Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011-12 CAA Basketball Thread

bushwack

The only CAA team to get in is VCU who plays against Wichita State on Thursday. A rematch of last year's BracketBusters game.

Drexel will be in the NIT, which will mean Mason is the only other CAA team with a shot at the NIT since they swept ODU this season.

ODU will be playing at home in the CIT vs. Coastal Carolina, and Ga. State will be playing in the CIT as well, not sure who their opponent is.

urgh. I hate that selection.

1. Two mid majors that could have done damage in the tourney.

2. I hate a rematch against WSU. I been watching them this year and they are damn good.

sidenote: Why put a WSU-VCU game in Portland? One got one team in the middle of the country and the other on the East coast. That location sucks for both team's fans.

Good Luck to everyone else. Hopefully 2-3 teams make the NIT. Drexel should have gotten in but I got a feeling St Bonnies took their spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish VCU & Mason the best of luck if they make the move to the A-10, and I believe they should do so. The CAA is going to die in the upcoming years, whether or not this move is made. ODU will be leaving the CAA for hopefully the C-USA in the near future (5-7 years). Ga. State has wanted out before they really got in, but no one really wants them (can't blame any FBS conference). I could see JMU easily moving up to the FBS as well with their recent upgraded football stadium but their bball program is killing them.

I wish VCU & Mason the best of luck if they make the move to the A-10, and I believe they should do so. The CAA is going to die in the upcoming years, whether or not this move is made. ODU will be leaving the CAA for hopefully the C-USA in the near future (5-7 years). Ga. State has wanted out before they really got in, but no one really wants them (can't blame any FBS conference). I could see JMU easily moving up to the FBS as well with their recent upgraded football stadium but their bball program is killing them.

While JMU basketball is down, the university is going to be adding a new convocation center as well which will be very helpful if we do make the move up. Will be interesting to watch how things unfold at JMU as a lot of construction and building has been done and is still being done.

While JMU basketball is down, the university is going to be adding a new convocation center as well which will be very helpful if we do make the move up. Will be interesting to watch how things unfold at JMU as a lot of construction and building has been done and is still being done.

Do you see C-USA or the MAC knocking on your door first for FBS admittance?

MAC fans have been discussing JMU as a possible addition. Personally I dont want to just move to a place like the MAC, CUSA would be a better move of the two

Take out your personal feelings, because I've read where current CAA people think if ODU & JMU move it will be together, which I don't believe will be the case. I believe ODU is in a better situation to move up, not just because of athletics but because of the entire Hampton Roads market compared to the Harrisonburg market. If C-USA comes calling I don't see how ODU could turn them down, it's a perfect breeding ground/stepping stone for a move to the Big East/ACC.

Take out your personal feelings, because I've read where current CAA people think if ODU & JMU move it will be together, which I don't believe will be the case. I believe ODU is in a better situation to move up, not just because of athletics but because of the entire Hampton Roads market compared to the Harrisonburg market. If C-USA comes calling I don't see how ODU could turn them down, it's a perfect breeding ground/stepping stone for a move to the Big East/ACC.

Taking my feelings out of it, I still do expect JMU to not remain in the CAA. Those who are down here see it, we are building this university up a ton just waiting on whats going to happen with this new Convo and all. Now are we in a better situation with markets compared to ODU, no not at all, but places like Marshall and Miami Ohio don't have a all world market as well.

Taking my feelings out of it, I still do expect JMU to not remain in the CAA. Those who are down here see it, we are building this university up a ton just waiting on whats going to happen with this new Convo and all. Now are we in a better situation with markets compared to ODU, no not at all, but places like Marshall and Miami Ohio don't have a all world market as well.

I don't disagree but I don't know if C-USA will look at going after two VA schools, especially on very close to UVA & VT. I do believe JMU will definitely move up to the FBS level, you all didn't build that stadium for ****s and giggles, but IMO I think MAC is a more likely destination than what C-USA is.

I don't disagree but I don't know if C-USA will look at going after two VA schools, especially on very close to UVA & VT. I do believe JMU will definitely move up to the FBS level, you all didn't build that stadium for ****s and giggles, but IMO I think MAC is a more likely destination than what C-USA is.

Not that I disagree, just personally I'd love the CUSA but it wouldn't surprise me if we go to the MAC. Come on now Tyler we built that stadium just for show nothing else :ols:

EDIT: also if you are planning on coming to JMU for the game next year let me know we'll tailgate man

Not that I disagree, just personally I'd love the CUSA but it wouldn't surprise me if we go to the MAC. Come on now Tyler we built that stadium just for show nothing else :ols:

Just like we're upgrading our stadium in the upcoming future and building a new practice basketball facility in the next 2 years.

I feel bad for Delaware, they could be one solid school that could be left without a solid conference to play in.

Just like we're upgrading our stadium in the upcoming future and building a new practice basketball facility in the next 2 years.

I feel bad for Delaware, they could be one solid school that could be left without a solid conference to play in.

It'll definitely be interesting. Again the biggest thing for JMU will be watching what happens with the Convo and if we get a new one. Really would be a huge addition to this university getting an upgraded basketball arena

I do believe the A10 is good place for VCU and GMU. They have already added Butler and could have Creighton on the way. The A10(or Big Atlantic as some call it now lol) will definitely be a basketball force. I will miss some cool fans I met over the years. No more cheap tequila shots with the Ted Heads at the CAA tourney :( or totally becoming distracted by UNCW's dance team when we're up 15-20 at the Trask :ols:. I'll definitely miss the VCU-ODU rivalry so hopefully we keep it going OOC. I sadly knew this day was coming for the CAA when ODU said football was coming back. The fact is everyone knew ODU and JMU want to move to FBS while VCU and GMU are more focused on building on their basketball programs. GSU wants to go to FBS but whether they get there is up for question. I wish every program the best of luck if this truly the end(given we'll be here one more season).

sidenote: I think Yeager saw it coming which is why he rose the exit free. Honestly that was pointless though. With all the money the A10 has they could write a check for VCU and GMU's exit as a welcome gesture.

I'm excited about the potential of the A10 with VCU and Butler along with Mason. I feel like it could regularly push to be top 6 RPI conference. 4, maybe 5 teams in the tourney every year. The potential is there, just gotta hope some of the top basketball schools don't jump ship anytime soon.

When could this move potentially happen?

It could happen as soon as 2013. That's the earliest. All the exiting stuff(fees,university BOV voting,etc) would need to be handled. The good thing is that GMU and VCU are giving them tons of notice. We shouldn't leave the conference with hard feelings as result. We're clearly trying to give them time to try to find replacements. I'm happy the way we're leaving. I don't want any bitterness as we exit. The CAA has been good to VCU and GMU just as the universities have been good to it. I think even CAA schools who hate this move understand why we must make it. Its taking some of our fans time to accept the changes that will come(no CAA tourney in Richmond, longer traveling for fans for away games,etc). That's the price of building a better program though. Honestly considering the challenges the A10 tourney has been facing lately you could see it move more South in the future. Down the road it could end up Verizon Center or (very unlikely) even in the Coliseum should a new Coliseum be built. A10 will definitely be looking at locations once the move happens and the strong fanbase showings VCU and GMU have had at conference tourneys may cause them to think about moving it into DC or VA. Previously the A10 was centered around Temple but as we know Temple is heading out..

The new Barclays Center in Brooklyn will likely be the home for the A10 tournament for the forseeable future. Playing in NYC in a brand new arena...doesn't get much better than that.

The reason its been moving around is attendance though. The attendance has been terrible for the tourney. If attendance sucks again the conference will most likely re evaluate the site again. Depending on what moves happen conference alignment wise the A10 might start to shift more South after being a Northern focused conference for so long. That will be something they will have to consider if the tourney struggles.

• 1 month later...

Archived