Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011-12 CAA Basketball Thread

bushwack

If reports are accurate that GMU & VCU are going to the Atlantic 10 & ODU is going to C-USA then the CAA is essentially finished.

For basketball, yes. It's still a good FCS football conference, but if it starts losing some of the solid football programs too, like JMU, it might as well call it quits.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2012 at 10:29 AM ----------

are Mason and VCU going as well?

Nothing confirmed yet. Rumor is the delay is due to VCU's AD leaving for Minnesota and them having to sort that out first. I'd like to see Mason step up to the plate and take the lead on this if VCU is beating around the bush.

• 2 weeks later...
Mason staying in CAA. Hopefully this doesn't bite us in the ass, but I have a feeling it will.

Stunned when I heard that today. I guess Mason will be in charge of keeping the conference afloat. I got a feeling VCU and ODU are moving on. Even if ODU hangs around temporarily they want to go FBS and everyone knows it. I heard multiple reports there wasn't even a official invite for Mason(just meetings with A10 administrators) so I don't know. Of course this makes thing interesting as far as schools like Siena and Creighton who are on A10's watch list.

my friend told me he heard VCU was leaving the CAA. don't know if this has been confirmed.

if true, its a good move for VCU and a bad move for GMU by staying

I believe VCU is moving to the A10 immediately and will begin playing in the conference for the upcoming basketball season.

my friend told me he heard VCU was leaving the CAA. don't know if this has been confirmed.

if true, its a good move for VCU and a bad move for GMU by staying

VCU is gone, and I'm happy for them. They made the right move to better their athletics department and will reap the rewards in the upcoming years.

I'm still anxiously awaiting news about ODU and whether or not they will be leaving as well for C-USA. I hope we do leave, and from what I keep hearing we're waiting until after June 1st so we can still be eligible for the playoffs this upcoming season in football.

This is a great opportunity for us. Shaka mentioned he wants to keep the traditional rivalries intact which I interpret as Mason and ODU. Of course it will be once a year but atleast we'll get to stay together a little. This was the right move for us. I assume ODU will be on their way to CUSA any day now. I unfortunately think the conference will cause them to take hit in the b ball program but the chance at FBS football is worth it for them. Whether CUSA is ODU's final destination is a true question. Of course who knows if the A10 is VCU's depending on what happens in the future(Especially if the Big East b ball schools leave to form a conference with the A10 or something). I'm curious how quickly ODU would take its football to FBS level if it does move to CUSA. I'm also curious what happens to Mason now. Mason will have to be the flagship for the conference as it goes through a rough transition.

I had a similar reaction to Mason's decision at first too. I'm coming around to the fact that in the uncertain conference alignment landscape we are in now, it might be a better option to stay put for the time being. Better wait it out, weather the storm, and reevaluate the options once everything settles down. Who knows what the A10 is going to look like in 3-5 years. It might be a weaker conference.

Short term, A10 would be the right move. Long term, nobody can say for sure.

I don't understand why Mason stayed if they did in fact have the choice to go to the A-10. They are now left in a conference with only two teams that are somewhat similar to them in Drexel and Hofstra, where neither team is really close. Those three schools and Northeastern are all about basketball, while Towson, JMU, and Delaware are football schools that may move up in the future. W&M could easily go to the patriot league since 1-A athletics just isn't in their future.

Staying in a crumbling CAA/new American East will be difficult for Mason's fans to deal with, especially since their two largest rivals on the hardwood will be gone, and JMU hasn't been relevant in basketball for almost 20 years, and I believe they'll be the next school from the CAA going to the FBS, in possibly the MAC.

I had a similar reaction to Mason's decision at first too. I'm coming around to the fact that in the uncertain conference alignment landscape we are in now, it might be a better option to stay put for the time being. Better wait it out, weather the storm, and reevaluate the options once everything settles down. Who knows what the A10 is going to look like in 3-5 years. It might be a weaker conference.

This assumes that Mason continues to put together consecutive 20+ win season. In a weakened CAA that should be doable, however it's not a guarantee. UNCW was the best CAA just 5-6 years ago. After a couple of bad decisions that program is on life support and the future doesn't look much brighter either. Things can change at anytime. When you have an opportunity like this you don't **** around waiting for something to happen, you make it happen.

---------- Post added May-15th-2012 at 03:21 PM ----------

I don't understand why Mason stayed if they did in fact have the choice to go to the A-10. They are now left in a conference with only two teams that are somewhat similar to them in Drexel and Hofstra, where neither team is really close. Those three schools and Northeastern are all about basketball, while Towson, JMU, and Delaware are football schools that may move up in the future. W&M could easily go to the patriot league since 1-A athletics just isn't in their future.

Staying in a crumbling CAA/new American East will be difficult for Mason's fans to deal with, especially since their two largest rivals on the hardwood will be gone, and JMU hasn't been relevant in basketball for almost 20 years, and I believe they'll be the next school from the CAA going to the FBS, in possibly the MAC.

This is exactly how I feel. The administration has made it pretty clear that football is not going to be an option. I don't necessarily agree with their decision, but I have learned to accept it. However if this is the case then we should do everything in our power to make our basketball team the best it can be. The A10 is the best non-BCS basketball conference in the country. It's almost mind boggling why we wouldn't make the jump, especially considering one of rivals is already gone, another pretty much our the door, and the third waiting for an opportunity to bolt.

I assume this is the "Big East breaking up" discussion. Should the basketball schools of the Big East leave(Which they shouldn't if you saw the revenue) and look at the A10 we're in a nice spot. A10 is considered a BCS non major so Big East schools wouldn't be as opposed to the idea of VCU. Big East schools probably aren't gonna want to hook up with mid majors. Big East b ball schools probably wouldn't break anyway since the commissioner who ignored the basketball schools just got canned for the reason of not listening to the basketball school. The Big East may want football but basketball still has a good say in things. Currently that's the only conference that threatens the A10. Basketball is king in that conference so there's no threat from FBS. All I know is I was terrified by hearing Stony Brook and Coastal Carolina as potential additions to the CAA. I'm glad we left immediately because now we don't have to have a lame duck season.

Hell yes! This is the day I've been waiting for since speculation broke weeks ago, ODU made the right decision in leaving a crumbling, shattered CAA for greener pastures of C-USA and big boy football! Can't wait to start new rivalries with ECU, Marshall, & Charlotte!

I do feel for JMU's fans, they are screwed right now. I hope they can convince the MAC to take them, especially after the renovation they just did to expand their football stadium to 25,000 seats.

The CAA is dying and it's dying fast. Yeager better pull something out of his ass to help stop the bleeding because they just lost their two largest money schools in ODU & VCU.

Member presidents can vote to allow ODU and GSU to play, doubt it will happen though.

They would be stupid to reject mainly ODU and to a lesser extent GSU. VCU won't be there and if you take ODU out of the equation for the CAA Tourney, the attendance or lack thereof will be even worse in Richmond. Take away the two closest schools and two of the best programs and Yeager will see just how bad the figures will drop in a 12 month time span.

Archived