Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011-12 CAA Basketball Thread

bushwack

Basketball season is back once again! Or at least will be next week.

This year should be a very interesting one for the CAA. The field is wide open and there is no run away clear favorite this season.

The big three teams (ODU, Mason, & VCU) are all rebuilding/reloading in one way, shape, or form. Which has left the door open for Drexel to step in as the preseason favorite to win the CAA title.

The preseason poll and conference preview can be found here:

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=43048&SPID=3455&ATCLID=205318205&DB_OEM_ID=8500

1.) Drexel

2.) GMU

3.) VCU

4.) ODU

5.) JMU

6.) W&M

7.) Delaware

8.) Hofstra

9.) Northeastern

10.) UNC-W

11.) Ga. State

12.) Towson

damn i can't believe NCAA bball is starting up again.

I hope Mason doesn't have a down year with a new head coach and what seems like half the team leaving for other schools (or getting in trouble with the law)

Fear Towson. The beatings are coming to the rest of the CAA now that we have a legit coach.

I hope Mason doesn't have a down year with a new head coach and what seems like half the team leaving for other schools (or getting in trouble with the law)

It could be a tough start to the year, and were going to be relying heavily on Pearson and Morrison in the beginning. But I think by the end of the year Hewitt will have us in good shape going in to the CAA tournament.

People were laughing at the football team too.

There's been a noticable change by the university administration to focus on athletics.

Last year, towson basketball played a lot of teams close....but didn't win hardly any.

That will change this year.

Don't get me wrong, Towson MBB is definitely on the right track. Good new coach, good new recruits. But you don't turn that kind of disaster around in a year. I'm thinking 6 CAA wins this year for Towson, which if I recall correctly would be 6 more than they had last year.

Which would be one hell of a turnaround.

Mens football won 1 game all of last year. drastic turnarounds are possible.

If there was a year for Towson to make a move towards the top of the CAA it would be this year with the usual powerhouses having issues.

ODU will be very weak until mid-December, early January because of Bazemore's stress fracture, Hill not being eligible until December, and Ross not academically eligible until the 2nd semester.

We'll see if Towson can make a move in basketball like they have this year in football, but after last year they have nowhere to go but up.

Any news on Andre Corneilius?

http://gmuhoops.tumblr.com/post/11662959395

Court date is Nov 15, hopefully they get that plea deal wrapped up ASAP. He'll likely serve a suspension for awhile after that, but I'm going on record saying he'll be back playing by January at the latest.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2011 at 04:09 PM ----------

I'm hoping Vertrail can make some noise with the increased PT until then.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2011 at 04:10 PM ----------

BTW our freshmen looked $$$ in the exhibition this week. Copes knocking down some sick jump-hooks and Corey Edwards great passing and shooting.

I feel like I'm saying a broken record but JMU again will be the wildcard team this year. Watching AJ Davis in the exhibition, this kid has CAA POY potential, but again they were still sloppy on D and allowed the opponent to hit the open 3.

Also without Devon Moore this first semester it could be tough, but I'm not too worried with Hitchens moving to the PG position

It sucks that we have such a tough schedule at the start of the year. I think it's going to take some time for these players to jell together and for Hewitt to get his system in place. The biggest issue is going to be replacing the scoring that Cam Long provided last year.

I'm very happy about it. He will only miss 1 conference game. I think the punishment was appropriate in that it was harsh but not overly harsh so as to cost him his senior season.

We can manage 10 games without him, I saw him working out in the RAC the other day and he looked to be in good shape shooting wise. Were gonna need that when the conference schedule starts up.

We can manage 10 games without him, I saw him working out in the RAC the other day and he looked to be in good shape shooting wise. Were gonna need that when the conference schedule starts up.

Yep. Perimeter shooting was a big strength last year, and needs to be this year as well. With DJ and VV playing a lot it definitely is because those guys will both knock down 40%+. With only VV it's not as much. Allen and Wright are unproven from beyond the arc.

Yep. Perimeter shooting was a big strength last year, and needs to be this year as well. With DJ and VV playing a lot it definitely is because those guys will both knock down 40%+. With only VV it's not as much. Allen and Wright are unproven from beyond the arc.

I'm just praying that Morrison is ready to become a more well rounded player on offense. If we can get him and Pearson going then it's going to take a lot of pressure off our young and inexperienced backcourt.

I'm just praying that Morrison is ready to become a more well rounded player on offense. If we can get him and Pearson going then it's going to take a lot of pressure off our young and inexperienced backcourt.

All Mike Mo needs to to shoot 55-60% from FT and he'll get like 2 or 3 more PPG. His shot looked really smooth in the scrimmage last week.

Archived