Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell Vs Rex Gossman

Highway66

lol at "not liking JC". and theyre both bad so itd be like picking which bag of **** to eat. campbell isnt quick enough and never went through his reads fast enough to excel in this offense, which is why he was let go. he barely has to do anything in oakland: hand off to mcfadden and bush 35 times a game, throw 2 deep balls, usually completing 1-2 per month, throw mounds of screen passes, and scramble every now and then.

rex is a better fit for our offense, but hes still a poor QB.

This.

Neither are anything more than mediocre/inconsistent QBs and I expect that Rex is just a stopgap. If he sticks it out for several more years here (please god no) then he'll start catching the kind of heat that Campbell did. Plus we're winning right now so people aren't going to hate on Rex too hard.

Sexy Rexy probably has the slowest release in the entire league.

That sort of depends. If it is a short drop and release he has the ball up by his ear ready to go. He is quick with the relase when time is of the essence.

However, if it is a deep throw, roll out, slow developing play, etc. he tends to hold the ball away from the release position, often with one hand down around the waist, hence the slow release and frequent turnovers from being stripped of the ball.

Google "Rex Grossman" and "quick release" and come back when you've acquired a clue. His release is probably his best single asset.

It's nuts. Now that Kyle Orton is on the bench, I think Rex is the number one QB in the fans of his own team bash him mercilessly department.

---------- Post added October-14th-2011 at 04:36 AM ----------

If Campbell was our QB, we'd be 4-0, because JC is athletic enough to avoid being chased down from behind. Simply put, Grossman's inability to scramble cost us that game.

Oh, give me a GD break. We have no idea what our record would be. Yes, JC can scramble. He also never throws that TD to Gaffney in the Giants game. For better and worse, Rex isn't afraid to throw into tight windows. JC definitely is.

And for the record, no pick Rex threw this year was half as bad as the one JC threw against New England.

:rolleyes:

If Campbell was our QB, we'd be 4-0, because JC is athletic enough to avoid being chased down from behind. Simply put, Grossman's inability to scramble cost us that game.

Sure, that's right. Campbell would've driven the team right down the field, just like he always did late in the 4th quarter. :rolleyes:

Silly comparison. The fact is neither Rex, or Campbell, will be anything more than what they are...average to slightly above average QB's. It doesn't matter what the numbers are. As commentor's said above...Rex is a stopgap. The coaches know this. Take a look at his numbers during the 2006 Super Bowl season:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/4480/year/2006/rex-grossman

They suck. The Bears won on Defense and a two back system in Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson. Sound familiar? I think anything above .500 and last place is exceeding expectations this year, the rest is icing on the cake. I can only dream that we have a year like Chicago did in '06 before Shanny goes and gets his guy (QB) for the future.

The bottom line is welcome to the new way our redskins are run. JC = the old way. Let go man, just let go.

:rolleyes:

Sure, that's right. Campbell would've driven the team right down the field, just like he always did late in the 4th quarter. :rolleyes:

Come on. JC was great in the fourth. We'd be down 14 points and he'd build up his stats by getting chunks of ultimately meaningless yards against a prevent D.

Oh, give me a GD break. We have no idea what our record would be. Yes, JC can scramble. He also never throws that TD to Gaffney in the Giants game. For better and worse, Rex isn't afraid to throw into tight windows. JC definitely is.

And for the record, no pick Rex threw this year was half as bad as the one JC threw against New England.

It was a speculative post obviously, but on the same token, at least JC was able to throw and complete the deep pass, something Grossman simply cannot do, Let us also not forget, JC had NO protection, while we now appear to have one of the better OLs in the league.

Who was this JC that completed deep passes?

Dude had an arm. But he didn't trust its accuracy deep.

And he still doesn't.

Hey, I don't hate JC. I'm rooting for JC and the entire Raiders team.

I just think these kind of threads are nuts.

And here I am participating.

Okay my apologies to everyone in this thread as I was a little confused as to what we actually meant by "release". What I meant to say was that he holds on to the ball for far too long. His actual windup and release are amazingly sort of quick.

Come on. JC was great in the fourth. We'd be down 14 points and he'd build up his stats by getting chunks of ultimately meaningless yards against a prevent D.

The sad part is that people actually believe this.

The myth that JC got all his stats in 'garbage time' is silly.

First of all when you isolate one set of stats and hold them to higher scrutiny then everyone elses your making a flawes comparison to begin with.

Second the 2009 point differential was -70 which averages out to 4.375 points per game.

There is no way to extrapolate -70 or 4.375 points a game and claim that JC's stats are a result of 'garbage time' stats.

Its just become another exremeskins accepted myth.

Nevermind that ESPN's new TQBR which specificallys minimizes the all the empty numbers like 'garbage time' points still rates that Campbell played at average in 2009, which under the circumstances is quite good and its still better then Rex is playing right now.

Who was this JC that completed deep passes?

Dude had an arm. But he didn't trust its accuracy deep.

And he still doesn't.

Hey, I don't hate JC. I'm rooting for JC and the entire Raiders team.

I just think these kind of threads are nuts.

And here I am participating.

Me too.

I think these threads are kinda nuts but here I am posting away.

Its a guilty pleasure, like sneaking a cigarette when I go the bar or something.

But, the reason I'm drawn to post is because I read things that are factually incorrect and it bugs me, like above.

People like to forget stuff that doesn't fit their memory.

JC was a good deep ball thrower that was handcuffed by coaching then beaten into submission by lack of pass protection.

I know no one reads these links but Campbell used to actually have a good deep ball:

September 9, 2009, 6:15 am Jim Zorn as a Coach: Where Did the Risk-Taker Go?http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/jim-zorn-as-a-coach-where-did-the-risk-taker-go/

How is the timeline flawed?

Your second statement isn't even true.

Uh, yeah, retracted on that. He had good things to say about McNabb even after the Lions benching, but I don't know what I was thinking regarding Haynesworth. :doh:

I don't remember any McNabb or Haynesworth compliments.

Sure you do, even as recently as July:

“I love Donovan McNabb,” Shanahan claimed. “He’s one of the better guys you’ll ever be around. You cannot find a better person in the world.”

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS430US430&gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=shanahan+about+donovan+mcnabb

Everything good? Nah, but he didn't hate the guy.

I have watched most of Oakland's games since JC has gone there, DarrelG, and I'm sorry, IMO he is simply not a good deep ball thrower. He has a cannon and the ball looks good in the air... but more often than not, it doesn't land where the receiver can catch it.

That said, I will admit to being surprised by the first part of this stat from football outsiders --

IN 2010 -- "15.5 percent of all of Jason Campbell's throws were of the deep variety. That was the sixth highest percentage in the league. Campbell complete on 14 of 51 deep passes—that is good for 27.45 completion percentage, and that placed him 27th out of 31 in deep pass completion percentage."

Not sure what the stats are so far in 2011.

It's funny I made a post comparing the QB ratings of Campbell, McNabb, Grossman and the opposing quarterback we were playing that week and a Mod moved it to ATL.

Well, that's because that post was 66% about non Redskins. This one is only 50% about former Redskins. :silly:

It's funny I made a post comparing the QB ratings of Campbell, McNabb, Grossman and the opposing quarterback we were playing that week and a Mod moved it to ATL.

They moved your thread to Atlanta? Holy crap.

I know the mods like creative punishments, but that seems a little extreme.

I have watched most of Oakland's games since JC has gone there, DarrelG, and I'm sorry, IMO he is simply not a good deep ball thrower. He has a cannon and the ball looks good in the air... but more often than not, it doesn't land where the receiver can catch it.

That said, I will admit to being surprised by the first part of this stat from football outsiders --

IN 2010 -- "15.5 percent of all of Jason Campbell's throws were of the deep variety. That was the sixth highest percentage in the league. Campbell complete on 14 of 51 deep passes—that is good for 27.45 completion percentage, and that placed him 27th out of 31 in deep pass completion percentage."

Not sure what the stats are so far in 2011.

No offense but I wish people would use the quote feature when they 'disagree' with something.

Because I never said JC was hitting the deep ball in Oakland.

If there's one thing I really believe in is football honesty.

I've watched almost all of the Raiders game this year too and I'll be the first to admit or say that JC had been terrible w/ his deep ball in Oakland this year.

I haven't seen the number but it can't be good especially playing without Ford (until recently), DHB (until recently, who is still learning to play pro WR) and without Murphy his leading WRs from last year.

My statement:

People like to forget stuff that doesn't fit their memory.

JC was a good deep ball thrower that was handcuffed by coaching then beaten into submission by lack of pass protection.

I know no one reads these links but Campbell used to actually have a good deep ball:

September 9, 2009, 6:15 am Jim Zorn as a Coach: Where Did the Risk-Taker Go?http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/jim-zorn-as-a-coach-where-did-the-risk-taker-go/

Jason was good deep ball thrower, just click the link above.

There was a also a thread in this forum from 2008/9 that showed JC was middle of the pack deep ball thrower.

And even going back to Auburn he was a good deep ball thrower.

For me its not a question of ability.

But, then again it would require an actual football discussion to discuss the factors that effect deep ball comp %: scheme, pass protection, WR ability etc.

For example we all know (or at least I think we do) that Cutler has a great deep ball but if you look at his deep ball comp % from last year its terrible.

I was a big Campbell defender when he was here but I've watched a few Raiders games and he hasn't progressed at all. He threw two bad picks against the Patriots that gave me horrible Zorn/Cerrato era flashbacks. He's just an journeyman QB like Rex and he wouldn't make this team any better if he were still the Skins QB. Same with Beck and Mcnabb. The QB that will take us back to the top is still in college right now. The rest of these guys are just stopgaps.

Jason was good deep ball thrower, just click the link above.

There was a also a thread in this forum from 2008/9 that showed JC was middle of the pack deep ball thrower.

And even going back to Auburn he was a good deep ball thrower.

For me its not a question of ability.

campbell was never a good deep ball thrower. he was good with intermediate passes that go for about 15-20 yards. i consider deep ball 30+ yards hitting a receiver in stride. campbell could never do that. i dont judge qb's on stats like in your link. those stats figure in YAC. he could of thrown a 5 yard screen that went for 50 yards, and it would look like he threw a 50 yard bomb. most stats are misleading, i dont need stats i watched him play. hes a bad qb.

campbell was never a good deep ball thrower. he was good with intermediate passes that go for about 15-20 yards. i consider deep ball 30+ yards hitting a receiver in stride. campbell could never do that. i dont judge qb's on stats like in your link. those stats figure in YAC. he could of thrown a 5 yard screen that went for 50 yards, and it would look like he threw a 50 yard bomb. most stats are misleading, i dont need stats i watched him play. hes a bad qb.

Okay, but when you post like above you invite people to reply like this:

campbell was always a good deep ball thrower. he was good with intermediate passes that go for about 15-20 yards. i consider deep ball 30+ yards hitting a receiver in stride. campbell could always do that. i dont judge qb's on stats like in your link. those stats figure in YAC that every QB in the league is effected by not only JC. every QB could of thrown a 5 yard screen that went for 50 yards, and it would look like he threw a 50 yard bomb. most stats are misleading, i dont need stats i watched him play. hes a average qb with potential.

Archived