Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Jason Reid: Beck May Determine Shannys' Future

Riggo#44

Once again, Reid is full of fail.

There is so much over exaggeration, overreaction and just irritatingly poor analysis in this article it isn't even funny!

For Washington Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan and his son Kyle, the team’s offensive coordinator, it’s suddenly all about John Beck.

Who would’ve guessed that one of pro football’s most respected coaches and one of the game’s up-and-coming young assistants would tie their fortunes — and those of the Redskins — so closely to a journeyman quarterback who hasn’t started a game since 2007?

But that’s what they’ve just done.

No, Jason, it isn't. The Shannys' weren't going to make the mistake they made last year. Grossman and Beck are placeholders and nothing more. Any one knows that, except, apparently, you.

If Shanahan and his son are wrong about Beck — as they were about Donovan McNabb last year and Grossman this year — they would be 0 for 3 in picking people for the position they supposedly know so well. They would undermine whatever improvements they’ve made to the roster elsewhere. And they would set back the franchise’s progress a year or two or maybe more, because if the Redskins enter next season without a proven starting quarterback they would be right back where they were when the Shanahans arrived. It’s really that simple.

Really?! A rookie QB -- even one as talented as Barkley, Jones, or RG3 -- would send the defense right back to the basement of the league?! It would bring back the running back combination of Portis and LJ? Joey Galloway would be starting again?? We'd bench the highly effective Chester, Williams and Lichtensteiger (get well Kory!) and bring back Dockery, Rabach and Hicks?!

Now Shanahan has closed the Grossman chapter in Redskins history too. It was time. Although he finally gave Grossman the hook after the four-turnover debacle against the Eagles, it could have occurred earlier this season. But after blowing it as badly as he did with McNabb, Shanahan was staking his reputation on Grossman and hoping he would make him look good. Didn’t work out so well.

So now he and his son are staking their reputations on Beck. They have no choice. They have to provide Beck with at least as much time as Grossman received to ultimately reaffirm what most people not named Shanahan already knew: Grossman wasn’t the guy.

Jason, you know they have a draft right? It occurs every year in April? You know Shanahan and Allen have done a good job there. I am willing to bet that is the QB the Shannys' stake their reputation on, not this journeyman crap they have been trotting out there.

Maybe, just maybe, the Post can hire someone with an ounce of analytical ability and not so-called writers like Reid and Arrington.

Click the link for the full "article"

I agree with you two. They haven't really had much to pick from at QB. Next years class is going to be really good, let them get their guy. The article is garb, Beck is 30 pf course he will not lead the team to the promiase land. He will give is a shot but he will not be a savior whatsoever

I love how people get down on Shanny for McNabb... Given what you saw from Rex, what choice did he have? It didn't work out, big deal. The only thing anyone could say is he didn't draft a QB last year but given Kerrigan's start along with the D's improvement I'm not sure how you could argue with the results.

Him being on the hot seat for Beck? Laughable... What choices are there? Spending two first rounders on Carson? Shanny is doing a good job and if Danny is stupid enough to cut him before his contract is over then I have a feeling it will be the last straw for a lot of people.

That's modern journalism. It's not just the Washington Post. Reid is indicative of what is asked of journalists today. They need to spark debate with bombastic hyperbole. Being level headed and bringing two sides to a story can't compete with the idiot blogs and the no attention span twittering.

Shanahan has a 5 year contract and he's going to use all of those 5 years - not just the first two - to build this thing back. Off the ledge Reid.

I love how people get down on Shanny for McNabb... Given what you saw from Rex, what choice did he have? It didn't work out, big deal. The only thing anyone could say is he didn't draft a QB last year but given Kerrigan's start along with the D's improvement I'm not sure how you could argue with the results.

Him being on the hot seat for Beck? Laughable... What choices are there? Spending two first rounders on Carson? Shanny is doing a good job and if Danny is stupid enough to cut him before his contract is over then I have a feeling it will be the last straw for a lot of people.

Danny isn't going to fire him and Mike isn't going anywhere. Jason is just being Jason but he still makes a good point. Its time for us to not only address the position but get it right. That isn't even debatable at this point.

You have to admit that the McNabb miss and not drafting a QB did set us back a couple years though.

The McNabb whiff, yes, but not passing on a QB in last years draft. The Redskins filled a lot of holes, in fact most of them, last year; and trading down from Gabbert was a big part of that (Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson and Helu all came from a series of trades stemming from that 1st one). Plus, the QBs in last years draft paled in comparison to what is available this year.

Well, calling it plain ole bs journalism would not be enough. Yes, unfortunately that's how these kinds of journalists make their living, it's all part of the business. I like how our caching staff and players are not influenced by any of this %^&* at any level.

Danny isn't going to fire him and Mike isn't going anywhere. Jason is just being Jason but he still makes a good point. Its time for us to not only address the position but get it right. That isn't even debatable at this point.

It's almost as if Reid WANTS Shanahan to fail. Yes -- it is time to get the QB position right. However, at no point does Reid even mention the draft. THAT is where we need to get it right, not bringing in another "proven" starting QB. And, not relying on the 30-year-old-never-was John Beck.

You have to admit that the McNabb miss and not drafting a QB did set us back a couple years though.

So you would rather reach on a QB not worth taking, miss out on Kerrigan, and not take a QB this when the draft class is deep?

McNabb and Grossman were supposed to be able to be competent enough until we could draft the right one. I don't disagree with their strategy. If you look at Grossman at the end of last season it's hard to say that you wouldn't think he could at least keep us competitive until the QB of the future came along. Unfortunately old Rex came back to haunt them.

Yeah, well we'll just have to see how Blaine Gabbart works out, won't we?

While it's early, he's not off to a flying start: 60/123 48.8% 717 yrds (5.83 ypa) 4 TD 2 INT.

The two things I really didn't like about Gabbert in college: terrible in the Red Zone and terrible on 3rd downs. Which has been our problem for 20 years.

Archived