Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Jason Reid: Beck May Determine Shannys' Future

Riggo#44

I don't think he is on the hotseat because of the understanding he had with Snyder before he was hired.

However some food for thought......

There are 32 head coaches in the NFL. They are supposed to be the 32 best coaches in the country at this point in time.

If I was being payed for being one of the 32 best in the country at my job, how many years do you think I would be able to not produce results and still keep my job?

definte "results". are results wins? superbowls? improvement from previous years?

for a team that was seriously left for dead, shanny has done a good job so far. his only big mistake was mcnabb, everything else has been good. rex/beck are still placeholders no matter what he tells the media, and frankly im disappointed at how blatantly dumb some of our local guys seem to be when they buy his coach speak of "i stake my reputation on these guys". i mean seriously, what else is he supposed to say? "YEAH THESE GUYS BLOW AND ARE PLACEHOLDERS! DONT BLAME ME IF THEY SUCK!" lol.

beck/rex have absolutely 0 impact on shanny as a coach. they were cheap easy options to get us through seasons while we built everything else. theyve improved the defense tenfold, our oline has been majorly improved (although is still not there yet), we seem to have a nice stable of RB (and this needs upgrade still) and we have a bunch of young WR whose books will be written by end of next season. only obstacle is QB, and we need to draft one. now if we dont draft a QB, im going to be furious with allen and shanny. no way are we going to truly contend with a kyle orton or any other scrub will pull off the heap. if they wanna attempt to build a consistent winner, we need a franchise QB.

definte "results". are results wins? superbowls? improvement from previous years?

only obstacle is QB, and we need to draft one.

I define results as 1) a winning record for starters. 2) progress to a perenial playoff contender. 3) finally win a ring or two.

How many years will Shanahan have to get to 1?

We have had an obstacle at QB for most of the last 20 years. That is the main reason for the Shanahan hire and Zorn before him. They are both touted as Geniuses for developing QBs.

I am not complaining about our defense. But our major demise over the years has been our offense was totally anemic.

I am a firm believer in fixing your weakest link 1st. Our defense was good enough to keep us in games if our offense had a chance of scoring 20-30 points a game.

Unfortunately Blache was always stuck defending a 7 point or less lead (when we had a lead) for most of the games. The defense rarely had any margin for error.

Edit: Hence the saying "The best defense is a good offense".

Our defense was overrated at best. They rarely came away with the big play. Our passrush was as anemic as our offense. Not to mention our top-10 defense in 2009 gave up 21 ppg -- as opposed to an NFL 2nd best 16.5 points this year...

And "defense wins championships" is a much more common saying...

Our defense was overrated at best. They rarely came away with the big play. Our passrush was as anemic as our offense. Not to mention our top-10 defense in 2009 gave up 21 ppg -- as opposed to an NFL 2nd best 16.5 points this year...

And "defense wins championships" is a much more common saying...

The reason why we seldom came up with big plays and turnovers and couldn't get enough pass rush is because we never had a big enough lead to play aggressively.

The defense was always playing on eggshells and had to be conservative because they knew we were not going to score many points.

Your basing 16.5 PPG on 5 games.

You have to get to the championship game first before you can win it. Without a good offense, with very few exceptions, you will never get there.

The reason why we seldom came up with big plays and turnovers and couldn't get enough pass rush is because we never had a big enough lead to play aggressively.

The defense was always playing on eggshells and had to be conservative because they knew we were not going to score many points.

Your basing 16.5 PPG on 5 games.

And what's different from this year? I guarentee the 09 defense blows the Rams and Cardinals games.

And what's different from this year? I guarentee the 09 defense blows the Rams and Cardinals games.

The defense this year is better than Blache's. The offense so far shows no improvement over Zorn's even though it seems we have more talent.

I am saying if the offense could score 20-30 points a game that Blache's defense would have been adequate for us to win games.

So even though our defense is improved, our team overall is only good enough to win close games against bad teams.

I just don't think that sacrificing upgrading our offense to marginally improve our defense was worth it.

The defense this year is better than Blache's. The offense so far shows no improvement over Zorn's even though it seems we have more talent.

I am saying if the offense could score 20-30 points a game that Blache's defense would have been adequate for us to win games.

So even though our defense is improved, our team overall is only good enough to win close games against bad teams.

I just don't think that sacrificing upgrading our offense to marginally improve our defense was worth it.

That's MOST defenses...

Zorn's O: 2008: 19th in the leage in yards, 16.5 PPG; 2009 (despite 6 straight games against winless teams): 22nd in yards, 16.6 PPG. This year: 17th in yards, 19.5 PPG. We are still berefit of playmakers on offense, but please, no improvement? Just stop.

That's MOST defenses...

Zorn's O: 2008: 19th in the leage in yards, 16.5 PPG; 2009 (despite 6 straight games against winless teams): 22nd in yards, 16.6 PPG. This year: 17th in yards, 19.5 PPG. We are still berefit of playmakers on offense, but please, no improvement? Just stop.

There you go again quoting stats from 5 games against whole seasons. How about if we use 4 games? Since the Giant's game, what is our average PPG in the last 4? That's right 17 PPG.

There you go again quoting stats from 5 games against whole seasons. How about if we use 4 games? Since the Giant's game, what is our average PPG in the last 4? That's right 17 PPG.

I LOVE this argument...well if you remove such and such a game...

You're reaching. There were games in the Zorn era that were offensive exposions (well if you consider scoring more than 20 pts an explosion -- somehting that happened a whopping 3 times in 2009) shouldn't we remove those too?

There are improvements, VAST improvements. There is still work to be done, but to compare this team with ANYTHING regarding the Jim Zorn era is just asinine.

Reid is an idiot. I personally have total and complete faith in Mike Shanahan, and as a fan I'd be far more upset with another turnover at coach than an inability to quickly procure and develop a quarterback.

Give the man time folks...if this organization were a house, you'd understand that the foundation had been crumbling for years yet Vinny kept replacing the roof. At least we have now stabilized.

I LOVE this argument...well if you remove such and such a game...

You're reaching. There were games in the Zorn era that were offensive exposions (well if you consider scoring more than 20 pts an explosion -- somehting that happened a whopping 3 times in 2009) shouldn't we remove those too?

There are improvements, VAST improvements. There is still work to be done, but to compare this team with ANYTHING regarding the Jim Zorn era is just asinine.

What do you mean? You are removing 11 games if you are quoting stats from only the first 5 games. It doesn't get any more asinine than that. I was just going along with your logic by using 4 games instead of 5.

The only thing I would consider a VAST improvement will be determined by the win/loss record at the end of the year.

Zorn won 8 games his first year, Shanny won 6. Lets see how this year plays out and then we can compare eras.

I thought LaCanfora was bad, but Reid is just awful. He always has such an axe to grind against the front office, and he doesn't understand that football teams don't really WANT to talk to reporters. He always paints the players to be victims of some sort of front-office-engineered injustice, instead of chalking up - for instance - McNabb's benching to the fact that he was a washed-up QB. The other day, as soon as Campbell got hurt (he play for the Raiders now! who cares!) Reid rushed to write a WaPo article (again, why?) about how he always thought Campbell was a "nice guy" (news flash, JReid: 99% of the world is made up of "nice" people - so what?) and deserved better, etc.

I don't always agree with Sally Jenkins and I know she's taken a lot of heat on here, but her column today, criticizing Grossman, was so well written and thought out. You might not agree with it, but she was on point. Compared to Reid's boring writing, hers felt Pulitzer-worthy.

I thought LaCanfora was bad, but Reid is just awful. He always has such an axe to grind against the front office, and he doesn't understand that football teams don't really WANT to talk to reporters. He always paints the players to be victims of some sort of front-office-engineered injustice, instead of chalking up - for instance - McNabb's benching to the fact that he was a washed-up QB. The other day, as soon as Campbell got hurt (he play for the Raiders now! who cares!) Reid rushed to write a WaPo article (again, why?) about how he always thought Campbell was a "nice guy" (news flash, JReid: 99% of the world is made up of "nice" people - so what?) and deserved better, etc.

I don't always agree with Sally Jenkins and I know she's taken a lot of heat on here, but her column today, criticizing Grossman, was so well written and thought out. You might not agree with it, but she was on point. Compared to Reid's boring writing, hers felt Pulitzer-worthy.

Great post. And yes, Sally Jenkins has been writing some solid stuff lately. Then again, the bar is so low at the WaPo now that anything remotely competent and objective stands out.

And that's what it all comes down to; I don't mind people criticizing our team, as long as their arguments are well reasoned, well thought out and well written. Fact is that you may not always agree with guys like John Keim and Rich Campbell and the like, but they're never going to write something just to get a rise out of people, and everything they write is for a purpose.

This question is what quarterback was worth a high draft pick this year? Even though Newton has played well there were real question marks about him as well and we'd have had to given away the store to move up that far in the draft. There's a lot more upside for Shanahan because if Beck pans out he'll be a genius and if he crashes and burns then oh well look what he had to work with.

Archived