Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk: Playing In the Trenches (Part 1)

KDawg

Chalk Talk: Playing in the Trenches (Part 1)

The offensive line is the most important part of a football team, but time and time again it’s ignored for the flashier positions on the field. The wide receiver who catches a screen and outruns some defenders to score six, the running back who explodes through the hole and gains ten yards, the quarterback who sits in the pocket and let’s a perfect fade ball go. It’s all more glamorous, and in the end, those guys are the ones who get their name in the paper.

I’ve seen it time and time again as a high school football coach. Most kids don’t want to play line, they feel they have to play it because they’re overweight or not as athletic. After all, the linemen don’t get their name in the paper… But if you want to play football, and you’re a big, “unathletic”, “dumb” kid, you’re supposed to play on the offensive line.

Well, let’s shed some light on the subject, shall we? The typical offensive lineman isn’t going to run a 4.4 forty, hell, some would be lucky to run a 5.2 forty. And they’re certainly not going to have a 40” vertical. Those are the flashy aspects of football. But go into the weight room during a session. Sure, there are some abnormally freaky specimens that play linebacker or running back that could lift a small elephant with ease, but take a look at these “unathletic” linemen throwing weight around like no one’s business. Go ahead. Wide receivers are the Porsche of the NFL, they’re fast and look pretty… But linemen are the truck. The hard working, off-roading, load toting mammoth vehicle that, quite simply put, just likes to man handle things.

Don’t get it twisted, I’m not mocking the non-linemen. Those guys are skilled and fun to watch, but do you know what I watch during a football game? The line. The line reveals all. Is it a run? The line will fire out at the defense. Is it a pass? They’ll take pass sets. See a pull? Most of the time it takes you to the ball, save for when there’s an influence pull [note: An influence pull is a pull in the opposite direction of the play, used to keep defenses honest]. The line reveals nearly every secret.

Does anyone want to tell me that offensive linemen aren’t smart? Every play they have to identify the Mike linebacker to adjust their blocking schemes. Then they have to decide what kind of scheme they want to run and they do that by anticipation and play call. Got a four front, but you’re anticipating outside blitz on a sprint action pass? Perhaps you check to a slide protection, perhaps you change to a six-man protection, or seven-man protection. Here’s comes a stunt [Note: a stunt is the defensive linemen, switching roles, to put it simply]. There’s so much that goes into blocking on any given play, which you really can’t even talk about it in one posting. It’s incredible to watch an offensive line in action.

But then you hear the term “skill position” in reference to everyone that isn’t a lineman. Really? Linemen aren’t a skill position, too? Okay, well then, you tell someone who’s stance requires them to sit on their haunches, stagger their feet (guards usually put their outside foot on the instep of the inside foot, tackles put their outside foot on the heel of their inside foot), sit down in a chair, get a squatter’s arch in the back, put your hand in the dirt, identify the defense and your current assignment and fire off the ball that it’s easy. All the while, you have to listen to audibles and changes. These “unathletic”, “unskilled”, and “dumb” linemen have to be able to take their set up step and attack step, sometimes after running down field to their target and explode through a defender in a matter of seconds. Because if they aren’t quick footed, they won’t get to the often speedier linebacker. If they attack their target at the wrong angle, they will put their running back or quarterback in danger. Everything has to be on point for a lineman. Everything. Their footwork, their foot speed, their punch into the target. If they forget their blocking scheme (of which there are many) and block the wrong guy, or the wrong way, they totally screw up the play.

But it’s simple to figure out a blocking assignment, right? Just block the guy in front of you. Wrong. There are various types of blocking schemes… There are deuce blocks, trey blocks, pulls, folds, trades, scrapes, rakes, kick steps, power steps, slide steps, gap steps, kick outs, down blocks, wham blocks, ted blocks, g blocks, bend blocks, inside zone, outside zone, reach blocks, hook blocks, hinge blocks, seal blocks, 3 step, 5-step, 7-step and play action blocks. And each of these blocks requires different footwork, different nuances, different attack points, different head positioning, different hand positioning, different posture, different leverage. I’m sure someone of lesser intelligence could just line right up and play, aren’t you?

And once you identify all of that, you still have to be able to react, keep your feet moving while staying in a fundamental base, reposition your body and attack the defense or fend off the defense, who, by the way, isn’t exactly standing there and saying “hey, block me! Block me!!!”. All within a matter of seconds.

So, it bothers me as a line coach to hear people say that they don’t want to play line, or they’re only playing line because they wanted to play football and it’s the only position they can play. Oh yeah? Says who? If you want to be a lineman, you have to earn it. You have to be tough. You have to be smart, you have to be damned athletic. You have to be a man. There is no room on a football field for a softie, but the line is the last place you’d look for one.

No, linemen generally won’t be in the newspaper. After all, they didn’t score that touchdown, or kick that field goal, or throw that touchdown pass. But I’ll tell you what, the next time you play a pick up football game, or whatever you do, in an 11 on 11 setting, go ahead and see if you can get the offensive line to sit out for a play. Let’s see how well the “skill” guys do without them on the field. Furthermore, take the “skill” guys off the field and see how the line does.

Football is the ultimate team sport, led by trench battles and pain and capped off by amazing catches, powerful runs and fantastic throws. Every player on that field is skilled, whether they receive glory for it or not.

My linemen know my creedo, and it’s pretty simple, straight forward and honest. I say it every single day:

Anticipate…

Devastate…

DOMINATE!

I expected more actual chalk in Chalk Talk. Work on this for next time ....

Did you see part 1 in the title? Alrighty then. Don't try to derail my rant, damnit. It's not appreciated! :ols:

(And there was actual chalk talk, PS. Just not completely :))

I was forced to play guard when I was younger because I was big or whatever, I wanted to play TE. But through middle school and the first two years of high school I grew to love it. I used to love when they called sweeps to my side. Crushing somebody on a pull block is almost the best feeling in the world...... almost. :ols:

Another beautiful example from KDawg on "How It Works", Slatemen's fair criticism (and dawg's reply) included. To me, building the O (ideally) in priority should go: linemen first, QB next, then wr's (in today's game), then TE's (in today's game), then RBs. Of course, in drafts or trades, we face the reality of most HC's and GM's taking the BPA much of the time. And one can only hope that the play-calling and scheme doesn't make any worthy personnel gains operate at less than optimum.

If the line can protect and block well, all the other can be more open to massage and tweaking to accommodate shortages in talent at the other positions than if the talent is there in the other positions but the line has issues with protection and blocking. It is much harder to tweak or adjust line weaknesses to accommodate the talent at the other positions. It's not simple (the lineman's job) but it is basic. You can only build a solid structure on a solid foundation.

I was an interesting case in highschool. My freshman year I came into school 6'2" and 260 pounds, and a little chubby but fit. The coach saw me and instantly stuck me on JV as a lineman. I remember that I didnt receive any position specific coaching for the entire year. All of the coaches just assumed that I already knew all of those techniques, but I had never played football before. They would just keep telling me to be more physical, so I got softball batter pads and started my blocks with an armbar to the face.

In the fourth game of the season I finally get to play, and I start armbaring my man in the face. By the end of the game I was injured and out for the rest of the season (probably not a coincidence). My injury put me in a position where it would be risky to play football again, so I stopped. The simple fact of the matter was that I learned more technique watching the games from the sideline than I did from actually playing.

I cant wait to actually talk some X's and O's with you KDawg, that should be really fun.

Slatemen's fair criticism (and dawg's reply) included.

I don't know if it was fair criticism... Seemed more to me like an impatient girlfriend demanding I get off the couch and stop watching the football game :ols:

I kid because I love, Slate.

To me, building the O (ideally) in priority should go: linemen first, QB next, then wr's (in today's game), then TE's (in today's game), then RBs. Of course, in drafts or trades, we face the reality of most HC's and GM's taking the BPA much of the time. And one can only hope that the play-calling and scheme doesn't make any worthy personnel gains operate at less than optimum.

I'm in general agreement here :)

---------- Post added October-27th-2011 at 11:29 AM ----------

I cant wait to actually talk some X's and O's with you KDawg, that should be really fun.

Look forward to it :)

I played QB. I dont think many QBs under estimate the importance of the O'Line and if they do they will not play for long.

I am far from an expert on O'Line play - what goes on in the trenches is a dark mystery to anyone who has not actually played there. People think first and foremost of size and strength when thinking about O'Lineman and in todays NFL both are certainly essential. However I think people underestimate the quickness and athletic ability needed to play O'Line at a high level in the NFL.

The NFL is largely a passing league - the 49ers have the lowest average passing attempts per game in the NFL (last time I looked about a week ago anyway) and they throw it about 28 times per game. That means pass protection is a key element of a linemans job. Think who they are blocking - the primary outside rushers will be 260/270 LB DE/OLBs who are explosive as heck with 4.7 or 4.8 40 times (20/30 years ago receivers would run that kind of time) and also be able to block inside pressure from 320 lb Tackles/NT's - thats even without thinking about sometimes having to kick outside to pick up a safety on a blitz.

Think about the quickness and foot work needed to stay with that kind of rusher and also have the strength and bulk to move some of the big inside guys and monster inside 'backers on running plays. Then of course you need the football intelligence to recognise fronts and know who to block against complex defensive alingments and shifts.

A good O'line will hide a multitude of problems at your skill positions and a bad O'line will make great skill players look very ordinary.

I don't know if it was fair criticism... Seemed more to me like an impatient girlfriend demanding I get off the couch and stop watching the football game :ols:

I kid because I love, Slate.

I'm in general agreement here :)

---------- Post added October-27th-2011 at 11:29 AM ----------

Look forward to it :)

Look, you promised chalk. I see none. White letters on black background is NOT chalk

Don't let me down man ... don't you dare let me down ...

...To me, building the O (ideally) in priority should go: linemen first, QB next, then wr's (in today's game), then TE's (in today's game), then RBs...
...I'm in general agreement here
Have to disagree here. A great O-line can make mediocre skill players look good. But, the sources of personnel in the NFL -- the draft, UDFA, FA -- don't allow teams to set priorities. They present opportunities which must be recognized and seized when they present themselves.

Good stuff here KDawg.

Have to disagree here. A great O-line can make mediocre skill players look good. But, the sources of personnel in the NFL -- the draft, UDFA, FA -- don't allow teams to set priorities. They present opportunities which must be recognized and seized when they present themselves.

I actually addressed/acknowledged that reality in my post, OF, and I wanted to point that out since, while you're a stubborn old coot, you rarely miss anything. :pfft:

I actually addressed/acknowledged that reality in my post, OF, and I wanted to point that out since, while you're a stubborn old coot, you rarely miss anything. :pfft:
On another reading, I see that you did cover that reality. Sorry about that.

I have been reading so much stupidity in this forum lately that I'm anticipating it. I had forgotten that you are one of the more intelligent posters. You sometimes get it right.:pfft:

Great first installment KDawg. Thanks for giving props to OL.

Another challenge facing OL is the need for good awareness. Its hard to describe but there's a radar you have to have so you can pick up an unexpected blitz or adjust to help out on someone else's missed assignment, etc. I don't recall doing drills to enhance this, but I know it was important and a few times saved the QB or RB from disaster. Is there anything specific you do with your OL to work on this?

I'd consider a good OL as one unit where substitutions lower the level of performance. This relates in part to the radar statement above, as over time you learn your linemates' strengths, weaknesses and preferences. I think that's why you don't see a whole lot of subbing on most OLs. What are your thoughts on this - am I mis-perceiving it? Is subbing not a big deal?

Oh yeah: TE - OL or not? :evilg:

For those who think that OL is not a glory position - there's nothnig more glorious than watching film and having the coach play and rewind repeatedly to point out how a hole you helped create was wider than a Mack truck, and the back just ran right through. :)

...For those who think that OL is not a glory position - there's nothnig more glorious than watching film and having the coach play and rewind repeatedly to point out how a hole you helped create was wider than a Mack truck, and the back just ran right through. :)
Now wait a minute! If we're talking about high school football, the glory goes to the guys who score touchdowns; and the girls go for the guys who score touchdowns; and if it isn't to get the girls and the glory, what's the point of playing football?:D

Now wait a minute! If we're talking about high school football, the glory goes to the guys who score touchdowns; and the girls go for the guys who score touchdowns; and if it isn't to get the girls and the glory, what's the point of playing football?:D

I dunno... Because I liked to hit and get hit on every single play? Hmmmm. Maybe it's that team thingy... :whoknows:

Another challenge facing OL is the need for good awareness. Its hard to describe but there's a radar you have to have so you can pick up an unexpected blitz or adjust to help out on someone else's missed assignment, etc. I don't recall doing drills to enhance this, but I know it was important and a few times saved the QB or RB from disaster. Is there anything specific you do with your OL to work on this?

There really isn't any drill persay. What we do is we make sure the scout team runs some exotic blitzes, even if the other team that we're preparing for doesn't run them. It helps the OL to stay on their toes and be ready for anything. But, if we see a tell in a linebacker on film, we show that film to the guys and see if they can pick up the tell on their own, and if not, we give it to them. As you go higher in level, the tells go away. But, scouting doesn't. If you know a team blitzes 85% of the time from a specific formation, then you know you can expect it. It's the "anticipation" part of my creedo :)

The simple answer to your question: If you keep your OL on their toes in practice, they'll be more on their toes in games :)

I'd consider a good OL as one unit where substitutions lower the level of performance. This relates in part to the radar statement above, as over time you learn your linemates' strengths, weaknesses and preferences. I think that's why you don't see a whole lot of subbing on most OLs. What are your thoughts on this - am I mis-perceiving it? Is subbing not a big deal?

I'm not a big sub guy. I usually keep the starters in, but I make sure the backups know that they are appreciated, necessary and important... because they are. Towards the end of practice, specifically team sessions, I slowly start subbing our OL out and plugging other guys in. Pretty much in the order that I'd like to put them in in game. I like the versatile lineman that knows most of the nuances for guard/tackle and some will be told they need to know center as well.

I remind my linemen every day how important they are, even if they're not seeing the field every day, or a lot. If a coach is genuine about that, they know that you care about them and accept their role. But they know to always prepare like they are going to be called upon in the game. And to their credit, they do. I have a great group of guys.

Oh yeah: TE - OL or not? :evilg:

I actually, for HS offenses, don't like using the TE. It makes our blocking assignments easier to execute. TEs don't spend full time with the linemen, so they're no where near as proficient blockers, and since we don't have a TE coach they don't get blocking and footwork stuff done unless they're with us. With 5 linemen, you can tell the backs their responsibility and our line can do the rest. Now, if I was coaching college or the NFL, I'd love TEs. If I had a TE coach, I'd make sure they taught the TEs how to block like the OL learns to block. But part of their time would also be devoted to TE specific routes. But, on a whole, to answer your question: Yes. OL.

For those who think that OL is not a glory position - there's nothnig more glorious than watching film and having the coach play and rewind repeatedly to point out how a hole you helped create was wider than a Mack truck, and the back just ran right through. :)

But to a lot of people, that isn't glory. Your name isn't in lights. My guess is you were a lineman, though, because that's how linemen think. There is absolutely glory in opening a hole, but not public glory.

It's the "anticipation" part of my creedo :)

The simple answer to your question: If you keep your OL on their toes in practice, they'll be more on their toes in games :)

This explains an awful lot about my coaches... And I like your credo too. Good stuff.

I actually, for HS offenses, don't like using the TE. It makes our blocking assignments easier to execute. TEs don't spend full time with the linemen, so they're no where near as proficient blockers, and since we don't have a TE coach they don't get blocking and footwork stuff done unless they're with us. With 5 linemen, you can tell the backs their responsibility and our line can do the rest. Now, if I was coaching college or the NFL, I'd love TEs. If I had a TE coach, I'd make sure they taught the TEs how to block like the OL learns to block. But part of their time would also be devoted to TE specific routes. But, on a whole, to answer your question: Yes. OL.

In HS our TEs were part of the line, and split time between blocking drills with OL and route work with receivers and backs. In college they had the same split, only with their own coach instead of between line and receivers coaches.

I still have a hard time thinking of them as full-on OL though... :pfft:

Just another thought - have you ever seen plays run from standard formations where TEs pull? Just curious. I've never seen that but I haven't coached so my exposure to different plays is limited.

But to a lot of people, that isn't glory. Your name isn't in lights. My guess is you were a lineman, though, because that's how linemen think. There is absolutely glory in opening a hole, but not public glory.

Yep - C and T. My HS yearbook future occupation: #50 Washington Redskins. :silly:

Just another thought - have you ever seen plays run from standard formations where TEs pull? Just curious. I've never seen that but I haven't coached so my exposure to different plays is limited.

Depends. I've seen teams run them across formations to try and get a defender to go with them, or confuse coverage assignments. There's a ton of stuff you can do in football, and, the rule book is your only hindrance. I play around with crazy stuff all the time. When I was a coordinator (I'm just the OL/DL coach right now) at JV and Modified I ran plays at the end of practice for fun with the kids, after all our real work was done. If it worked, I wrote it down and would come back to it. If it didn't, we went back to the drawing board. Your mind and the rulebook is the limitation in football, just be creative and see what works and what doesn't :)

Here's an idea I just thought of: Use the TE as a wham type blocker. Have the G/T block out, pull the TE to the 1 hole to knock out any defenders sitting in the gap and run the ball off his butt. It would take a second to develop, in order to get the TE down there. But it would be fun to see how it worked. Especially if you're facing a team that lines their DTs head up on the guards. Have the guard ignore him and go to linebacker and then bust that guy in the mouth with a pulling TE :)

Archived