Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Small, subtle things people aways do in movies/on TV that they (almost) never do in real life

Another one: Low level employee with no charisma all the sudden has to go 007 to break into the big boss man's office to download incriminating evidence on to flash drive.

As the files are loading, a huge progress bar that takes up the whole screen slowly increases as the camera alternates between the employee's panicked face "come on, come on, come on", and the huge progress bar on the screen. Obviously, the tiny progress bars on mac/pc would not have the same dramatic effect.

Immediately when completed, they rip out the drive (without safely removing hardware first, ugh), and depart the office. At the exact time they take the turn out on to another hallway out of line of sight, the big boss man all the sudden turns up the opposite hallway, suspecting nothing.

A few more:

- In movies, it takes very little to knock someone unconscious. A woman who weighs 110 lbs will knock out the bad guy by hitting him in the head with an ashtray. In real life, 90% of the time the bad guy would just get a bump on the head and really pissed off.

- The main character always sees a news report that pertains to their situation or to the mystery they're trying to solve simply by turning on the tv ("And in other news, several terrorists have been found in downtown Altoona...").

Very true about knocking people out. Also - in many case after someone is knocked unconscious they will develop amnesia. I suppose that some people develop this condition (I have never seen this), but this happens all of the time in movies/TV & then they magically get their memory back towards the end.

In terms of what you mentioned about the news - pretty much anything that a camera focuses on for more than 2 seconds will wind up being part of the script (a random person, a vehicle, etc). In real life 99% of what we encounter has no consequence and is forgotten in 2 seconds.

In movies, people always wake up from nightmares by suddenly sitting straight up, breathing heavy, and even sweating.

In real life, for most people when they wake up from a nightmare their eyes just open lol..

I actually just had a nightmare last night. Know how it ended? I gradually woke up, taking about 30 seconds to shift from dreaming to, "Oh, wow, I'm awake, thank God that wasn't real." Then I lumbered out of bed to take a piss, stubbing my toe on the way to the bathroom. It was about as anti-climactic as a nightmare can get. :ols:

people in post apocalyptic society are very well groomed...sometimes overly groomed with fancy haircuts. How do you get these haircuts? Without electricity? Without shelter? Are there still barber shops? where are they getting the gel and hairspray and hair dye?

---------- Post added November-11th-2011 at 06:36 PM ----------

in almost every love story....the guy will borderline stalk a woman. Not taking no for an answer, following her everywhere she goes, stalker her family, buy her strange gifts and sometimes kidnap her. All this results in the woman falling in love with him....

Ok, thought of another one. Someone gets shot and flies about 10 feet back. I've shot someone with a much more powerful gun than say a 9mm and they just fall. (no I'm not proud of shooting anyone, but I was in the military, and that's when it happened.)

I don't feel like reading through 11 pages to see if its been said, but when someone not that important like a mother of a main character goes to the hospital and everyone in the damn movie/show all go to the hospital at the same time and wait in the waiting room together.

How about this one. Chambering a round in an automatic weapon when you are already in a Gunfight (Usually when they see their target after stalking them for five minutes).

Example in real life I chamber the round when there is even a small possiblity I could get into a gunfight (Heck I even take the safety off - I do leave it un****ed).

I actually just had a nightmare last night. Know how it ended? I gradually woke up, taking about 30 seconds to shift from dreaming to, "Oh, wow, I'm awake, thank God that wasn't real." Then I lumbered out of bed to take a piss, stubbing my toe on the way to the bathroom. It was about as anti-climactic as a nightmare can get. :ols:
I like movies where the protagonist does that, then realizes he's still in the nightmare. :eek:

Archived