Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Adam Schefter on Mike & Mike and twitter (Beck will start vs Carolina)

authentic

That's exactly what it is. One scrub QB for another.

But then, we knew what we were dealing with at the start of the season. I lowered my expectations accordingly.

At least the defense makes our games watchable. They should keep us in contention just about every week, even if most of our games end in an L.

pretty much. although whats sad is that if beck plays well, this whole town will flip out that beck is the savior and that the QB position is solved, and all we need to do is draft the hogs and we'll be good.

and then when beck finally comes back down to earth people will be confused, and blame kyle.

Okay call me a homer but let me ask. Why are so many people hot and cold on Beck, from what I read he had a great career in college. Why is it so hard to think that him not starting could be a good thing, perhaps he took this time to truly become a student of the game. Perhaps he might be the next Kurt Warner. I know that had the recievers caught the balls he threw Sunday he would have probably won that game. I like his mobility and the so called noodle arm hasn't been proven yet. So I think or rather hope he takes this chance and runs with it. Maybe it was by design that the Dolphin's offense wasn't suited to his skillset, wear perhaps this one is.......All I know is I thought he looked better and played better in the preseason than Rex Suckman anyway and why Rex was the starter to me was a dumb decision anyway. Thoughts? or am I just still wearing my redskins sunglasses??? Was it me or did the offense look better after Beck came in Sunday. Also the "support" Moss gave Grossman was him being politically correct, had he not Rex wouldn't throw him the ball...............I think we do alot better point wise with Beck.

So let's go back and analyze this game (I'm not making another thread for this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ_e0LD5WbE

I think the biggest issue is our receivers are going to have to get use to how hard Beck seems to throw the ball and some of Beck's throws were too low. However on a lot of occassions he put the ball in good spots, people just weren't coming up with it. Also, while I don't think Beck will be INT-prone, I am a little worried about him fumbling. He needs to make sure to secure that ball, particularly when he is leaving the pocket.

It is pretty funny that there are so many assuming Beck is going to fail. He probably won't be as bad as Grossman and gives the offense another demension. IF he can run the offense properly he should have more success than Grossman. I like Rex don't get me wrong, but the TO's have to stop, if Beck controls that and gets about the same positive production, than Beck is going to win more games. Shanny said they were close and probably picked Rex because of last years finish by him and experience. His turn is over. Support Beck and don't hang the guy out to dry just yet. He might surprise.

I would give up our next 2 drafts for Andrew Luck, we've been in QB mediocrity for too long. Most of you chuckle and sulk at the thought of trading away draft pics, but in the league today you need a superb QB to compete for a super bowl. Do I think 2 complete drafts get Andrew Luck......Nope!

If it took 2 #1s and a player, I think I'd do it. I think I'd do it even if Beck is halfway decent.

pretty much. although whats sad is that if beck plays well, this whole town will flip out that beck is the savior and that the QB position is solved, and all we need to do is draft the hogs and we'll be good.

and then when beck finally comes back down to earth people will be confused, and blame kyle.

Even if Beck turns out great, we should still draft a QB to groom behind him.

So let's go back and analyze this game (I'm not making another thread for this):

I think the biggest issue is our receivers are going to have to get use to how hard Beck seems to throw the ball and some of Beck's throws were too low. However on a lot of occassions he put the ball in good spots, people just weren't coming up with it. Also, while I don't think Beck will be INT-prone, I am a little worried about him fumbling. He needs to make sure to secure that ball, particularly when he is leaving the pocket.

I think the business with the low throws is Beck always seems a little anxious. Like he needs to calm down. And there was probably some rust, which a week of first team reps should cure. He seemed to make good decisions, he just missed, but I don't think he's just an inaccurate guy as a rule. Playing QB at BYU usually means you're a pretty accurate passer.

Even if Beck turns out great, we should still draft a QB to groom behind him.

Absolutely. I don't think there is a realistic scenario that could play out this year which would cause me to change my mind on that. Even if Beck throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs every game and we go 14-2 (11-0 in his starts), he's still 31 or so. Having another talented guy to learn the ropes behind him is a must.

Okay call me a homer but let me ask. Why are so many people hot and cold on Beck, from what I read he had a great career in college. Why is it so hard to think that him not starting could be a good thing, perhaps he took this time to truly become a student of the game. Perhaps he might be the next Kurt Warner. I know that had the recievers caught the balls he threw Sunday he would have probably won that game. I like his mobility and the so called noodle arm hasn't been proven yet. So I think or rather hope he takes this chance and runs with it. Maybe it was by design that the Dolphin's offense wasn't suited to his skillset, wear perhaps this one is.......All I know is I thought he looked better and played better in the preseason than Rex Suckman anyway and why Rex was the starter to me was a dumb decision anyway. Thoughts? or am I just still wearing my redskins sunglasses??? Was it me or did the offense look better after Beck came in Sunday. Also the "support" Moss gave Grossman was him being politically correct, had he not Rex wouldn't throw him the ball...............I think we do alot better point wise with Beck.

I think the biggest deal is that nobody knows a thing about John Beck. We just have to hope that we get to see what the coaching staff apparent saw in Beck prior to the season. I am 100% behind Beck and hope he adds a spark to that offense. It's cautious optimism though. I still believe regardless of how this season turns out (if Beck winds up breaking loose and becoming a great QB) the 'skins should still draft a QB.

Beck has bounced around and had his last start in 2007, 4 years ago. If anyone thought he was an NFL starter, he'd be on some other team, not the Redskins.

Maybe we lose a bunch more games and be in a position to draft a real starting QB, not some other team's leftovers.

That is the biggest misconception of Becks career. Drafted to a horrible Miami team and forced to play a few games on a team that was giving up 30 points a game. End of season the coach was fired and that was the end of Beck. Year later he is in Baltimore sitting behind Flacco. He was never going to get playing time there. Year later he is in Washington sitting behind McNasty. This year is really the first year he has had a chance to compete for the job.

does everyone here realize... if Beck doesn't work out...

this season and next season are likely busts..

I don't understand the logic. Please explain how next season is a bust.

Also, please explain how this season is a bust. It's a rebuilding year and we've drafted a bunch of new players who are already paying off.

Basically, please explain your entire post, as it makes no sense.

I don't agree with you a lot, but truer words have never been spoken. People are so quick to jump on Kyle, but if you are working with **** it is still **** no matter what you do. The man under center is the key to winning or losing in most cases. I hope Beck workes out, but I'm not holding my breath.

That is the biggest misconception of Becks career. Drafted to a horrible Miami team and forced to play a few games on a team that was giving up 30 points a game. End of season the coach was fired and that was the end of Beck. Year later he is in Baltimore sitting behind Flacco. He was never going to get playing time there. Year later he is in Washington sitting behind McNasty. This year is really the first year he has had a chance to compete for the job.

Very true. Definitely not your prototypical journeymen player. This is probably Beck first legitimate shot at starting in the NFL.

A) What makes you think Luck can choose his team?

B) If he can choose his team, what makes you think he'll want to play for us?

Look he don't have to sign a contract. He can refuse too do that. Eli has done it and Elway too. Next out of the teams that need a QB I say we are one the best situation. Hometown, Close to family, Owner spends money, Superbowl winning coach, perfect system. I ask him why NOT!

I'm excited for Beck to get the start. Grossman has played himself out of the starter role due to poor play.

Now is the opportunity for John to show what this mystery is all about. For those of us who have followed him his entire College and Pro career, we know what a gem he is. The time is right. I just hope he takes advantage of it, and believe he will. I think the supporters of this change will feel satisfied, and the naysayers will just have to find out.

Looking forward to this game.

I don't understand the logic. Please explain how next season is a bust.

Also, please explain how this season is a bust. It's a rebuilding year and we've drafted a bunch of new players who are already paying off.

Basically, please explain your entire post, as it makes no sense.

Without at least a good QB in the modern NFL.. you will get nowhere. The point is to get to the playoffs and win a superbowl right? That is the poitn of playing and all?

If Beck fails... We have no QB in Washington right now. So this season is a bust..

and next season we'll still have no QB except someone we just drafted. Sometimes you can throw a guy in the fire and they do well.. (Andy Dalton so far seems to be doing o.k., so is Newton).. but the chances of that are not high. And honestly, you don't want to do that. You don't want to spend a #1 on a QB and then just throw him into the steel cage and hope he comes out o.k. You want to be able to groom them for a bit so that you don't damage their confidence, that's how you end up with Matt Lienart or Jimmy Clausen. Guys who got thrown in the fired and burned.

So.. if Beck doesnt' work out.. we are dead in water until we have someone they can install at the QB position. And anyway you look at it.. it would be someone that is new to the system next year and you're starting all over.

Archived