Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Virus(angry rant)

RichmondRedskin88

So I just spent about 3 hours working on killing a damn virus on my computer. Its called the Windows Recovery Virus. Its a REAL *****. Not only does it put a millions messages on your computer saying error and junk about the computer hard drive failed and RAM temperature too high and **** like that but then it hides all your stuff. So you have a black screen and nothing there. Only way to kill it is through malwarebytes(powerful as hell spyware/anti virus killer that can survive virus attacks. This damn virus shut down all anti virus except for this one apparently. Oh did I mention it basically hides your internet too?(I only got to my internet because I had AIM there to sign in and thus bring up my browser) Then you have to use a program to unhide all your programs. So I spent a hour finding the program online.

I swear if I could get a hold of the douchebags who make this **** I'd tie weights to their feet and stick them on a spanish donkey.

I'd have more sympathy for you if I didn't have so much experience in failing to prevent people from doing the dumb things required to get viruses like these on their computer in the first place. :ols:

Sad thing is it hit randomly. I was just on Facebook and ES when suddenly everything went psycho. A thing popped up that looked like system restore. I found something wrong with it not stopping when I clicked pause scan. Then it said Buy now after the scan finished. Then I knew it was a virus.

I have had 2 of these things so far.

The first was called Security Tool, the second was like you described about 50 pop up messages, no internet, etc.

Used Malwarebytes to get rid of both.

If you want, you could do a boot in safe mode and try a system restore for a few days earlier. That would work.

My wife got this one(or at least one very similar) a few months ago while doing research for one of her graduate classes. The malicious site pops up a little modal window at the bottom right of the screen that looks just like a windows security popup, if you click anywhere in there it tries to install software, which of course the user allows because they think windows security is trying to make a change. Moral of the story is don't click anything like that without killing your browser window first.

you aren't the only one. Got home last night and my computer is infected. I printed out a bunch of stuff today so I can go home and fix it. From what I'm reading, this is infecting a **** ton of comptuers world wide. And it has the ability to bypass pretty much any firewall, anti virus program. sucks.

I don't understand how people keep getting infected. I go to all kinds of whacky sites and never seem to get these.

I'm boring as hellon the computer. News paper site, ES, NFL.com, Itunes and Facebook( which I use the Https secure site)

I don't understand how people keep getting infected. I go to all kinds of whacky sites and never seem to get these.

I never get viruses because I am extremely careful and I don't really go to questionable sites. But I did get this virus a few months back. It was a real MFer to get rid of.

Its called the Windows Recovery Virus. Its a REAL *****.

Oh yeah, the person who wrote that nasty little piece of crap, needs to have bad things happen to them....baaaaaaaad things.

I bought my new computer for the office this summer, and I didn't have it a week before that piece of..........well....that virus hit me, I spent two days trying to clear it out and finally gave up and took it to the shop, and paid $100 to get my computer working again properly. To me a person who writes a computer virus is the same as the guy who steals $100 out of my wallet.

To be fair..a lot of these fake messages are very good at mimicking windows alert messages and to the everyday user, they wont know that Windows will never send these types of error messages (reguarding RAM/Reg Erros/etc)..nor will they read these error messages and will likely click, OK, Cancel or the X at the upper right to close it rather then going to task manager and killing it or hitting alt f4. Once they click anything on the fake alert it of course installs itself and all hell breaks loose. I could say common sense + av software goes a long ways, but the rotten *******s that design this **** know exactly who they're targeting. It sucks and because Windows is used by about 70-75% of all PC users, world wide, it's something we all have to deal with.

And I'll add removal of some these things is simply too time intensive, even when following the proper steps (we all have different techniques in removing this stuff). Sometimes its quickest/best to backup important docs, cut bait, and reformat.

I spent a couple of days trying to get rid of one of the "Windows Security" viruses on my computer earlier this year (chronicled in the Computer Help Thread). I used RKill, Malware-bytes, and a host of other things, nothing worked, I eventually reformatted my computer. Luckily everything important to me was saved on my external (uninfected) HD.

For all the people getting viruses in here who are not averse to using Firefox as their primary browser, I might suggest learning to use the NoScript add-on. Basically, it automatically disables all javascript/flash/executable content by default and allows you to manually enable content from domains that you trust. If you're not terribly computer literate it might take a little while to really get into the swing of knowing what to enable and what not to enable but it works extremely well. There are similar add-ons for Chrome and Opera, IIRC, but I don't know what they're called off the top of my head. If you use IE... well, you're just asking for whatever you get.

Or you could just be like PokerPacker and use another OS entirely that isn't vulnerable to the vast majority of all viruses/malware but is also really user unfriendly to the uninitiated.

you aren't the only one. Got home last night and my computer is infected. I printed out a bunch of stuff today so I can go home and fix it. From what I'm reading, this is infecting a **** ton of comptuers world wide. And it has the ability to bypass pretty much any firewall, anti virus program. sucks.

Firewalls don't tend to protect you against viruses so much as they minimize the risk of unauthorized access. That can help prevent a virus from working correctly in some cases but the virus is still there and still needs to be removed.

The anti-virus makers will catch up in a few days/weeks, though.

I'm boring as hellon the computer. News paper site, ES, NFL.com, Itunes and Facebook( which I use the Https secure site)

HTTPS also doesn't offer any protection from viruses, it just prevents someone from sniffing out data in transit. If your computer is compromised or the content that you're accessing is compromised you're still pretty much ****ed.

Rich, it doesn't just get there from that. I got it without going to one of those sites. I've gotten that freakin' virus about five times.

Agreed, my computer network in the office has content restrictions on it as do each of the computers themselves, and I still got hit with the Windows 7 bastage.

---------- Post added November-9th-2011 at 02:11 PM ----------

And the bugger defends itself. Anything you do to try and kill it, it then turns and kills or at least hides, if it wasn't for the "Dell Stage" I would have lost all access to the internet to even find out how to kill it, what I couldn't get back were my files that were hidden.

For all the people getting viruses in here who are not averse to using Firefox as their primary browser, I might suggest learning to use the NoScript add-on. Basically, it automatically disables all javascript/flash/executable content by default and allows you to manually enable content from domains that you trust. If you're not terribly computer literate it might take a little while to really get into the swing of knowing what to enable and what not to enable but it works extremely well. There are similar add-ons for Chrome and Opera, IIRC, but I don't know what they're called off the top of my head. If you use IE... well, you're just asking for whatever you get.

Or you could just be like PokerPacker and use another OS entirely that isn't vulnerable to the vast majority of all viruses/malware but is also really user unfriendly to the uninitiated.

Firewalls don't tend to protect you against viruses so much as they minimize the risk of unauthorized access. That can help prevent a virus from working correctly in some cases but the virus is still there and still needs to be removed.

The anti-virus makers will catch up in a few days/weeks, though.

HTTPS also doesn't offer any protection from viruses, it just prevents someone from sniffing out data in transit. If your computer is comprised or the content that you're accessing is compromised you're still pretty much ****ed.

I use Firefox, hate IE- as I know it makes one more vulnerable.

Does anyone know of the long term affects of this virus on your computer?

I run any browser I use (typically IE and Firefox) in a sandbox. http://www.sandboxie.com/

(I also open Adobe Reader in the sandbox automatically, since I read that it was also an attack vector)

MS Office I leave out, I am just very careful what sources send me MS Office documents I'll actually open on my machine.

I also use Firefox with NoScript.

Even before I did any of those things I rarely ever got anything resembling a virus (maybe once or twice, ever). That said, since doing those things for the past 2 or 3 years, 0 viruses. I think I need to wait a lot longer before I can claim the system works, but it feels fairly secure. If anyone has any knowledge of how sandboxie would fail in this regard, let me know. There have been some attacks (rare I think) that don't require clicking "yes" or obviously downloading something (straight through an IE bug). I believe those are cut off by Sandboxie, but I'm not sure how else they'd be cut off, except by knowing which exact site is risky (so you'd need to be using third party tools to notify you of risky sites, which I do too, even though I don't think I go to any).

Archived