Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ok people Let's come down, and think rationally.

Skins199021

What has Helu done to make you excited about the future?

(Are you serious about John Beck?)

Helu hasn't had to do anything yet. He's six games into his career in a third string rookie role.

I'm not expecting much yet. He hasn't been given much opportunity.

But Helu has shown that cutback ability, he has shown that he can gain yards in chunks.

I'd like to see what he can do with 25 carries in a game. I bet it looks pretty good.

~Bang

Orakpo, MacIntosh, Williams, Davis, Landry, Bowen, Josh Wilson, Jenkins, Helu, Paul, and Austin.

I like what each one of them bring, and they're all either young or entering their prime.

Gano is turning into Mr Automatic.. I would have liked to see him kick the 49 yarder instead of going for it.

~Bang

What have you seen from Helu, Paul, and Austin?

What have you seen from Helu, Paul, and Austin?

Again, I have seen that they are young players with some potential.

It is very early in their career. I am excited to see what they can do as they progress.

i am not expecting Jerry rice to be falling out of the trees.

This was our first real draft of the rebuild. It's going to take a few more.

~Bang

Helu hasn't had to do anything yet. He's six games into his career in a third string rookie role.

I'm not expecting much yet. He hasn't been given much opportunity.

But Helu has shown that cutback ability, he has shown that he can gain yards in chunks.

I'd like to see what he can do with 25 carries in a game. I bet it looks pretty good.

~Bang

But why is he the 3rd string running back that can't get on the field on a regular basis despite the fact that the 2 guys in front of him have injury issues and probably aren't part of the long term plan?

Sounds a lot like Devin Thomas to me.

**EDIT**

Look, I don't want to be overly negative, and I can see if you want to be a glass half full guy to follow that line of thinking. On the other hand, I don't SEE a lot of evidence of improvement.

Is there potential there? Sure, but it isn't like in other years, if I'd ask the same question people wouldn't have given similar answers about guys that we essentially have seen nothing from.

If you think Helu is your future, then at some point in time you need to put him out there and let him play. A rookie 3rd round RB went for over 200 yards for Dallas today.

But why is he the 3rd string running back that can't get on the field on a regular basis despite the fact that the 2 guys in front of him have injury issues and probably aren't part of the long term plan?

**EDIT**

Look, I don't want to be overly negative, and I can see if you want to be a glass half full guy to follow that line of thinking. On the other hand, I don't SEE a lot of evidence of improvement.

Is there potential there? Sure, but it isn't like in other years, if I'd ask the same question people wouldn't have given similar answers about guys that we essentially have seen nothing from.

You can only do so much in the amount of time that has passed.

If there were any way to adequately fix alllll of the needs on this team in two offseasons, I'd tend to be pessimistic.

But there wasn't. It simply takes time.

~Bang

**EDIT**

If you think Helu is your future, then at some point in time you need to put him out there and let him play. A rookie 3rd round RB went for over 200 yards for Dallas today.

What you guys fail to realize is these rookies didn't really have a camp to get ready for. They most likely are still learning the playbook while preparing for the next opponent all at the same time. Some plays they run in practice are unknown probably. That is why some rookies in the NFL are just now starting to prosper and take Murray for instance. He got his "shot" when Felix went down and look at him? Jones will never be the starter again.

I like Helu's speed, and his cutting ability and given the opportunity he could do very well. Hopefully this weekend is that opportunity.

You can only do so much in the amount of time that has passed.

If there were any way to adequately fix alllll of the needs on this team in two offseasons, I'd tend to be pessimistic.

But there wasn't. It simply takes time.

~Bang

I agree it takes time, but your claiming there has been progress. If having Helu on the roster is progress, then I'm left wondering how that progress is different than when the likes of Thomas, Kelly, Moore, and Horton were the future.

If there's any chance that Helu can actually be the future, he should be on the field a lot more (and that goes for Austin, Paul, etc.)

Progress isn't necessarily being seen on he offensive side because the QB is bad and the OL is wrecked.

We spent this offseason clearly working to bring the worst defense we've had in years up to snuff.

Thomas, Kelly, Moore and Horton were chosen by an inferior FO without the slightest idea of what it was doing. I don't think that is in dispute, either.

Dallas' rookie boy would not have shown what he had if not for an injury to Jones.

And with Hightower out, we'll see more Helu.

As with Moss out we'll see more Austin and Paul.

~Bang

Progress isn't necessarily being seen on he offensive side because the QB is bad and the OL is wrecked.

We spent this offseason clearly working to bring the worst defense we've had in years up to snuff.

Thomas, Kelly, Moore and Horton were chosen by an inferior FO without the slightest idea of what it was doing. I don't think that is in dispute, either.

Dallas' rookie boy would not have shown what he had if not for an injury to Jones.

And with Hightower out, we'll see more Helu.

As with Moss out we'll see more Austin and Paul.

~Bang

And the defense has only improved in the context of it was forced to take a huge step backwards by the changes last year.

And yes you are right about the kid in Dallas, but as you've pointed out the other teams in the NFC East are in a different position than us. WE should be running the kids out there (and I'll point out he was the 2nd string in Dallas). Instead, for the most part, we've buried them as if our coaches believe we are in a similar position as Dallas.

McNabb?

Grossman?

Beck?

Except for Williams all of the guys that you named that are actually really contributing were drafted by that inferior FO.

I agree it takes time, but your claiming there has been progress. If having Helu on the roster is progress, then I'm left wondering how that progress is different than when the likes of Thomas, Kelly, Moore, and Horton were the future.

If there's any chance that Helu can actually be the future, he should be on the field a lot more (and that goes for Austin, Paul, etc.)

Why? If we aren't competing for the Super Bowl, or even the playoffs, this year then why waste his legs this year? Get him reps, get him on the field, but keep his mileage down. Use up Torain as much as possible in a rebuilding year. Not the guy who could be a difference-maker. RB is a position very much dependent upon usage. Why waste him now if the coaches like what they've got, and Torain and Hightower (pre-injury) can get the job done? He's still learning.

Why? If we aren't competing for the Super Bowl, or even the playoffs, this year then why waste his legs this year? Get him reps, get him on the field, but keep his mileage down. Use up Torain as much as possible in a rebuilding year. Not the guy who could be a difference-maker. RB is a position very much dependent upon usage. Why waste him now if the coaches like what they've got, and Torain and Hightower (pre-injury) can get the job done? He's still learning.

Because it is generally considered useful to play people so you can figure out if they actually can play.

Heck, you want to make that argument, then I'd sit Williams down for the year. He's already got a couple of years of wear and tear, and you know what you have in him. Just go ahead and IR him now.

(Seriously, if I were the Colts, I'd be resting a lot of people. Hamstrings a little sore, your out for this game.)

As a long time Redskin fan-I have suffered with you all-year in and year out. But come Monday I remember that this is only a game. A game I enjoy for entertainment purposes only. The ebbs and tides of a Skins game can be draining. But the day that I let a loss impact negatively on my psyche-is the day I find a new form of entertainment. BTW the Caps are 7-0!

Hail

Orakpo, MacIntosh, Williams, Davis, Landry, Bowen, Josh Wilson, Jenkins, Helu, Paul, and Austin.

I like what each one of them bring, and they're all either young or entering their prime.

Gano is turning into Mr Automatic.. I would have liked to see him kick the 49 yarder instead of going for it.

~Bang

You're just pulling names out of your tail now. There's a few good ones, but the others probably wouldn't even start on a good team.

---------- Post added October-24th-2011 at 08:32 AM ----------

Only the Redskin fans think like that. I have to admit, you have invented a new excuse for sucking. "If you're not gonna compete, don't play your young guys."

There's about 14-16 players left over from pre-Shanahan. He's overhauled 3/4 of the roster at the point, some positions two times over (RG comes to mind). Eventually, people aren't gonna be able to keep pinning the blame for the roster on someone else. Now, if you subscribe to the idea that you had to go down to go back up, I suppose I can get with that, but with no QB and another offseason of desperate needs, it might stay down longer than we hoped. We're not lucky enough to be like the Bills and 49ers and turn it around with the same underwhelming players from the year before.

Essentially we FEEL like we're better, but we're still getting the exact same results.

Only the Redskin fans think like that. I have to admit, you have invented a new excuse for sucking. "If you're not gonna compete, don't play your young guys."

No. Its "if you aren't going to compete, and you have older, serviceable RB's, don't waste your young guys legs for no reason, just to appease the fans".

I'm getting sick and tired of being patient. Other teams have personnel turnovers and find success almost immediately. With the Redskins, it's takes YEARS.

And why would or should we resign the aging Fletcher?

Cause he is the only guy who brings it every single week, and plays like it is about something other than the $$.

Cause he is the only guy who brings it every single week, and plays like it is about something other than the $$.

No hes not, stop it. Ryan has been bringing it every week. Rocky up until yesterday has been bringing it every week. LaRon has been brining it every week since he has been back from injury. London is fine and after the season ends he should look into coaching.

No. Its "if you aren't going to compete, and you have older, serviceable RB's, don't waste your young guys legs for no reason, just to appease the fans".

What's with the, "if you're not going to compete?" Aren't they supposed to be trying to win games? These guys are getting paid for a reason.

---------- Post added October-24th-2011 at 10:00 AM ----------

That's true, but he's still an aging player.

What's with the, "if you're not going to compete?" Aren't they supposed to be trying to win games? These guys are getting paid for a reason.

What the team is trying to do, and what their lack of ability allows them to do are two completely separate things.

We're as competitive as we can be in games; but even those wearing the deepest shade of burgundy coloured glasses have to admit we're a million miles away from being able to compete for the post-season and beyond as we currently stand.

Hail.

"Not ready to compete", in this context, means having the organizational awareness that we just aren't there yet. It means competing for a Super Bowl, and we aren't there. It means competing for something other than a lucky wildcard spot, and we're not even THERE yet. The coaches and players are expected to do their best to win each individual game during the regular season, of course. But its having the patience, and lack of ego, at the top to admit that we aren't there. Allen and Shanahan need to be there, in their minds, for this to work. And judging on this year's offseason, they are.

You're just pulling names out of your tail now. There's a few good ones, but the others probably wouldn't even start on a good team.

He asked me who has me excited.

They do.

And after next draft that list will be longer.

The few that you believe wouldn't start on a good team .. that may be true right now.

This team is developing. And as they do, those guys will either get better and show why they were drafted, or they'll fall by the wayside.

It's evident,, they've done the majority of building work that has been done so far on defense, particularly in the area of pass rush.

You have to start somewhere, and no matter hjow imaptient anyone wants to be, it will take time until this team is molded into what they're going for.

It's not there yet. And until it is, as a fan your patience is all you can give.

I'm not surprised you didn't answer my questin about your expectations. It's another thing you don't see.

Telling me what your expectations were helps explain your level of frustration.

Because to me, it sounds like you believe this team should be ready to compete as a playoff caliber team. And that would explain why you're so upset. It's a reach. They never were going to be a playoff contender unless we get some flukes going our way.

I still see 8-8 as my mark of improvement.

~Bang

He asked me who has me excited.

They do.

And after next draft that list will be longer.

The few that you believe wouldn't start on a good team .. that may be true right now.

This team is developing. And as they do, those guys will either get better and show why they were drafted, or they'll fall by the wayside.

It's evident,, they've done the majority of building work that has been done so far on defense, particularly in the area of pass rush.

You have to start somewhere, and no matter hjow imaptient anyone wants to be, it will take time until this team is molded into what they're going for.

It's not there yet. And until it is, as a fan your patience is all you can give.

I'm not surprised you didn't answer my questin about your expectations. It's another thing you don't see.

Telling me what your expectations were helps explain your level of frustration.

Because to me, it sounds like you believe this team should be ready to compete as a playoff caliber team. And that would explain why you're so upset. It's a reach. They never were going to be a playoff contender unless we get some flukes going our way.

I still see 8-8 as my mark of improvement.

~Bang

Bang please explain how this team wins 5 more games? Who do they beat and how?

Archived