Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Adam Schefter on Mike & Mike and twitter (Beck will start vs Carolina)

authentic

All things considered, I think this is the right move. I love Rex's moxie but he just isn't getting it done. I don't know if he just got to comfortable with the job being his or what, but he definitely has gone down hill each week. Additionally, with the injuries on the O line, we need a mobile QB to help buy time. Good luck Beck, I am pullin' for ya!

The only thing that concerns me is this; Beck happens to get hurt { I hope not } and Rex gets sent in. So he goes out there and has the "I don't give a s*" attitude and throws the ball up for grabs, not that he wasn't doing it in the first place, but almost but not quite intentionally playing like crap because of his benching, just to be Rex.

I would doubt any player, especially a qb to even consider doing this, but if there's 1 qb that I could see doing it, its Rex...

The only thing that concerns me is this; Beck happens to get hurt { I hope not } and Rex gets sent in. So he goes out there and has the "I don't give a s*" attitude and throws the ball up for grabs, not that he wasn't doing it in the first place, but almost but not quite intentionally playing like crap because of his benching, just to be Rex.

I would doubt any player, especially a qb to even consider doing this, but if there's 1 qb that I could see doing it, its Rex...

This comment is absolutely ludicrous. :doh:

I'd hope that he'd have more professionalism than that. However, it's not like he is going to have much of chance with another team once he's finished here. He may try to go out in a blaze of glory...or picks.

I can tell you this, he brings more potential to the table than any other QB we've had around here for almost 2 decades. That alone, should be enough excitement for this board for gameday Sunday.

This is quite funny... I remember when I first starting coming on these boards right after you guys got McNabb and many, many posters said the EXACT same thing! He is better than any one you had in decades. How did that work out? I think Beck would have been successful somewhere else by now if he was an above average QB. I think whoever your QB is there will be fans that are eternal opptimists and then the fans that know how the story will more than likely end, and those are the ones that won't be posting on here after every lose to losing teams.

LOL seriously. So he would throw away another 5 years of $1M a year as a backup just for spite?

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 05:15 PM ----------

Beck is going to turn this ship around... just you watch!

Like to wager a bet?

We dont know if Beck is not Tom Brady yet. He has never really had a chance.

Hm I might be Tom Brady too. I never had a chance to start at the NFL level. Maybe my time will come too.

Grossman fan here... he's been playing terrible. Still I don't see how you bench him when we're 3-2 and competitive.

To everyone saying Beck can't do any worse... really? Yea he can. He could not move the ball. He could turn it over twice a game without moving the ball. Rex has made some stupid plays. Last game especially.... but it's not like he wasn't completing passes those first 4 games, despite what this board will tell ya.

How would we know?

Hm I might be Tom Brady too. I never had a chance to start at the NFL level. Maybe my time will come too.

Grossman fan here... he's been playing terrible. Still I don't see how you bench him when we're 3-2 and competitive.

To everyone saying Beck can't do any worse... really? Yea he can. He could not move the ball. He could turn it over twice a game without moving the ball. Rex has made some stupid plays. Last game especially.... but it's not like he wasn't completing passes those first 4 games, despite what this board will tell ya.

How do we know (or not know) that maybe this was Shanny's plan all along. Maybe he felt that the PS competition was won by Rex in the sense that he felt comfortable enough to move into the season with RG as the starting QB but that behind the scenes he felt that JB was improving in the offense and he knew that within a 8 weeks or so he would be a much more effective QB than what Rex is? We don't know any of these things because we don't see what the coaches see everyday at practice. This could very well be the scenario behind why MS made the decision to bench a 3-2 QB, because he knows JB bring even more of an opportunity for success to the table. Alot of hypothetical what-ifs can be associated with this move.

Now that its done, I really hope people not only give Beck a chance to succeed, but a chance to fail as well. Elite QBs are not built in half of a season and even if you have that established, it still could take a while.

Our weapons on offense are limited and so is our starting QBs NFL starting experience. We as fans need to give the team a chance to become a team.

surprised at the players loyalty to Rex....I agree w the decision...****in Rex hasn't done **** every time the game needed him to step up and make a play...he has been a turnover machine...maybe gaffney and moss need to take a hike instead of sticking up for their underperforming FL boy!!!!

produce or sit the **** down...

This move makes sense to me. The skins are building for the future. We have now seen what Grossman has to offer. We might as well see what Beck can do in this offense. This will help Shanahan and Allen make a decision in terms of qb in the upcoming draft.

Terry Bradshaw once said, when talking about Grossman's career in Chicago, that he being Terry could never survive for very long in the NFL. He was quite grateful for his coaches' patience with him - unlike that shown towards Rex there and many other QBs over the years on other teams.

Why not give Beck a shot? If he fails, the team might be more behind Rex then. But this offense, as the Bears did in 2007 when he was benched, has lots of issues. No stand out RB, OL that has pass protection issues (see their stats on NFL.com), inconsistent/hurt TEs and no big go-to WR in the red zone. Plus play calling is way too pass happy. Not to mention Armstrong, probably the team's best deep threat, has been hurt this year.

I don't know much about Beck so he might do well. But I knew Cutler wouldn't in the same system Rex worked with in Chicago with the league's oldest OL ... and Cutler stunk it up.

At this point, I am entertaining how it would make me feel to see the Redskins trade three 1's to move up and get Andrew Luck. Honestly, I could justify it in my head.

I believe in Shanny and I don't think this is as big a deal as some of the media types are making it out to be.

Archived