Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look:John Beck vs Panthers

darrelgreenie

The 2011 Redskins started a new QB last weekend.

The aim of this series of threads is to conduct a layman's evaluation and discussion of John Beck by look past the stats and the often parroted rhetoric available through media.

The goal is to look in depth and discuss John Beck in action.

The springboard for the discussion will be the youtube cut-up from the Panthers game.

*Please do not post the link anywhere else.

All are welcome with the expectation that specific plays will be discussed whenever possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwbN0rc3Zdw

http://sonofwashington.com/draft-profiles-and-articles/darrelgreenie/

.....There were other mistakes. A couple missed hot reads, a couple of throws off the backfoot, a couple of off target passes. There were also strecthes of plays where Beck was clearly in rhythm. In the second half some young receivers stepped up and made an impact. The second drive of the 2nd half Beck heated up and connected on string of PA passes(post, crossing routes) to theTEs. Logan Paulsen not only caught the ball well but he moves better then expected for a blocking TE. He showed surprising speed and open field running ability, he even juked somebody. Niles Paul flashed good concentration making a diving catch on a square in and an acrobatic sideline catch on a corner route. Austin carried over the connection with Beck from the Eagles game and from preseason. Despite Moss going down with an injury in the first quarter, Hightower going out early in the second half and Erik Cook a second year rookie making his first start; I got the feeling that Beck, Kyle and the offense as a unit are only going to get better.

I thought Beck played pretty well in the 2nd half, but some play calling and drops killed him. The 4th down was beaten to death, not going to go over it.

3rd Skins Drive (score 23 - 13) @ 8 mins: Pass to AA (high and fast, but catchable), next play perfect bootleg pass to FD, with YAC available, killer drop.

Next play its hard to tell if TA was the only available option here, but a sideline pass on 3rd and 10 isn't gonna work.

End Result 3 and out, defense back on the field after giving up 2 TD drives in a row.

A lot of our problems stem from awful pass blocking. On that last throw for the INT it looks like a major mistake by either Beck or whichever WR that was (looked like Austin or Paul...?)

Beck made some really stupid decisions with the football, and could have had at least 2 more interceptions than he did, if not 3 more.

I like how Beck throws the ball more than Grossman, he seems to have a quicker release or stronger arm. I like Beck's speed compared to Grossman. I dislike the fact that our choice is between these two players.

man looking at this again the one play that stands out for me is the drop of Gaffney before the play where he fumbled. he makes that catch and we are at the Carolina 35 yard line with 32 seconds to go and I believe two time outs. That play right there is a 6 point swing at least. HUGE HUGE play.

I thought Beck played pretty well in the 2nd half, but some play calling and drops killed him. The 4th down was beaten to death, not going to go over it.

3rd Skins Drive (score 23 - 13) @ 8 mins: Pass to AA (high and fast, but catchable), next play perfect bootleg pass to FD, with YAC available, killer drop.

Next play its hard to tell if TA was the only available option here, but a sideline pass on 3rd and 10 isn't gonna work.

End Result 3 and out, defense back on the field after giving up 2 TD drives in a row.

Wait a min. are we talking about Grossman or Beck? Sounds so similar. Oh well. It looked just as similar as well. Not much difference. We definitly need a QB nex year.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 01:59 PM ----------

A lot of our problems stem from awful pass blocking. On that last throw for the INT it looks like a major mistake by either Beck or whichever WR that was (looked like Austin or Paul...?)

Beck made some really stupid decisions with the football, and could have had at least 2 more interceptions than he did, if not 3 more.

I like how Beck throws the ball more than Grossman, he seems to have a quicker release or stronger arm. I like Beck's speed compared to Grossman. I dislike the fact that our choice is between these two players.

The pass was supposed to go to Hankerson. Beck thought he'd turn out and threw it there, instead Hankerson turned up field to make it a go route. Because we don't know who's at fault.... I blame both. Bad decision by Beck, bad route by Hankerson.

Originally Beck eluded to it being Hankersons fault by saying he did nothing wrong. Then Hankerson speaks to the media and says he did nothing wrong because no one knows what was said in the huddle. Then Beck came out and said it was all his fault. Then M.Shanahan came out and said it was not Becks fault on the play. So someone "IS" at fault but no one want to point them out. So .... it's everyones fault.

I could make a case for 5 more balls of his being completed......

Certainly 3 were blatantly dropped. If those were caught, he would have had like a 67% completion rate.

1 Rushing TD, fumble, pick and a throwing TD. With half your weapons out and a crappy line...... not bad at all for your 5th career start.

I certainly think he is capable of being a nice QB. Especially watching this replay.

Trade back in the draft and draft a bunch of O-lineman, and sign Dwayne Bowe..... I could live with beck at QB if we did that

Poor blocking upfront. The O line performed how we suspected this game based upon injury. He does not seem to have a lot of time but I like how he slides out of the pocket and adjusts. He could easily have dumped a few off for garbage yards but he took a few chances. Cannot get over the drops in the 3rd quarter. Beck is really not that bad when I look at this in perspective. But he is not great either. INT's in this league, specifically in our division? How about all the ones Romo sits to pee, Manning, and Vick have tossed this year? The INT on the pass to Hankerson really was a poor decision or a mix up in communication cause Hankerson kept running the route. But since Beck went out of his way on Monday to say it was his fault I will take his word for it and say it was horrible throw looking a bit Grossman like.

My only concern is that he seems to throw at the feet of some receivers so they have to come back for the ball. I do not think his arm is as weak as thought initially though so that is strange. Maybe he does not have time to set and throw? I don't know. Again a lot of drops that could have made the score a lot closer.

I supect we will get more points out of Beck then we did Grossman. I think we will get less INT's too.

I am looking forward to the Bill's game actually.

lets face it, with Beck in there the entire offense looks faster. hell think about it if Beck is in playing in the Boys game no way Spenser catches him from behind for a fumble. yes he has a couple of balls batted down but that comes from not playing many NFL games. he will adjust. Again the WRs drops (and the fumble by Gaffney) were probably a major factor we lost this game.

remember the Rams game? We all know deep down if the Rams WRs don't drop the ball on 3 or 4 critical plays they probably come back to at least tie if not win. No one in here said Bradford sucked and Bradford has a lot more NFL game starts than Beck. Let the guy play a few more games before we close the book on him.

man looking at this again the one play that stands out for me is the drop of Gaffney before the play where he fumbled. he makes that catch and we are at the Carolina 35 yard line with 32 seconds to go and I believe two time outs. That play right there is a 6 point swing at least. HUGE HUGE play.

Couldn't agree more

He has been thrown into a position to fail. And he has not failed. This game the defense obviously failed.

Most skins fans dont know a solid QB when they see it. Beck has done the most with what he is given. Cant wait to see Hank and Paul become a bigger part of this offense.

God damn Gaffney needed to make that catch at 3:31. Beautiful throw.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 02:41 PM ----------

His best series of throws/plays was without a doubt between 5:30 and 6:54.

A couple of great throws on the run, and three passes in a row off of roll-outs/boot-legs. Not a coincidence.

Then a couple of shorter throws to get into the RZ, and a great run for a TD.

I don't know why so many have watched Beck start ONE game and already determined he's not the answer. Like Parcells used to say you think you can just dial 1-800-Quarterback and just have a franchise guy show up. Let's see what Beck does the rest of this season. If they want to find that franchise guy after the season make sure he's just not some stiff like Flacco and Sanchez posing as a Franchise QB that we just draft for the sake of saying we drafted a QB.

IMO, that was the turning point of the game.

I don't know why so many have watched Beck start ONE game and already determined he's not the answer. Like Parcells used to say you think you can just dial 1-800-Quarterback and just have a franchise guy show up. Let's see what Beck does the rest of this season. If they want to find that franchise guy after the season make sure he's just not some stiff like Flacco and Sanchez posing as a Franchise QB that we just draft for the sake of saying we drafted a QB.

Well said dude. I have the feeling the Jaguars are going to be saying why the hell did we move up. Think about this for a minute. Beck was a 2nd rounder, played for a horrid team and then some of the fans in here have come to the conclusion because Miami and Ravens didn't pen him in as their QB he is useless. Excuse me but both of those teams have not shown any one of us that they can actually evaluate QBs. Maybe just maybe they didn't know what they had in Beck. Like I said, this guy needs the rest of the season so show what he can do. At least we will not be wondering.

---------- Post added October-26th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

IMO, that was the turning point of the game.

yeap. And that is the difference what Carolina did to us with Steve Smith catching the football. Yes Cam is very promising but he has a receiver in Steve Smith that will not drop almost sure balls.

Well said dude. I have the feeling the Jaguars are going to be saying why the hell did we move up. Think about this for a minute. Beck was a 2nd rounder, played for a horrid team and then some of the fans in here have come to the conclusion because Miami and Ravens didn't pen him in as their QB he is useless. Excuse me but both of those teams have not shown any one of us that they can actually evaluate QBs. Maybe just maybe they didn't know what they had in Beck. Like I said, this guy needs the rest of the season so show what he can do. At least we will not be wondering.

The Jaguars, Titans, and Vikings will be wondering why they reached for QB's in the 1st round that weren't any better than Andy Dalton who was drafted in the 2nd round. Cam was the only true Franchise level talent in the 2011 draft and Bradford was the only guy in 2010. The Skins have had no chance to get a true Franchise talent in the draft since Shanny has been in control so what was the point drafting a Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Clausen, or Mccoy who I don't think have anymore upside than Beck did coming outta college.

I think Beck looked pretty good. He got back in his drops quickly and made quick reads. A couple of drops really hurt. I would say our receiver play was more a cause for the bad performance on offense. Again, he didnt light it up, but i think he showed that he can play a little bit. He may not be a hall of fame player or even a pro bowl player, but you cant deny that he was making quick decisions and overall making pretty decent throws. Drops and bad receiver play really hurt him today. I am not annointing him the next coming, but he definetly deserves a long look because i think his performance in this game was promising.

And why can't he have a similar success story as Ryan Ftizpatrick? Fitz was a backup for the Rams for a couple years, then went to the Bengals with little success, and now he is 28, in his 7th season and playing at a borderline all-pro level. I still say the jury is out on John Beck.

I also like what you said about Flacco and Sanchez. I give Shanahan props for not reaching for a QB this draft, when he obviously didn't feel comfortable drafting a QB, just to draft a QB. It's gotta be the right fit.

In the context of this thread the WT break down of the offense from watching the film is worth a read. Link below and comments on Beck.

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/25/film-review-offense/

From my eyes Beck played well. He started a bit shaky, perhaps a bit tight and because we ran the ball a lot he did not have much chance to get in a rythym. In the second half when we took the training wheels off he played well - he was accurate, threw on time and showed a good pocket presence. His additional mobility over Grossman was obvious and lead directly to additional points.

The first TD which Beck ran in would have been a sack or throw away from Rex and a FG. Becks mobility allowed him to get away from the rush and pick up the TD with his legs. No way Rex can make that play.

On specific throws I liked the zip he showed on the first play of the second half which was a play action throw that went for a 30 yard completion to Gaffney. Also in the first half he made a really nice throw on time for 18 yards on 3rd and 9 where he zipped a really nice throw into Gaffney for a first down over the middle. He showed plenty of arm, good mobility and accuracy - that's something to work with and build on.

If Beck finishes he rest of the season, W/L aside. If beck has a QB rating of say 85ish, and a completion percentage around 62%. What would you all think? Move forward with him at QB or still draft a QB in the first.

I am not sure how big of an if those numbers are because he hasn't played much.

If Beck finishes he rest of the season, W/L aside. If beck has a QB rating of say 85ish, and a completion percentage around 62%. What would you all think? Move forward with him at QB or still draft a QB in the first.

I am not sure how big of an if those numbers are because he hasn't played much.

I know one thing, I'm sure as hell not going to judge his play based upon QB rating or completion percentage.

Archived