Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Jason Reid: Beck May Determine Shannys' Future

Riggo#44

Did anyone find that really hard to read . I mean not just the fact it is Jason Reid and his JLC act (writing an article based entirely on conjecture with no substance) but the way it was constructed was so - well laboured like he was really trying to make something out of nothing . I mean really trying .

I didn't read the article, only the title which has the keyword MAY. If Beck is a fail, we draft the QB of the future. I don't care who the brain trust that does the picking but there's about a 1 in 2 chance they fail. If Beck is a fail, this guy starts 2012 and if he is fail, don't be surprised if Shanny gets fired (or asked strongly to resign). Now, if Beck is decent or better, Shanny will probably be looking for the QB of the future in round 1 of the 2012 draft anyway but no one will really know if it's a good pick until 2013. Beck MAY determine Shanny's future but only indirectly.

I just read on Redskins.com what Shanny said about Drew Brees and how much he respects the quarterback play of Brees and calls him a difference maker. His point is that early on before he went to New Orleans no one was sure of what he could do. In fact good old former GM named Vinny had a chance to pick up Brees that summer and of course did nothing along with many other NFL teams because he had just had his shoulder repaired. The New Orleans GM and head coach new what they were getting- a true winner and a leader. Shanny knows the difference between McNabb and Brees for sure. I was not a Shanny fan when he was hired with the Skins. I think the jury is still out on how he well he may or may not do ultimately after a few years in Washington. Shanny does not read Reid's columns I bet.

The Washington Post's Redskins coverage is a disgrace.

Oh, how I miss the days of Mark Maske. Hell, I'm even starting to miss JLC. That's how low it's sunk.

Every Post writer on the Redskins beat just stirs drama.

The same hacks that are already writing Shanny's coaching obituary here (at 3-2!) have killed Snyder in the past for being impatient.

Reid is really the worst though. He clearly has a personal issue with Shanahan. Wise isn't much better.

Great point. "Why can't Dan be patient?" "Dan is going to fire this guy two years into a rebuild!" Just doesn't pass the sniff test. The funny thing is that these guys actually think they are controlling opinions.

Would you draft a QB, and put him behind our swiss cheese Oline?

That is investing big money with no insurance.

You have to build your line before you get the franchise QB.

Nope, I didn't say play the drafted rookie. But by doing the McNabb deal, giving up draft picks and not drafting a QB, we have no one in the wings if Beck doesn't work out.

Jason Campbell was adequate, or at least as good as McNabb or Rex Grossman, to get us through a year or two until our draftee was ready.

This means we will be starting from scratch next year if we do draft a rookie QB. This will take us an additional 2 years to become competitive compared to if we would have drafted a QB the first year with the 4th pick in the draft.

Trent Williams, although decent, has not shown so far he was worth that pick. If a QB wasn't there at 4 that Shanahan wanted we could have traded down and still drafted a decent OL and picked a second tier QB that may have developed into a quality starter.

Right now we have absolutely nothing if Beck doesn't work out.

1st year Shanallen = Epic fail IMO. I do feel that we had a good draft this year but we will still be 2 years away from when we draft a quality QB.

Next year would have been the year if we would have done it the first draft.

The unit of the ball that he's responsible hasn't show much improvement, all things considered. They're pretty much where they were last year. People can talk about how they're better at this position or that position on the offense, but the results are still the same. The yards per game are basically the same and the points per game are the same.

I'm sorry but use your own brains. Shanny has been missing on QBs since he took the job here. I would hope John works out or he finds a good one soon or we're doomed here for a long time.

You sound like Shanahan has been coaching here in Washington for ten years. This is just the second season under Shanahan, and the 'skins still have a 3-2 record and a half game out of first place. The front office did exactly what they should have done this year in the draft and free agency - build the entire team up as much as they could. Next year, they draft a QB. Give the man at least a couple of seasons to prove he's gotten this franchise back on the right path for Pete's sake.

This means we will be starting from scratch next year if we do draft a rookie QB. This will take us an additional 2 years to become competitive compared to if we would have drafted a QB the first year with the 4th pick in the draft.

Trent Williams, although decent, has not shown so far he was worth that pick. If a QB wasn't there at 4 that Shanahan wanted we could have traded down and still drafted a decent OL and picked a second tier QB that may have developed into a quality starter.

Ok, other than Sam Bradford, who would you like on this list?

Bradford, Sam

Clausen, Jimmy

Tebow, Tim

McCoy, Colt

Skelton, John

Pike, Tony

LeFevour, Dan

Kafka, Mike

Robinson, Zac

Edwards, Armanti

Crompton, Jonathan

Canfield, Sean

Brown, Levi

Webb, Joe

Smith, Rusty

Right now we have absolutely nothing if Beck doesn't work out.

1st year Shanallen = Epic fail IMO. I do feel that we had a good draft this year but we will still be 2 years away from when we draft a quality QB.

Next year would have been the year if we would have done it the first draft.

Shanny's 1st year, yes he made some mistakes. However, that year was severly handicapped by a lack of unresitrected free agents and the ones available were crap. That year however, they did one very, very important thing: the unloaded a ton of bad contracts and bad money (ie. paying Fatty and Hall their signing bonus in one lump sum to get it off the cap.)

I really don't understand the outright pessimism here. The defense is worlds better. They are significantly younger. Do people forget that just two years ago, this team was a 4-12 debacle?

Jesus people are reacting to a narrow loss to the Eagles (where they needed Grossman to turn the ball over like it was on fire and losing the left side of the line to win) like the 59-28 debacle last year. Prior teams get blown out in that game. There has been a ton of progress, anyone that doesn't see it probably listen to Lavar and Dukes and think they know what they're talking about.

Like most at the WaPo, Reid is a hater. He hates the Redskins, the fans, and Dan Snyder. He goes on 106.7 (another anti-Redskins media outlet) and continues his crusade on spreading lies and hate.

Reid doesn't check facts, he stated that Mike Shanahan put his reputation on the line for Rex Grossman. NOPE, wrong again Reid, Mike put his reputation on the lline for Beck, NOT Grossman.

It's **** like this that gets everyone all pissed off, it's no wonder the casual fan hates the Redskins, they are being bombarded with garbage reporting from the WaPo and 106.7 the fan.

Ok, other than Sam Bradford, who would you like on this list?

Bradford, Sam

Clausen, Jimmy

Tebow, Tim

McCoy, Colt

Skelton, John

Pike, Tony

LeFevour, Dan

Kafka, Mike

Robinson, Zac

Edwards, Armanti

Crompton, Jonathan

Canfield, Sean

Brown, Levi

Webb, Joe

Smith, Rusty

Both Shanahans specialties are know for being "Geniuses" at developing QBs. So I would go with the one they felt had the best chance to develop for this offense.

Edit: I am not an expert here but the Shanahans are payed to be just that.

Edit2: Also I would have rather spent 2nd and 4th round picks on any two on this list than a 34 year old has been.

Edit3: Also for the last 5 years or longer we have been complaining about our OL and QB as the biggest needs on this team.

If Shanahan would have stayed with the 4-3 defense for the first couple years we could have bolstered these positions and had our offense on track.

Instead we had to use most of our quality draft picks to fill holes in the defense for the 3-4.

A giant fan friend of mine sent me this laughing about shanahan being on the hotseat. When I read it I was dumbfounded and speechless. This is literally the most unintelligible worst piece of pig vomit I've ever read in my life

forget what shanahan has done to the D, disregard the complete culture change of the most dysfunctional team in SPORTS, forget the fact he's really only had one full off-season of FA and draft picks, forget that no qb was worth the 10th pick. Nope forget all that, its up to grossman and beck to save shannys job.

I just can't believe that deushbag has a job

If anyone wants to read my twitter exchange with JReid, follow me at @imadni

I'll give JReid credit for responding to fans about his article

For those of us not on Twitter, can you post?

---------- Post added October-21st-2011 at 10:11 AM ----------

Both Shanahans specialties are know for being "Geniuses" at developing QBs. So I would go with the one they felt had the best chance to develop for this offense.

Edit: I am not an expert here but the Shanahans are payed to be just that.

So, if the Shannys didn't see one they could develop, what would you suggest?

Edit2: Also I would have rather spent 2nd and 4th round picks on any two on this list than a 34 year old has been.

Everyone knows that was a mistake, however they were able to recoup those picks by trading Campbell/moving back in the draft and filling multiple holes. Yes they passed on Gabbert -- but I really don't think he's going to be the answer (and apparently the people paid so well to make that decision agree).

Edit3: Also for the last 5 years or longer we have been complaining about our OL and QB as the biggest needs on this team.

If Shanahan would have stayed with the 4-3 defense for the first couple years we could have bolstered these positions and had our offense on track.

Instead we had to use most of our quality draft picks to fill holes in the defense for the 3-4.

Did you REALLY just complain about the defense? Really? This is a much better unit over all than the "Top 10" Blache defenses. Really?

Did you REALLY just complain about the defense? Really? This is a much better unit over all than the "Top 10" Blache defenses. Really?

I am not complaining about our defense. But our major demise over the years has been our offense was totally anemic.

I am a firm believer in fixing your weakest link 1st. Our defense was good enough to keep us in games if our offense had a chance of scoring 20-30 points a game.

Unfortunately Blache was always stuck defending a 7 point or less lead (when we had a lead) for most of the games. The defense rarely had any margin for error.

Edit: Hence the saying "The best defense is a good offense".

reid is a terrible reporter and shouldnt be given the time of day. this article was laughable, and anybody who thinks shanny is on the hotseat is a complete idiot.

I don't think he is on the hotseat because of the understanding he had with Snyder before he was hired.

However some food for thought......

There are 32 head coaches in the NFL. They are supposed to be the 32 best coaches in the country at this point in time.

If I was being payed for being one of the 32 best in the country at my job, how many years do you think I would be able to not produce results and still keep my job?

Great point and it was a respectable 4-3 defense too.

Archived