Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011-12 CAA Basketball Thread

bushwack

No way Drexel is losing today...sorry RR. Damion always turns it on when it matters and I see nothing different with tonight. Chris Fouch fits in nicely as a starter and as always, Franz is a straight baller. VCU played us hard at the DAC but we were able to pull away and i see the same here. Even though, the home-court advantage for you guys will be ridiculous

No apologies needed lol. (For note: That game in Philly we were 9-20 on FTs and lost by a couple. Ironically this game came down to FTs and we hit ours this time)

----

Anyway, Good game. I definitely think Drexel gets into the First Four. Both teams really left it all on the court. I feel like Franz and Burgess weren't feeling good in that game. Both look winded most of it(I believe Burgess was sick cuz the coaches were giving him something on the sidelines during the game). I'm guessing we end up with a 10 seed. Hopefully VCU and Drexel get matched up with power 6 teams so we can clean some house.

No apologies needed lol. (For note: That game in Philly we were 9-20 on FTs and lost by a couple. Ironically this game came down to FTs and we hit ours this time)

----

Anyway, Good game. I definitely think Drexel gets into the First Four. Both teams really left it all on the court. I feel like Franz and Burgess weren't feeling good in that game. Both look winded most of it(I believe Burgess was sick cuz the coaches were giving him something on the sidelines during the game). I'm guessing we end up with a 10 seed. Hopefully VCU and Drexel get matched up with power 6 teams so we can clean some house.

sorry that I'm late for my steaming plate of crow RR...good game. The whole campus was watching this game and it was the most school spirit I've seen at Drexel. I ref intramurals and we had games during the Finals and we stopped our intramural games to watch the final half on my Mac. It was heartbreaking and I def think Damion Lee should have taken the last shot. Anyways, I will be buying horseshoes, rabbit's feet, and 4 leaf clovers for Sunday night.

sorry that I'm late for my steaming plate of crow RR...good game. The whole campus was watching this game and it was the most school spirit I've seen at Drexel. I ref intramurals and we had games during the Finals and we stopped our intramural games to watch the final half on my Mac. It was heartbreaking and I def think Damion Lee should have taken the last shot. Anyways, I will be buying horseshoes, rabbit's feet, and 4 leaf clovers for Sunday night.

I thought Franz put up a pretty good shot. We were playing tough on Lee and Fouch at the end so Massanauts step back three was the best option. It was very close to going in too. After the game VCU student paraded all around campus with flags and such.

Winning the CAA championship was a little overwhelming for our fiery freshman Weber

0053.jpg

CCA really needs to address the issue of playing the tourny in VCU's back backyard every year. They shouldn't have home court advantage year after year.

What city would support it like Richmond? Norfolk might be a good spot but you'd have the same issue with ODU having an advantage instead of VCU. They just posted their best attendance so I doubt they're looking to change cities:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/mar/06/tdsport03-caa-tournament-notebook-ar-1742900/

What city would support it like Richmond? Norfolk might be a good spot but you'd have the same issue with ODU having an advantage instead of VCU. They just posted their best attendance so I doubt they're looking to change cities:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/mar/06/tdsport03-caa-tournament-notebook-ar-1742900/

Rotate it between Norfolk, Williamsburg, Richmond, and Fairfax. Maybe even DC if the Verizon center would take it on.

I understand more goes into this than home court and fairness....but there has to be some sort of resolution that can be made. VCU has an advantage every year. I don't think Mason loses to them this year if that game isn't in Richmond...they went on that run...a combination of great defense, poor play by mason, and that Richmond crowd going nuts was too overwhelming for Mason to overcome.

i'm getting tired of seeing pictures of Weber crying after a win or loss and hearing Shaka saying "Everyone thought we were going to suck this year, but we showed you" type of things. Congrats on winning the CAA tourney, but damn..

Oh yea, move the tourney out of Richmond :)

Rotate it between Norfolk, Williamsburg, Richmond, and Fairfax. Maybe even DC if the Verizon center would take it on.

I understand more goes into this than home court and fairness....but there has to be some sort of resolution that can be made. VCU has an advantage every year. I don't think Mason loses to them this year if that game isn't in Richmond...they went on that run...a combination of great defense, poor play by mason, and that Richmond crowd going nuts was too overwhelming for Mason to overcome.

Or we could just be the better team? Keep in mind Mason only won in Fairfax due to like 3-4 threes followed by a miracle buzzer beater at the end. VCU creamed them at Siegel and VCU controlled the game at RC. If not for Mason showing a lot of heart and amazing FT shooting in the semis they could have been run out of the arena.

Should the Big East move their tourney out of MSG every year, too? And maybe the Big 10 should stop rotating btwn Chicago and Indy. Big 12 championship? Get that **** out of Kansas City.

last time I checked, the Big East didn't have one fan base completely dominate the tournament every year.

Should the Big East move their tourney out of MSG every year, too? And maybe the Big 10 should stop rotating btwn Chicago and Indy. Big 12 championship? Get that **** out of Kansas City.
MSG is in NYC. NYC is a HUGE city. Gtown is closer to NYC than Syracuse is. St John, too small a school to dominate. And are we REALLY comparing Richmond to NYC, Chicago, Indy and KC? Really? Siegal and the coliseum are literally lass than 2 miles apart. You can walk from campus to the tourney. And Richmond is not exactly a destination like NYC or Chicago or Indy or KC. It is a small city, and spread out. No mass transit. There is an intrinsic home court advantage built in when a tourney is held 1.8 miles from your home gym. The CAA needs to rotate the tourney between Philly, DC and Charlotte. Richmond should be out. Philly incorporates the northern teams, while keeping the mid-atlantic area close. DC incorporates the mid-Atlantic while keeping the north and south close. Charlotte incorporates the south while keeping the mid-Atlantic close.

MSG is in NYC. NYC is a HUGE city. Gtown is closer to NYC than Syracuse is. St John, too small a school to dominate. And are we REALLY comparing Richmond to NYC, Chicago, Indy and KC? Really? Siegal and the coliseum are literally lass than 2 miles apart. You can walk from campus to the tourney. And Richmond is not exactly a destination like NYC or Chicago or Indy or KC. It is a small city, and spread out. No mass transit. There is an intrinsic home court advantage built in when a tourney is held 1.8 miles from your home gym. The CAA needs to rotate the tourney between Philly, DC and Charlotte. Richmond should be out. Philly incorporates the northern teams, while keeping the mid-atlantic area close. DC incorporates the mid-Atlantic while keeping the north and south close. Charlotte incorporates the south while keeping the mid-Atlantic close.

Moving the tourney North makes no sense when Northern home attendance is horrible. The best home attendance are the VA schools in the CAA. Philly won't embrace mid major tourneys either with all the major schools in the city. Hell Drexel can't even get the Philly Big schools to let it join. DC would mean having it Verizon Center thus the conference has to pay more to rent the building for 4 days. That means more money the CAA fans have to pay not to mention scheduling around the Caps, Wizards, etc(Also advantage GMU. Its across the river from the campus). Move to Charlotte advantage UNCW and you possibly cause Northern schools to not show up even more. Drexel had about 300 fans for the final which were brought on buses. About 20 Northeastern fans came together. If you move the tourney move South it discourages the North to show up. Then you have to count on GSU and UNCW making up the numbers.

Moving the tourney North makes no sense when Northern home attendance is horrible. The best home attendance are the VA schools in the CAA. Philly won't embrace mid major tourneys either with all the major schools in the city. Hell Drexel can't even get the Philly Big schools to let it join. DC would mean having it Verizon Center thus the conference has to pay more to rent the building for 4 days. That means more money the CAA fans have to pay not to mention scheduling around the Caps, Wizards, etc(Also advantage GMU. Its across the river from the campus). Move to Charlotte advantage UNCW and you possibly cause Northern schools to not show up even more. Drexel had about 300 fans for the final which were brought on buses. About 20 Northeastern fans came together. If you move the tourney move South it discourages the North to show up. Then you have to count on GSU and UNCW making up the numbers.
Translation: I am a VCU fan and like having home court advantage and the ability to drive to games and sleep in my own bed.

GMU:Verizon Center ≠ VCU:Richmond Coliseum. It is a 45 minute Metro ride and a 30 min - 2 hour car ride from GMU to Vz Center. It is a 1.8 mile walk (20-40 min) from Siegal to RC.

I wasn't comparing any of those cities. I was just pointing out that plenty of conferences hold their tournament at the same location every year. I went to a D3 school and our tournament was always in the same city, in the same ****ty arena. But hey, I'm sure that city offered an excellent bid to the tournament committee and attendance was good.

I understand the frustration and the perception of home court advantage. But in the last 10 years, VCU has won 4 CAA conference tournaments. This year is the only one of those that VCU wasn't also the regular season CAA champ (implying that they win when they're supposed to win). So while they may have more fans in the stands, I don't see it giving them some great advantage. And it's not like Richmond is an inaccessible city, and it's definitely not too expensive for the average CAA fan to visit, so there can't be too many complaints from that end.

So long as attendance keeps increasing and the city continues to be so supportive of the tournament, it's not going anywhere.

(I really don't care where they hold the tournament, by the way. I just think it's funny how much you guys whine about it :))

Translation: I am a VCU fan and like having home court advantage and the ability to drive to games and sleep in my own bed.

GMU:Verizon Center ≠ VCU:Richmond Coliseum. It is a 45 minute Metro ride and a 30 min - 2 hour car ride from GMU to Vz Center. It is a 1.8 mile walk (20-40 min) from Siegal to RC.

I love that CAA fans are so quick to go after VCU to RC advantage thing but if a VCU fan counters it instantly means we're lazy. As far as I'm concern this thread has run its course. If you'll excuse me I'm going to March Madness thread.

(sidenote: If you don't think GMU to VC is a advantage you might want to check out the GMU v Uconn game in 2006. It wasn't even close fan wise and I was there.)

I love that CAA fans are so quick to go after VCU to RC advantage thing but if a VCU fan counters it instantly means we're lazy. As far as I'm concern this thread has run its course. If you'll excuse me I'll going to March Madness thread.

(sidenote: If you don't think GMU to VC is a advantage you might want to check out the GMU v Uconn game in 2006. It wasn't even close fan wise and I was there.)

25% GMU fans, 25% UCONN fans and 50% anti-UCONN/underdog fans.

Essentially its okay for VCU to have home court advantage every single year, but not any other team. :ols:

At least come out and admit VCU has an advantage. The ignorance of VCU fans annoys me more than the fact that the tournament is held in Richmond.

Good luck in the tourney

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 10:48 AM ----------

Perhaps that says something about the GMU fans.

Truth. Mason didn't have a huge following before their FF run

Essentially its okay for VCU to have home court advantage every single year, but not any other team. :ols:

At least come out and admit VCU has an advantage. The ignorance of VCU fans annoys me more than the fact that the tournament is held in Richmond.

Good luck in the tourney

I will not say anything on the "advantage"

I will say we have won the CAA 5 times since joining in 1996. Every tourney since 1990 has been held in the Coliseum(Back then people complained U of R had the advantage. Guess why? They were good). The complaining about the location didn't really start until the Grant/Maynor era. People only complain now about the location because VCU has been good. Is it nice for VCU fans to have the tourney close by? Yes. I guaran damn tee you that if the tourney was held at Towson's home court no one would complain. Why? They are terrible. The best team always comes out of the tourney. We've gone down in the Quarterfinals, Semis, and Finals. Were people talking about a advantage when W&M upset us in 08? Were people talking about our advantage when we went down in 06 to Hofstra? Were people talking about advantage during a McCarthy era when VCU finished top 3 once? How about the Sonny Smith era? Outside of winning the conference the first year(We left the Metro league which was home to many future ACC/BE teams like VT, Louisville,GU,etc) VCU didn't do much. The "advantage" only appeared recently because of VCU's success. Rather than give us the credit due people make excuses. Hell all week all we hear from ODU and GMU is that our titles aren't legitimate because where we won them. How about we say your Final Four isn't legitimate because you won it across the river from campus? Would you appreciate that? I don't think so. You beat Uconn to reach the Final Four. The location is irrelevant. Was is great for you guys that you played it closer to home? Yes. Does that take away from the win? NO.

I don't think most people would deny that it is nice to play in your hometown, and it's a great for their fans who don't have to travel far. But that's as far as the advantage goes for VCU. You guys complain like VCU wins the tournament every year. If they did, then yea, I think you'd have a valid complaint. But they're not. They're winning it in years that they are good in the regular season, which is when you'd expect any team to win the tournament.

If you want to complain that you just don't want to go to Richmond for the tournament every year (you'd rather travel to Charlotte, Philly, DC, etc) because the city is simply not a desirable/accessible/affordable destination, then that's a much more valid complaint. But when you make it out to be an unfair advantage for VCU basketball, then I don't think the complaint is really justified. At least from what I can tell.

Finally, this is just my own stream of consciousness thought that I just came up with so I don't know if it really holds true: I don't think holding the tournament in a bigger market like Philly or DC is the greatest idea. Joe Philly or Joe DC who are casual sports fans, don't care so much about a small conference tournament. But Joe Richmond cares a lot, because the CAA tournament is one of the bigger sporting events to come through the city. Perhaps Joe Norfolk/Hampton/Newport News would care as well. I don't know how big Charlotte is, but I'd definitely put it in a bigger sports market category.

Archived