Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Race for the 2nd overall pick

skinfan2k

The sad thing is if we were smart and got the 2nd overall pick we should draft OT Matt Kalil from USC (or trade back). I know everyone wants Barkley, Jones or Griffin, but none of them are the 2nd best player in the draft. Now i know likely the QB's will go high, but it does worry me that we might be 'reaching' somewhat.

In my latest 5 round Mock Draft I have the Redskins picking 4th, but still landing a quarterback. Let me know what you guys think of my Mock! Thanks HTTR!

There is no such thing as reaching for your franchise quarterback.

I don't think that they give up on McCoy just yet.

They will give up on McCoy if Luck or Barkley is on the board when their draft spot comes up.

---------- Post added November-14th-2011 at 08:00 AM ----------

There is no such thing as reaching for your franchise quarterback.

Agreed. If we have a top 3 pick and we do not draft a QB. I don't even want to think about it.

Absolutely. There is no freakin way that happens.

To look a it another way too- can you imagine them telling Manning they're sticking with him, and oh btw Peyton, we're not gonna bother drafting you any help in the first round. We're going to draft a guy to stick on the bench. Now good luck leading this 0-16 team.

Especially when that team is deprived of talent and leadership. Manning not playing has essentially made him into the GOAT as crazy as that seems. The Colts need a lot of work now and have a few years to find Manning's replacement. No way they are simply a qb away from getting back into contention. They have been in contention because they had the GOAT. Time to surround the GOAT with better players by trading out of #1. They could get a serious player next year and stock up on other rounds.

The question is, how much does it cost to go from #1 to #2 knowing so many will be wanting #1?

dude look at our schedule. over the past 3 games we've scored 20 total points, and 1 TD. thats with 2 different QBs.

how in gods name do we win another game this year?

I can't even imagine. As a Redskins fan and even considering the last 20 years, to lose 10 straight games is inconceivable. And then to lose 10 straight and not even get the #1 pick, and possibly not even the #2 is insult to injury.

Not at all.

Kellen Moore 2011 stats: 9 games, 220 of 297 passing, 2,549 yards, 31 TDs, 5 INTs; 14 rushes, -40 yards.

Andrew Luck 2011 state: 10 games, 221 of 313 passing, 2,695 yards, 29 TDs, 7 INTs; 34 rushes, 134 yards, 2 TDs; 1 reception, 13 yards.

So Moore has a better completion percentage, TD to INT ratio, more TDs in one less game, and probably will have more passing yards. So unless you're wanting Luck in D.C. for his rushing ability, I'd say Moore is a better option.

---------- Post added November-14th-2011 at 12:40 AM ----------

Not been watchin' much college football this year, huh? Life can get busy. :ols:

You cant really go to much on stats in college. Kellen Moore also by far plays weaker competition then Luck does. He is short and has a weak arm and can't make all the NFL throws. To me Kellen Moore is a Matt Leinart clone and how well did Leinart work in the NFL.

Heard a nasty rumor that Barkley might stay in school one more year. It actually does make a little sense, though as that USC offense is going to be just sick.

I hope he doesnt but it would make a lot of sense. They are going to have an awesome team next year and im pretty sure their ban will be over and will be able to attend a bowl game. So i guess i woudn't be totally shocked. And not being able to get a major payday b/c of the rookie cap may keep him there one more year.

Heard a nasty rumor that Barkley might stay in school one more year. It actually does make a little sense, though as that USC offense is going to be just sick.

The LA Times is reporting that Matt Barkley would leave the USC early for the NFL only if he finished his junior season strong.

"I want to put myself in a position to go out with a bang."

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/04/sports/la-sp-1105-plaschke-usc-20111105

I've actually calculated exactly where we are at the moment, with current SOS in games already played, but not incorporating the second half od the schedule. Once we're allowed to create threads, I actually have a long, involved post that will show where we stand relative to other teams, which I will attempt to update weekly. For those curious, using the criteria above, we currently would pick 7th.

The LA Times is reporting that Matt Barkley would leave the USC early for the NFL only if he finished his junior season strong.

I wonder what constitutes a "bang"?

---------- Post added November-14th-2011 at 10:00 AM ----------

I've actually calculated exactly where we are at the moment, with current SOS in games already played, but not incorporating the second half od the schedule. Once we're allowed to create threads, I actually have a long, involved post that will show where we stand relative to other teams, which I will attempt to update weekly. For those curious, using the criteria above, we currently would pick 7th.

I expect that to change (in our favor) given how we've been playing and who we have left on the schedule.

After watching some film on the QBs supposedly coming out this year, I honestly think that Luck/Griffin/Jones are all better prospects anyway.

I expect that to change (in our favor) given how we've been playing and who we have left on the schedule.

That really depends, actually. Of course, the most obvious path to a higher draft pick is losing, but I expect many teams at the bottom to lose most of their games. In terms of SOS, our end of year schedule really hurts us. We're going to be playing teams with a lot of wins which will jump us up, and could lose us spots on this tiebreaker.

The sad thing is if we were smart and got the 2nd overall pick we should draft OT Matt Kalil from USC (or trade back). I know everyone wants Barkley, Jones or Griffin, but none of them are the 2nd best player in the draft. Now i know likely the QB's will go high, but it does worry me that we might be 'reaching' somewhat.

In my latest 5 round Mock Draft I have the Redskins picking 4th, but still landing a quarterback. Let me know what you guys think of my Mock! Thanks HTTR!

I have to say: that's a fascinating argument.

The Redskins need a QB, but do you really want to use the #2 pick on the 10th best player? I think at this point, the need is so vast that reaching a bit is warranted. I don't think Barkley or Jones will be a bust (I'm terrified of RGIII by the way....I do not want him). I think they are both going to be Flacco-level QBs. The question is, Can you live with Joe Flacco as the #2 pick. Keep in mind, Joe Flacco would probably elevate this team to .500 all by himself.

I can't even imagine. As a Redskins fan and even considering the last 20 years, to lose 10 straight games is inconceivable. And then to lose 10 straight and not even get the #1 pick, and possibly not even the #2 is insult to injury.

if we lose 10 straight we'll end up drafting #2 overall for sure.

only 7 more to go. we can do this.

I have to say: that's a fascinating argument.

The Redskins need a QB' date=' but do you really want to use the #2 pick on the 10th best player? I think at this point, the need is so vast that reaching a bit is warranted. I don't think Barkley or Jones will be a bust (I'm terrified of RGIII by the way....I do not want him). I think they are both going to be Flacco-level QBs. The question is, Can you live with Joe Flacco as the #2 pick. Keep in mind, Joe Flacco would probably elevate this team to .500 all by himself.[/quote']

I thought both Barkley and Jones have mobility? Flacco is a pocket passer.

If we can get the 2 pick and get Barkley without having to trade away any other draft picks, that is going to be huge.. We still have all of other picks to address other needs and really set up this team for the future. We have to lose out but next week its going to be so hard to cheer for us to lose against the girls.. But this is chess its not checkers we have to set r selves up to get Barkley and not trade away a bunch of picks to do so..

This scenario or getting Luck without giving up more than 1 & 2 would be the ideal scenario. We need this entire draft for QB, OL and more OL.

Every win from now on out just screws the future more.

I hate losing but they are going to lose whether I like it or not.

I thought both Barkley and Jones have mobility? Flacco is a pocket passer.

I've seen Jone throw some good passes on the run but he doesn't have move good. Barkley does move very good in the pocket and he looks good on bootlegs and rollouts. He is asked to do that about ten times a game.

Man with all this 2nd overall draft projection, and the debate over the QB that we want, could you imagine what would transpire if shanny picks a CB or such with the first overall pick we have? The Flames off of Fedex Field will be hot enough to scorch the earth and end the world before the Mayans even predicted. I mention this because i drempt it last night.

Agree....Thats what will happen even if we get the first pick. I dont think Shanahan will do the obvious, he hasnt so far. We will trade back for more picks and he will draft a QB we never heard of in the third round and try to prove everyone wrong. (like Rex and Beck) lol For the record, Barkley to me is the best fit for our O.

I've seen Jone throw some good passes on the run but he doesn't have move good. Barkley does move very good in the pocket and he looks good on bootlegs and rollouts. He is asked to do that about ten times a game.

Yea the Flacco comparison is a bit weird, maybe unless he just means from a production stand point? Not sure exactly, but Barkley is a fine prospect, probably the best QB out of USC in a good while and fits the Skins offense almost too perfectly. I'd have to say that Barkley is a much better prospect than Flacco was. Luck is the prototype but I think the Skins can do just fine with Barkley under center.

Archived