 overall.

A meaningless win in Jacksonville last season dropped us from number 5 to 10. This cost us a chance at the windfall trade the Browns got with Atlanta.

Until our ship is right, until the Redskins actually have direction with a young QB to build around, this franchise is simply drowning. Beating a mediocre, underachieving team hinders finding that QB.

So do we as fans want Dallas? This particular fan is pretty indifferent about them. Lets see some young guys make some plays and get me to April

I think the only reason I give a crap about the Cowboys is because, despite being mediocre for large portions of the last decade (like us), they are CONSISTENTLY touted as playoff and Super Bowl contenders. Every friggin' years. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are. Every year they're a potential Super Bowl team. I'm just sick of hearing about them.

I always want to win. I understand that it hurts draft position, but I always want the team to win. And to beat the Cowboys speficially. Nothing would make me happier than to see the once again overhyped Cowboys get smacked in the mouth by our sorry, rebuilding asses, just so I can see Tony Romo sits to pee's dopey, sorry mug pout on the field like a little girl.

We'll lose, probably, but I just hate hearing about how the Cowboys still have a chance to make a playoff run.

Absolutely nailed it. I've said for a long time that "We Want Dallas" is now a compliment to Dallas. 30 years ago it meant something. It meant "we aren't afraid or intimidated of you". It meant "bring on the best because we are now better than you". Dallas is as irrelevant as we are now. They no longer are a measuring stick and have not been for about 15 years.

I'm glad at least one other fan gets this.

I think the only reason I give a crap about the Cowboys is because, despite being mediocre for large portions of the last decade (like us), they are CONSISTENTLY touted as playoff and Super Bowl contenders. Every friggin' years. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are. Every year they're a potential Super Bowl team. I'm just sick of hearing about them.

I always want to win. I understand that it hurts draft position, but I always want the team to win. And to beat the Cowboys speficially. Nothing would make me happier than to see the once again overhyped Cowboys get smacked in the mouth by our sorry, rebuilding asses, just so I can see Tony Romo sits to pee's dopey, sorry mug pout on the field like a little girl.

We'll lose, probably, but I just hate hearing about how the Cowboys still have a chance to make a playoff run.

I don't think the Cowboys are worthy of our fanbase getting up in arms over. I understand your position though, this is the most hyped team year in year out which produces nothing

Sure, the Cowboys of 1982 were. That was a damn great team.

These bums? Really? Meh

I am worried about righting our ship first before I worry about beating a 5-4 team

Absolutely nailed it. I've said for a long time that "We Want Dallas" is now a compliment to Dallas. 30 years ago it meant something. It meant "we aren't afraid or intimidated of you". It meant "bring on the best because we are now better than you". Dallas is as irrelevant as we are.

Yup, you said it best. It gives a franchise undeserved respect for something which happened just after my 1st birthday.

I don't care about Dallas. I want our team to be damn good first. At that point I'll worry about other teams

It would matter if WE were relevant. THAT'S why its not the same anymore.

Its an absolute compliment to that franchise that we actually care so much about beating them.

I cared in that 2005 win where we won 35-7 because we were on a playoff run. That game decided who went to the playoffs and who stayed home.

As is the usual case in the rivalry, when a game matters, we win.

But we suck right now. And quite frankly, they have sucked for years now too. Beating them doesn't matter

I don't think the Cowboys are worthy of our fanbase getting up in arms over. I understand your position though, this is the most hyped team year in year out which produces nothing

Sure, the Cowboys of 1982 were. That was a damn great team.

These bums? Really? Meh

I am worried about righting our ship first before I worry about beating a 5-4 team

Really, this year, I was less hyped over the Cowboys game than I was over the Eagles. Nothing woulda made me happier than beating the "Dream Team", who are doing the exact same thing that damned us to mediocrity for the better part of a decade. I HATE the Eagles after what they've done to us in 2 of the last 3 games. I get much more joy out of watching them twist in the win than I do watching the Cowboys. In a couple seasons, I think THAT will be the rivalry in the NFC East. And I'm sorry, in the last game of the year, even if it hurts our draft position, I'd STILL want to batter the Eagles into a bloody frakking pulp.

Cowboys is just a side effect of me overdosing them...

Really, this year, I was less hyped over the Cowboys game than I was over the Eagles.

Cowboys is just a side effect of me overdosing them...

I agree with that also. I wanted that Eagles game. Its been the only game this year I have been emotionally invested in.

Losing that game was crushing, especially how it was lost, and I think it also crushed the team

I've emotionally checked out on this team. I'm a fan and they have my interest but I can't get angry about gameday anymore. If the boys beat us by 30 I'll shake my head and laugh it off.

... And that ha nothing to do with How many playoff wins Dallas has in 15 years.

Your logic is absolutely flawless fan. And I wish that I was a Vulcan or something so that I could actually resist getting up for the Cowboys. But I'm 16 years older than you and it's just not about logic anymore; with friends, co-workers and relatives, it's gotten kind of like tradition, and even a little personal.

Ol heads like myself don't know of any way else to approach us playing Dallas. If my family saw that I wasn't hype for Dallas, they would all immediately check to see if I had slept next to a pod the night before.

This team isn't getting LUCK, so get over it.

Beating Dallas and hurting their playoff chances and also beating the Eagles to finish 5-11 would at least make this season bearable. We would still be in the Top 10 and get our franchise QB. Of course, we are all assuming the Skins will even draft a QB. What if Shanny decides to go after a young up and coming vet instead? I don't know if there is one, but you never know.

Don't you mean "we aren't good enough to get up for"?

Who cares about Callous Cowpukes if we can't score an offensive TD?

Who cares about the Cowpukes when we can't even get off the field during critical points in the game?

Why is getting up for the Cowpukes even a question when we continually beat ourselves?

This isn't the same rivalry it used to be.

:helmet:

Whatever. In historical context, I understand you're point, Hokie, but I still want to blow them out anyway. :ols:

Dallas has broken my heart too many times for me to not care if we beat them or not at home. When we're having a losing season like this, and I know the players are trying, at the very least please do not get embarrassed at home by Dallas. I know the offense is averaging like 10 points a game lately, so the odds of us winning this week or at all the rest of the season are not in our favor. Chances are no matter what happens this Sunday, we're getting our top pick for a franchise QB whether we like it or not.

Having said all that, I hope we beat the crap out of them.

I'll feel better about life, make $20 for gas money, and won't have to deal so much with the proverbial poking by stick from loser Dallas fans until we play them again next year. Maybe you don't care, good for you, but I still do. I'm 23, so I don't feel like turning off my emotions right now. Having too much fun...

:helmet:

I agree with SHF that Dallas hasn't done jack in 15 years, but also agree that the rivalry is also about our team as well.

There's a thread on the ATN about Belicheck and part of it discusses 2008 when Brady got hurt and they went 11-5 with Cassel but the winning percentage of the teams they beat was only .400, etc.

Who the hell cares?

As a Redskins fan, I just want to beat SOMEONE! I don't care who it is.

Hell, I don't think we've even been in the lead in a game for like the past month.

this thread is utterly transparent. Dallas isn't special, but they are relevant, and have been for the last several years. Washington is a long ways from being able to say the same.

sour grapes can be an ugly thing.

How are they relevant and the Skins not? Both teams sit at home in January every year and both clubs have similar playoff records over the past decade. I hope you plan on qualifying the above statements because otherwise they just sound stupid.

How are they relevant and the Skins not? Both teams sit at home in January every year and both clubs have similar playoff records over the past decade. I hope you plan on qualifying the above statements because otherwise they just sound stupid.

division wins and far more playoff births makes them relevant.

Meanwhile Washington is a perennial last place club.

since 2000, Washington has had 2 seasons above 500. a 10-6 year and a 9-7 year.

Meanwhile, Dallas has had 6 seasons above 500, including a 13 and 11 win season.

Are you delusional or something? Are you actually trying to claim they have had similar success lately

I think there is one thing younger Redskins fans haven't figured out, and older Redskins fans seem to not want to let go of.

The Cowboys don't matter.

I''ve been saying this for years. Thanks for reiterating!

I've emotionally checked out on this team. I'm a fan and they have my interest but I can't get angry about gameday anymore. If the boys beat us by 30 I'll shake my head and laugh it off.

This is about where I'm at for this season. I'll get my hopes up again after the draft - hopefully.

It's not entirely clear to me why this is a "rivalry" at this point. Neither team has been particularly relevant in 20 years. The teams have not really played a game that meant anything since the late 90s, I think.

This is a rivalry that exists because fans simply insist that it is.

The Yankees-Red Sox rivalry was dead in the late 90s because the Red Sox weren't particularly good. The Steelers-Browns rivlary has been replaced with the Steelers-Ravens rivalry. The Lakers-Celtics rivalry meant nothing for 20 years. But twice a year, we trot this corpse out and pretend it's alive and well and meaningful.

Archived