Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Redskins Fans ran the NFL

John Lydon

Recently, I’ve been seeing all the different threads about trading this guy or cutting that guy pop up like weeds on the board. This got me to thinking, what if NFL owners took advice from fans. And not just any fans, some of the most passionate, jaded, and win hungry fans in the world…. Redskins fans. For my own amusement, I put together a few alternate reality scenarios based on what the NFL landscape would look like if Redskins fans ruled the League. I have done a few of these now and thought I would share one just for some amusement. If it goes over well, I may try putting another one up.

Scenario #1 – The 1985 San Francisco 49ers

The 49ers, fresh off a super bowl win in 1984, were anything but a rebuilding project. They simply needed to reload. The glaring hole, if there were one, is to replace the aging Freddie Solomon at WR. Opting to pass on a relative unknown receiver from a weak Mississippi Valley State team, the 49ers forego Jerry Rice and instead trade their #16 overall pick in the draft and 2nd round pick in the 1986 draft to the New York Jets for the #10 overall pick in the draft. The 49ers then select the sure fire, can’t miss receiver out of Wisconsin, Al Toon. Meanwhile, the Jets opt to roll the dice on young Jerry Rice.

Combining Rice with the big armed gun slinger Ken O’Brien and the powerful Jets rushing attack powered by Pro Bowler Freeman McNeil proves to be a winning combination for the Jets. They easily defeat opponents, not only by putting up big numbers on offense, but by smothering them with one of the all time great defenses led by Mark Gastineau. The Jets go on to win 3 super bowls in the next five years, cementing themselves as the team of the 80’s.

Meanwhile, San Francisco, struggles to get out of the first round of the playoffs year in and year out. Al Toon proves to be a sure handed receiver, but lacks that big play ability, and more importantly, fails to mesh with aging quarterback Joe Montana. The 49ers are consistently crowned division champs, only to lay an egg in the playoffs. Frustrated by being on the cusp year after year and unable to cash in, the ownership decides to make a switch in 1988 and go with backup QB Steve Young. Montana is relegated to clipboard duty until he retires in 1990. Struggling through the 88 season, Steve Young is put on notice. Unable to find a “go to” receiver that every young Quarterback desperately needs, Young’s second year as starter is abysmal. He is benched mid way through the year with a 2-7 record. The ownership turns the reigns over to relative unknown Steve Bono to see what he can accomplish. Steve Young is traded off, where he struggles as a starter, eventually to end up as a career backup.

I'm assuming this is a veiled "Andrew Luck" scenario (can't-miss vs. unknown guy).

Isn't the easy counterpoint to this that the Colts correctly fell for the Manning hype and left Leaf to the Chargers?

See, now you come to mention it, I'd give the Rams and Cardinals their 2011 victory's back (not the Giants, because, well, it's the Giants); create a special 2 for 1 pity win that only the Colts and Dolphins can claim; and exempt the Redskins from the rest of their schedule because, well, I'm in charge now. Where the Redskins. And we'll do as we want. :evilg:

And the cunning part in all this is we take Luck unopposed at 1 and go on to dominate the 2010's and beyond.

Genius. :D

Hail.

I'm assuming this is a veiled "Andrew Luck" scenario (can't-miss vs. unknown guy).

Isn't the easy counterpoint to this that the Colts correctly fell for the Manning hype and left Leaf to the Chargers?

Interesting that you should mention Mr. Manning. I have a scenario about him too.

Al Toon suffered enough concussions for all of us. Which doesn't sound like a bad idea right about now.

BTW, in your scenario, is "Steve Young" code for "John Beck"?

Never Really thought of it exactly like that but it does kind of line up.

See, now you come to mention it, I'd give the Rams and Cardinals their 2011 victory's back (not the Giants, because, well, it's the Giants); create a special 2 for 1 pity win that only the Colts and Dolphins can claim; and exempt the Redskins from the rest of their schedule because, well, I'm in charge now. Where the Redskins. And we'll do as we want. :evilg:

And the cunning part in all this is we take Luck unopposed at 1 and go on to dominate the 2010's and beyond.

Genius. :D

Hail.

What??

So, if you could make any rules, you'd have us go 1-15? Why not just let us play out the year and hold a rigged lottery for the #1 pick? YOU MAKE THE RULES!

We win the Super Bowl (with Aaron Rodgers this year) and get the #1 pick...simple. Or, just allow us to sign Luck as a FA and still have our #1 pick to add more talent.

Al Toon may have thrived in the WCO with Montana. He was a big bodied receiver.

He was a great possesion receiver I'll give you that. I just didn't see him having the speed or the route running ability to make the kind of impact Rice did in that system. But it's all just fun speculation. So your opinion is just as good as mine.

Ironically if jhe had shown up to a meeting with the colts on time and answered on question properly the colts most likely would have drafted him

He showed up like half an hour late to a meeting and when asked what he would do if the colts signed him as a first round draft pick what would he do his answer was go to vegas and party.

Manning was early and answered teh same question with study the playbook

If Redskins fans ran the NFL....

Scenario #2. Dan Snyder buys his favorite team for $800,000,000.00 in 1999 and becomes the leagues youngest owner. From there he plays the ultimate style of fantasy football, like an amateur chess player only looking at the move, never looking a few moves ahead and never see's the whole picture. He becomes like many on here, fire him, hire him, fire him, hire him, except with the money to actually do it. 10 years of darkness cascades over FedEx field. The stadium has a larger influx of opposing fans, as once proud season ticket holders are giving up their dearest seats due to the plague that has reached their wallets with ever inflating prices, and the abhorrent product on the field. After 10 years Dan finally sees the error in his ways and the shame he caused on this proud franchise and fires his jester. He hires a true leader and a real coach. And now they have the job of salvaging 10 years of mishandling. Best of luck to our saviors Allen and Shanahan.

Am I missing something, wasn't Al Toon good?

Jerry Rice needed Joe Montana and Steve Young to throw him passes.

The argument is really could Jerry Rice have been as good if on a bad team, probably not.

The 49ers would have been great yes or yes because they were a great organization, greater than even the singular talent that was Jerry Rice.

Btw, Al Toon would be miles, and I mean country miles better than any guy on the Redskins in the past 20 years.

If Redskins fans ran the NFL....

Scenario #2. Dan Snyder buys his favorite team for $800,000,000.00 in 1999 and becomes the leagues youngest owner. From there he plays the ultimate style of fantasy football, like an amateur chess player only looking at the move, never looking a few moves ahead and never see's the whole picture. He becomes like many on here, fire him, hire him, fire him, hire him, except with the money to actually do it. 10 years of darkness cascades over FedEx field. The stadium has a larger influx of opposing fans, as once proud season ticket holders are giving up their dearest seats due to the plague that has reached their wallets with ever inflating prices, and the abhorrent product on the field. After 10 years Dan finally sees the error in his ways and the shame he caused on this proud franchise and fires his jester. He hires a true leader and a real coach. And now they have the job of salvaging 10 years of mishandling. Best of luck to our saviors Allen and Shanahan.

Yes, you pretty much summed it up. We have an example of what happens when a Redskin fan buys an NFL team. If you run it like a fan and not like a football team, this is what you get. Although, I did find the opening scenario quite intriguing.

Archived