Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell Vs Rex Gossman

Highway66

Campbell > Rex

JC was the kind of QB that Shanahan would have liked. Good mobility, strong arm, great play action

That doesn't make sense. If you remember, we signed Grossman to be our backup well before we traded away Jason and traded for McNabb.

I don't think they even envisioned Campbell as the backup here.

There's a huge difference between signing a vet and building a team around a first round QB.

I wonder if those who say JCs inaccurate, realize his career 60% comp % is higher than Grossman has ever had LIFE! Grossman is a confident QB, but he is by no means better than Campbell.

i could care less if JC's completion rate is higher, especially with the propensity that JC has to checkdown, one would expect it to be. statistics dont tell the whole story in this case.

I do actually wish we never traded away Jason Campbell, it really blew up in our faces. He was spectacularly mediocre, but he was consistent and has a better arm than Rex. If I could do it again, I would keep Campbell so we wouldn't have to go through McRibb and Rexy, who were a lot worse than JC. I would rather have a consistently top 16 QB then scraping the bottom of the barrel which we have been doing since he left. But obviously if JC were here right now, I would still draft a QB in the first like we most likely will. JC got better every single year he was in Washington, and while I doubt he will ever break out, he did put up some pretty decent numbers with a offensive line that was probably bottom 5 or 10 and no receivers or running game, like in 2009, where the line was terrible, cooley was out, and we were running with fearsome Ladell Betts.

This is a joke, right? Seriously, you're not that blind are you? When it comes to the deep ball, Grossman is miles better than Jason, and they fear him (Rex) more than JC. Grossman takes chances. Grossman will pass it deep, short, midway. With JC, you MAY have to worry about one deep pass over thrown by 10 yards a game. He, himself, takes away a good percentage of the field from his offense. It makes any defense's job easier. All they have to do is worry about the run. Seriously, do some research.

Seriously, you need to do the research. JC has thrown (air distance) 24 passes this season that were over 21 yards. Grossman has thrown 10. Neither one of them can hit the receiver, but JC has taken more than twice as many chances downfield.

i could care less if JC's completion rate is higher, especially with the propensity that JC has to checkdown, one would expect it to be. statistics dont tell the whole story in this case.

And why do you think JC checked down so much??? NO PROTECTION! Idk what it's gonna take for some people to understand it, a QB must be protected in order to see all his reads. Grossman is fortunate to have this OL, Campbell did not and now our fan base will continue to watch JC outperform Grossman. I mean hell, we traded him and traded for McNabb, only to watch JC outperform him as well! Lol

That doesn't make sense. If you remember, we signed Grossman to be our backup well before we traded away Jason and traded for McNabb.

I don't think they even envisioned Campbell as the backup here.

There's a huge difference between signing a vet and building a team around a first round QB.

MS left the door open for Jason to be the backup.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/04/shanahan_will_allow_campbell_t.html

"He wants an opportunity to start for a football team," Shanahan repeated. "I said hey, the chances are that you'll have that opportunity. Take a look and if you find something that you like, it'll work out. If not come back here after the draft and stay on our football team. He's a guy that works extremely hard, he's got high character, and we're going to keep the best players. You can never have enough QBs....You can't just bring a guy in off the street."

Campbell > Rex

JC was the kind of QB that Shanahan would have liked. Good mobility, strong arm, great play action

The guy couldn't read defenses and was constantly lost on the field. He couldn't even checkdown if the 1st WR wasn't available. Everyone else was always to blame for Campbell's failures except Campbell.

---------- Post added October-14th-2011 at 07:13 PM ----------

Are you high? Sexy Rexy doesn't have a quicker release than anybody.

??? :wtf: You are kidding right? Grossman has a very quick release. It's one of his strengths.

Again, if Grossman had Campbell's physical attributes he'd look like a Pro Bowler, at least in this offense. Definitely more accurate, definitely better at reading defenses, quick release.

Probably wouldn't fix the pocket presence (though being 6'4 instead of 6'1 can't hurt as well as being somewhat mobile) but Drew Bledsoe was a pretty good QB despite having below average presence.

Can't really think of a true weakness beyond that.

lol alot of angst created by an average qb and a below average one. JC is a solid qb an average game manager that will make the ocassional big play. Rex is a below average qb who makes absolute head scratching stupid mistakes at the wrong times. Rex is good and bad alot of times in the same quarter Jason is just sorta always eh does't make a ton of dumb mistakes but doesn;t make many plays either because he doesn't have enough guts to stick things in tight spaces he hardly ever thows a wr open he has to see it 1st then he throws. An affliction alot of average qb's have.

Rex throws a bad deep ball has accuracy issues galore and I'm convinced now has a blind spot at the lb level in the middle of the football field. But he's a gunslinger can get real hot and make things happen .

JC is better but thats not saying a whole lot really.

And why do you think JC checked down so much??? NO PROTECTION! Idk what it's gonna take for some people to understand it, a QB must be protected in order to see all his reads. Grossman is fortunate to have this OL, Campbell did not and now our fan base will continue to watch JC outperform Grossman. I mean hell, we traded him and traded for McNabb, only to watch JC outperform him as well! Lol

JC still checks down and his OL is fine. its who he is.

through grossman is by no means the answer, id much rather have him here over JC.

Please go back and watch any game where JC had all the time in the world to throw the ball due to great pass protection. I admit it was rare but there were occasions. One comes to mind but I'm sure everyone can chime in on others. The Bengals in 2008; JC had ALL day in the pocket and could manage squat.

http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/2008121407

This happened way more often that not. Remember all the posts with video break down of him missing WR's running down the middle completely un-covered? Do you watch Raider games? It's McFadden who is tearing it up and teams crowd the line to stop the run which opens up the passing game/play action. The raiders lead the NFL in rushing currently. You think that might help the passing game? Even still, JC isn't exactly tearing it up in passing. Did you watch the first game against Denver? Awful. How about his 'good game' against the Pats? http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/10/02/jason-campbell-comes-up-short-the-raiders-lose-and-those-things-are-related/

Who cares about either? It's all about Colt Brennan who is: 0 for 0 for 0 yards in his professional career! We sure do regret releasing him like a lot of people said. :ols:

Maybe he can play in the Lingerie Football League, but Colt in that would turn off even the hardest Cultist (pun?).

The bigger question is, who do I start in fantasy, Rex or Campbell? I have Rivers and he's on his bye, so those are my two best options in my mind. I'm going with Campbell right now because I have Mcfadden on my team and he's good for a screen pass for a TD, lol. That'll be big for me as it'll be double the points in one play. But I also have Fred Davis starting, though I'm not as sure about Rex getting the ball to him as much as the first two games since the last two have been tough sledding.

Fantasy forums stink here, what do you guys think? This is obviously more important than any other discussion going on in here. :pfft:

lol, that was the best argument ever. "If you remove all of the bad things that player does for his career, hes actually very good".

i wish i could have done that in school. "Teach, just ignore all those questions i got wrong, look at the right ones and just use those!!"

If you take it one step further and turn his interceptions into touchdowns, he's one of the best QBs in the league!

The bigger question is, who do I start in fantasy, Rex or Campbell?:

Go with Campbell against Cleveland. I think the Skins will keep it on the ground as much as they can so bad Rex doesn't have many opportunities to show up. Btw, if Dalton is available, I would add him this week and start him. Drop Rex for Dalton.

Like it or not, Redskins would have been better off keeping Mcnabb in town. I know he is not doing anything in Minnesota, but that team overall is just poopy this year.

McNabb is D-O-N-E.

Grossman outplayed him last year. At worst, they were on the same level.

At least Shanny admitted his mistake and moved on.

I bet Grossman would be killing it if he were on the Raiders right now (for the most part)...

Im not so sure about that! Infact, IMO I highly doubt that any team in the NFL other than the Skins would have Rex as a Starting QB. If we Cut Rex he'll be lucky to find a spot on a team as a backup QB

Im not so sure about that! Infact, IMO I highly doubt that any team in the NFL other than the Skins would have Rex as a Starting QB. If we Cut Rex he'll be lucky to find a spot on a team as a backup QB

I didn't say the Raiders would sign Grossman if he were a free agent...I said if Grossman were the starter on the Raiders right now he'd probably end up doing rather well because they have a ridiculous running game and Rex definitely is better than Campbell when it comes to play action, the mid-range passing game, reading defenses and in the speed of his release.

I didn't say the Raiders would sign Grossman if he were a free agent...I said if Grossman were the starter on the Raiders right now he'd probably end up doing rather well because they have a ridiculous running game and Rex definitely is better than Campbell when it comes to play action, the mid-range passing game, reading defenses and in the speed of his release.

I dunno,I'll say agree to disagree.

Archived