Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Virus(angry rant)

RichmondRedskin88

To be fair..a lot of these fake messages are very good at mimicking windows alert messages and to the everyday user,

I'm usually pretty good at knowing what my system error menus look like, what got me was that I had just gotten my new PC with the Windows 7 upgrade and I didn't have it long enough to learn what they system stuff looked like, it wasn't until the warning came up that said that the hard-drive temp was 300 degrees that I knew something was up.

I use Firefox, hate IE- as I know it makes one more vulnerable.

Does anyone know of the long term affects of this virus on your computer?

most malware gets on peoples' computers through social engineering, not security holes. they throw up a popup that looks like an alert from your operating system and try to get you to click on it. there's little that any browser or antivirus software can do in defense when it is the user who is clicking on the thing and basically telling the computer to install it. both browsers are roughly equally vulnerable to stupid users.

trojans and malware will not harm the hardware of your computer. any messages you get about hard drive temps getting too high is just the malware trying to get you click on stuff. it's bogus. getting them fully removed can be a pain, though, as one thing they tend to do is set up multiple avenues for them to reinstall themselves.

personally, i recommend malwareBytes ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/ ) for getting rid of this kind of software. however, keep in mind that 9 times out of ten, it was some proactive action on the part of the user that infected the computer. most of the time, simply visiting a shady website is not enough to infect you (especially if your browser is up to date with security patches). it's when you start downloading obscure "video codecs" or clicking "ok" on dialogs prompting you to clean up your system that you get in trouble.

Even before I did any of those things I rarely ever got anything resembling a virus (maybe once or twice, ever). That said, since doing those things for the past 2 or 3 years, 0 viruses. I think I need to wait a lot longer before I can claim the system works, but it feels fairly secure. If anyone has any knowledge of how sandboxie would fail in this regard, let me know. There have been some attacks (rare I think) that don't require clicking "yes" or obviously downloading something (straight through an IE bug). I believe those are cut off by Sandboxie, but I'm not sure how else they'd be cut off, except by knowing which exact site is risky (so you'd need to be using third party tools to notify you of risky sites, which I do too, even though I don't think I go to any).

I don't know too much about Sandboxie but sandboxing in general is a pretty surefire way to protect system resources. I'd personally consider it overkill outside of its usual applications in virtualization or particularly hazardous software testing, although Chrome makes pretty good use of it. It's been quite a few years (certainly not since Vista was released) since I've had any sort of virus or malware on any of my personal devices. The closest thing I've had to a constant in that time frame is smart browsing habits and Firefox/AdBlock/NoScript. Beyond that I've typically gone without a firewall, with or without anti-virus software, and usually with passive anti-malware software of some sort in case of emergency (Ad-aware, Spybot, MalwareBytes).

Good browsing habits are the most important part of it by quite a bit but NoScript really helps to whittle down the margin for user error and, in some ways, forces you to remain cognizant of security risks.

That hidden **** was a *****. I had to go on bleepingcomputer.com and find a program called unhide. It basically processes the C drive in command prompt and changes the settings to back to unhidden. You can't just simply change the settings back to unhidden after killing the virus because it hides those too. When the messages about Tempature and such popped up I got suspicious. Soon as I saw it finish the "system restore scan" and show "buy now" I was like you SOB!!!!

most malware gets on peoples' computers through social engineering, not security holes. they throw up a popup that looks like an alert from your operating system and try to get you to click on it. there's little that any browser or antivirus software can do in defense when it is the user who is clicking on the thing and basically telling the computer to install it. both browsers are roughly equally vulnerable to stupid users.

trojans and malware will not harm the hardware of your computer. any messages you get about hard drive temps getting too high is just the malware trying to get you click on stuff. it's bogus. getting them fully removed can be a pain, though, as one thing they tend to do is set up multiple avenues for them to reinstall themselves.

personally, i recommend malwareBytes ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/ ) for getting rid of this kind of software. however, keep in mind that 9 times out of ten, it was some proactive action on the part of the user that infected the computer. most of the time, simply visiting a shady website is not enough to infect you (especially if your browser is up to date with security patches). it's when you start downloading obscure "video codecs" or clicking "ok" on dialogs prompting you to clean up your system that you get in trouble.

whats strange, is that I never clicked on any pop up. Matter of fact, I hadn't even been on the computer for almost 2 days. As soon as I turned it on last ngiht, the scan showed up- and it was downhill from there.

I'll be home in a few hours, and will try to fix this. I printed out some procedures from the net, but I'm worried that I don't know enough to get rid of it completely,. Wish me luck.

PS - since it blocked my access to the internet, how in the world do I get to the malwarebytes website? I'm in a pickle.

whats strange, is that I never clicked on any pop up. Matter of fact, I hadn't even been on the computer for almost 2 days. As soon as I turned it on last ngiht, the scan showed up- and it was downhill from there.

I'll be home in a few hours, and will try to fix this. I printed out some procedures from the net, but I'm worried that I don't know enough to get rid of it completely,. Wish me luck.

PS - since it blocked my access to the internet, how in the world do I get to the malwarebytes website? I'm in a pickle.

You will need download malawarebytes to something and transfer it onto the infected computer. Otherwise the virus will sense you downloading. I luckily managed to get to a browser to get it. If its locked your internet transferring it will be the only way.

http://www.precisesecurity.com/rogue/windows-recovery

After you run a full scan and wipe everything out you need to go to bleepingcomputer.com. Download unhide.exe . It will bring back everything. The desktop will remain black until you change the desktop. Everything will come back slowly though. It might take 30 mins for it fully bring everything back.

The biggest thing is you need to use malwarebytes. Its powerful as a hell. It saved my dads computer a few months back but I stupidly didn't put it on mine.

What PP and RR88 said.

The steps I'd use are:

1. On another computer, go to the malwarebytes website. Download the install file of the free version, and save it to your flashdrive.

2. Start up your computer in Safe Mode. Turn off System Restore. Put the flashdrive in, and install malwarebytes.

3. Say yes to the trial version of malwarebytes, where you have more features, you can always uninstall it later. MB can't update in Safe Mode but you can still install and run a scan. (And you run less risk on infecting your flashdrive) When the scan is done, choose "show results", and have MB delete everything it finds. If MB says it's an infection, it's an infection.

4. Restart the computer normally, open MB, update it, and run a scan again. Remove anything it finds.

That will fix most virus/malware problems.

Combofix from bleepingcomputer is another very good anti-virus/malware cleaner.

---------- Post added November-9th-2011 at 05:42 PM ----------

Glad I have a Mac. **** Windows. And I used Windows all my life til recently.
Nobody makes viruses for Macs because relatively nobody uses them.

e5d1d607c917d963885d1364b82ac8d340df67e3_m.jpg

What PP and RR88 said.

The steps I'd use are:

1. On another computer, go to the malwarebytes website. Download the install file of the free version, and save it to your flashdrive.

2. Start up your computer in Safe Mode. Turn off System Restore. Put the flashdrive in, and install malwarebytes.

3. Say yes to the trial version of malwarebytes, where you have more features, you can always uninstall it later. MB can't update in Safe Mode but you can still install and run a scan. (And you run less risk on infecting your flashdrive) When the scan is done, choose "show results", and have MB delete everything it finds. If MB says it's an infection, it's an infection.

4. Restart the computer normally, open MB, update it, and run a scan again. Remove anything it finds.

That will fix most virus/malware problems.

Combofix from bleepingcomputer is another very good anti-virus/malware cleaner.

]

ok, have it on a flashdrive. will be home about 5:30pm (PST)- so should know shortly after that if this all works.

Thanks a bunch for your help guys!

[/color]Nobody makes viruses for Macs because relatively nobody uses them.

You're joking right? Of course more people have Windows PC's because they've been around for so much longer than Mac's but still Mac's are on the come up. Have fun with your slow boot up speeds, loads of viruses, and awful processing system (I'm talking to you Windows Vista **** you! :) ) I'll have fun with my entertainment computer that can do everything I need it to.

You're joking right? Of course more people have Windows PC's because they've been around for so much longer than Mac's but still Mac's are on the come up. Have fun with your slow boot up speeds, loads of viruses, and awful processing system (I'm talking to you Windows Vista **** you! :) ) I'll have fun with my entertainment computer that can do everything I need it to.
lol. Everything you said, about which has been around longer, to which is "coming up", so which is really faster if you have a "clean" version of windows like the relatively stripped down Apple OS, etc. is wrong.

lol. Everything you said, about which has been around longer, to which is "coming up", so which is really faster if you have a "clean" version of windows like the relatively stripped down Apple OS, etc. is wrong.

Haltst thy bickering, cretins! Linux is the superior OS.

Derail complete

lol Mac's are on the come up, no denying that though. Everyone who is everyone wants one. Windows = business/pro, Mac = pleasure/hip

I have a Laptop running Windows 7, so doesn't matter to me either way, just saying which is better through my comparison.

I ran the malware bytes scan in safe mode, it found 35 infections, cleared those. Rebooted and back in normal

Mode, could access Internet, but running malware bytes scan again. It's almost done and found 3 infections. Also, now my Microsft Security essentials is saying it wants to clean 2 infected files.

Also, it looks like all my files are there, pics, iTunes etc. so would I have to still go through the unhide process?

Anything else I should do?

PS- posting from my iPhone right now

I ran the malware bytes scan in safe mode, it found 35 infections, cleared those. Rebooted and back in normal

Mode, could access Internet, but running malware bytes scan again. It's almost done and found 3 infections. Also, now my Microsft Security essentials is saying it wants to clean 2 infected files.

Also, it looks like all my files are there, pics, iTunes etc. so would I have to still go through the unhide process?

Anything else I should do?

PS- posting from my iPhone right now

At this point, would a fresh install of your operating system be out of the question? Just disconnect your PC from the internet completely, and back up all your data and reinstall whatever OS you are running. Sounds easier to me, but I don't know how much data you stand to lose if you do that.

---------- Post added November-9th-2011 at 10:22 PM ----------

Haltst thy bickering, cretins! Linux is the superior OS.

Derail complete

I used to triple boot my macbook pro with ubuntu, win 7, and OSX. tri-winning.

Your both wrong :)

Mac OS is Unix and Windows is well...windows....

I wouldn't compare which OS has been around longer unless you know what you are talking about.

I switched to an all Mac family two years ago because I was tired of cleaning my daughters machines of viruses. In two years of my daughters on facebook, etc, I have never had a virus issue. Prior to that, monthly/quarterly issues.

Enjoy typing your bank account username and password on Windows boxes you cleaned up with these viruses. Hope you are safe ;)

The only thing that doesn't "work" on a Mac is websites using proprietary Windows technology. Otherwise, hands down Unix beats Windows. And Mac is Unix.

Microsoft is continuously losing in the OS market, and Google OS will slowly increase their loss in Market Share.

Google OS....Unix...imagine that.

There is a reason.

Would re-installing my OS erase all my personal files like iTunes, photos and documents? If so, I could save those to a bunch of CD's I guess and re-save later

Yea it would get rid of everything. Consider it your nuclear option if more knowledgeable people on here can't get you a better solution.

If the files are there I think Malwarebytes killed it. If you see anything suspicious over the next day or so then you might need to consider more drastic action. In my case it hide my folders and programs so I had to use unhide. Just make sure everything is there. Some of my stuff like Itunes and junk showed up but much of it was missing including all my desktop icons.

If the files are there I think Malwarebytes killed it. If you see anything suspicious over the next day or so then you might need to consider more drastic action. In my case it hide my folders and programs so I had to use unhide. Just make sure everything is there. Some of my stuff like Itunes and junk showed up but much of it was missing including all my desktop icons.

Yeah< I'm going to wait on re-installing the OS. I browsed quickly last night, and looks like my photos are there at least. I will check tonight on my music. I don't have to many files other than pics/music. I should save those to disc anyway and clean up the computer.

At least now if something happens I know what to do. Thanks again everyone for the help/advice.:)

Would re-installing my OS erase all my personal files like iTunes, photos and documents? If so, I could save those to a bunch of CD's I guess and re-save later
From your previous post, it sounds like you're ok. If you can get to where MB finds 0 infections, you should be clean. You can run combfix if you want to make sure. Combofix looks scary to run, but really, it's simpler than most cleaners including MB. If you run combofix, just click OK on any warnings and let it remove whatever. Like MB, if it says it's an infection, it is.

One thing to always try is creating a new user profile for yourself and using it. A lot of the malware is it'd to a user account. If this works for you, y can move the music pic files you want over to the new user profile and delete the old one. It's a step to take before going nuclear with a clean reinstall.

Archived