Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look:John Beck vs Panthers

darrelgreenie

If Beck finishes he rest of the season, W/L aside. If beck has a QB rating of say 85ish, and a completion percentage around 62%. What would you all think? Move forward with him at QB or still draft a QB in the first.

I am not sure how big of an if those numbers are because he hasn't played much.

The Redskins are going to draft a QB in the first round. Period.

If Beck finishes he rest of the season, W/L aside. If beck has a QB rating of say 85ish, and a completion percentage around 62%. What would you all think? Move forward with him at QB or still draft a QB in the first.

No matter what happens or who plays- Rex, Beck, etc, and regardless if they play flawlessly, we should still draft a QB.

I'm a big supporter of Rex, but all things considered, I though Beck played well. Now that he's gotten some more time in a real game I think he'll get better too.

It could be an outlier, of course, but we definitely need a few more games to determine that he's not the near future at QB.

Also, we need to get Niles Paul and Logan Paulsen more reps. I like what I see from them.

All are welcome with the expectation that specific plays will be discussed whenever possible.

First Quarter (Score 0-0)

0:00 - Accurate ball on time to open receiver on intermediate route

0:37 - Inaccurate ball to double-covered receiver on intermediate route (hits defender in hands)

0:47 - Tipped ball to open receiver in the flat

0:54 - Sacked from behind,hit at the back of throwing motion, fumble

Second Quarter (Score 0-3)

1:22 - Bootleg keeper for positive yards

1:39 - Tipped ball to potentially open receiver on slant route near endzone

1:49 - Incomplete to outside shoulder of covered receiver at sideline (Gaffney complains to ref of possible hold/interference)

1:58 - Slides in pocket, accurate ball to open receiver on intermediate route

2:34 - Bootleg, defender in his face as he turns, intentional grounding

3:07 - Steps up in pocket, low pass completed to receiver on short route (no YAC)

3:20 - Accurate ball to receiver on long stop route, dropped

3:33 - Accurate ball to receiver on short route over the middle, completed and fumbled (Davis open on the out route to the near sideline)

Third Quarter (Score 6-9)

4:24 - Play action accurate ball on time to receiver on deep route over the middle

4:39 - Slides in pocket, accurate throw to receiver being held on short route (no penalty called)

4:48 - Shotgun, pressure up the middle, sacked

5:22 - Bootleg, accurate ball in stride to receiver on intermediate route

5:52 - Bootleg, accurate ball in stride to receiver on intermediate route

6:23 - Play action, quick turn and accurate ball in stride to receiver on short route just behind linebackers

6:35 - Accurate ball to receiver on intermediate route to sideline

6:45 - Flushed from pocket, scrambles left for TD

7:49 - Play action, inaccurate to receiver on intermediate route

7:55 - Bootleg, accurate ball in stride to receiver on intermediate route, dropped

8:02 - Accurate ball to receiver on sideline short of first down (no other obviously open receivers)

Fourth Quarter (Score 13-30)

8:16 - Bootleg, defender closing in, ball tipped by defender, intended receiver undetermined

8:27 - Low but accurate ball to receiver on intermediate route between two defenders, no YAC

8:37 - Blitz from left side, accurate ball in stride to receiver on slant route on left side

9:09 - Accurate ball to receiver on intermediate route near sideline

9:20 - Accurate ball to receiver on intermediate route near sideline

9:33 - 6-man blitz (no offsides penalty called even though at least two defender were in neutral zone at snap), inaccurate ball to receiver on short route over the middle with room to run, hits defender in the hands, incomplete

9:45 - Inaccurate throw to receiver on sideline route (caught, but thrown too far out of bounds)

9:56 - Blitz, accurate throw to receiver on out route to the first down marker

10:12 - Low but accurate throw to receiver in the middle for TD

11:05 - Accurate throw to receiver on intermediate route in middle of the field between three defenders

11:16 - High ball thrown to receiver on short route (looks like defender is over the back, no penalty called)

11:25 - Long sideline stop route thrown, receiver runs go route, corner reacts to ball thrown, interception, safety help comes over the top but probably too late to stop a pass on the go route - not sure how well the corner would have stayed with receiver had the ball been thrown to the go route

11:59 - Draws two defenders offsides, delivers the ball just before getting hit by one of the offside defenders who is not picked up by either the tackle or the back, accurate short ball completed to receiver

12:17 - Accurate ball to receiver on short route, dropped

12:26 - 3-man rush, tackle can't handle spin move, Beck looks for dump off, tucks ball, sack

12:39 - 4th down, delivers the ball just before getting hit, accurate ball to receiver in middle of field, short of first down marker

Final Score - 20-33

No matter how Beck performs over the rest of the year, we need to be looking at QB in round 1.

From watching that (and I was at the game) clearly Jamal Brown is terrible.

Been noticing that ALL year. Grossman wouldn't have played nearly as bad either if it wasn't for that scrub. He really sucks and gets schooled at least 1/3 of passing downs maybe even more.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 03:44 PM ----------

I know one thing, I'm sure as hell not going to judge his play based upon QB rating or completion percentage.

Nope, but if he's even pretty good then just imagine how good he'd be if all the starters were playing and we had a great #1 receiver on the team.

I looked through the thread and didn't see anyone bring this up, but on this play:

6:45 - Flushed from pocket, scrambles left for TD

After he spikes the ball, is he yelling at J Brown to psyche him up, or is he pissed off that Brown got beat and forced Beck's hand? Any guesses?

I looked through the thread and didn't see anyone bring this up, but on this play:

After he spikes the ball, is he yelling at J Brown to psyche him up, or is he pissed off that Brown got beat and forced Beck's hand? Any guesses?

To psych him up with out a doubt. It's a three step drop looking to the right, Jamaal does a good job cut blocking to open up the throwing lane. Unfortunately, all receivers are still covered, so Beck was forced to make a play and that he did.

We are taking one in the first regardless but if 12 finshes in that range he will keep the seat warm for a few games in 12.

The Shanahans are very particular in what they look for in their quarterbacks. Going into this draft they're probably a couple of guys they are keying on. With Luck probably out of the picture, I wonder who it will be. I think ( or more want it to be) Tannenhill or Moore. Tannenhill seems a lot like a Cutler clone. And Moore is this years version of John Beck of 2007. They've put up comparable numbers. However, Moore's number have been better. Remember they had Beck rated number one quarterback in that class of Quinn, Russell and Cobb. He might turn out to be the best of all of them. Not necessarily saying much. None have been impressive. I have a good feeling about Beck. I think by the end of the year, he's going to be playing at a high level that will take the immediate need to reach for a quarterback in the first round if Luck and Tannenhill are off the board.

Barkley and Jones seem decent, but not special.

The Panthers start a 7th round draft pick at corner. It's the Panthers. So much judgment over one game. Bottom line: Skins lost to a bad team and the score could have easily been worse if not for all of their penalties.

Panthers aren't bad. It's long season. Detroit all the sudden looking vincible. Kansas terrible early, getting it together. Like Aaron Rodgers said, you don't want to play the panthers later. "When that kid starts to get it, they're going to be a chore." Panthers are turning the corner. Look, dealing with Vick and then combing back and dealing with Newton is a chore. We rush the passer well. The next two weeks we have quarterbacks that we don't have to worry about running.

Thanks for posting that vid up. Watching the replay, Beck looked better than I remembered. Pretty accurate on his throws, quick release, "zip" on the ball, ability to step out of the pocket and throw accurately... there was definitely some good QB play in there. I can see why the Shannys see so much upside. However, there were also 2-3 plays where he completely overlooked wide open receivers, 1-2 throws where he could have had better ball placement, and 2-3 balls that should have been or were intercepted. Overall, I'd grade this game a B for him. He looks like he's got the potential to be a good or even great QB, but he could of course regress as well. Only time will tell how good he will be, but I thought this was a decent game for him. Based on what I've seen of his upside (this game and parts of the preseason). I say we grant him an extended look and finish out the season as QB before deciding what to do in the draft.

Summary of earlier breakdown:

Short: 9 completions, 16 attempts, 1 touchdown, 0 interceptions, 1 drop

Intermediate: 10 completions,14 attempts, 0 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, 1 drop

Long: 1 completion, 3 attempts, 0 touchdowns, 1 interception, 1 drop

I considered a short pass to be anything that reaches the receiver less than 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Intermediate were between 10 and 20 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Long passes were 20+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Accurate passes: 23; Drops: 3

Inaccurate passes: 7; Passes that were or could have been intercepted: 3

Passes tipped at line of scrimmage: 3

Passes that should have gone to a different receiver: at least 2

No matter how Beck performs over the rest of the year, we need to be looking at QB in round 1.
IMO, no matter how Beck performs, we should only take a QB at number one if he's the BPA. Drafting for need, and reaching to fill it, is dumb regardless of the position.

Archived