Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Underdogs at home.....vs Squeagles this week....thoughts? ?

skinsnut1823

Good. I'm glad we're "underdogs" this week. I hope it keeps our guys working and theirs overly confident.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 09:12 AM ----------

I'm an Eagles fan, and for the life of me can't understand why the Skins would be underdogs, and I'm not using reverse psychology.....

One question, if this continues to be bad, with a win here or there, how long do you think Reid lasts?

One question, if this continues to be bad, with a win here or there, how long do you think Reid lasts?

Depends how it "goes down". If the locker room implodes and they finish 5-11 or 6-10 with minimal excuses (i.e. minimal injuries), I could see Reid either quitting or getting fired. However, I can also see Reid doing as he's done in the past and pulling it together, winning more than losing down the stretch. Maybe that's good enough for playoffs or maybe not. I do know he's been supposedly in "hot water" for several years in a row.

I like Reid, but I've also said I don't think the Eagles can win a SB with him. However, he's made the playoffs 9/12 years he's coached them, so not sure how much loyalty he gets/deserves. I do remember the coaches that preceeded him, so personally I'm not all that anxious to see him fired before rolling the coaching dice.

Eagles are a better team, better players and their record is all because of their scheme. If and when they do figure out the problem and fix the scheme then we will see a much better team. I hope they dont figure it out until a few weeks from now and not this Sunday. They are bound to win a game here, odds are against us (again) facing a team that is desperatley in need of a win. I thought about it last week as well vs the Bills but the Bills were able to close the game out. Lets hope we can do the same.

Hail

Eagles are a better team, better players and their record is all because of their scheme. If and when they do figure out the problem and fix the scheme then we will see a much better team.

I disagree with the premise of this

The Eagles fundamentally have issues on the team that can not be "fixed" this year

The problems I see on the team is the same I saw in preseason.

Defensively there linebackers are substandard

There linebackers are small and they are slow

They can not stop the run

They are currently ranked 30th overall in the league with an average of surrenduring over 140 yards per game

And they can not stop opposing teams tight ends because of the problems at linebacker

And Namdi is being asked to play differently then he was playing in Oakland and surrendering many more catches then he ever has in the past

You can't fix those problems with a scheme change

Offensively they are turning the ball over at an alarming rate. 15 turnovers in 5 games.

They are also unable to score TD's in the red zone

And most importantly Vick has been taking a beating

Some of those are scheme related.

But your not magically going to fix all of those problems the Eagles have because of the schemes they run

And as far as our chances in this game I like them. Provided we pound the rushing game all game and don't get away from it I think we can win this one by a TD

Eagles are a better team, better players and their record is all because of their scheme. If and when they do figure out the problem and fix the scheme then we will see a much better team. I hope they dont figure it out until a few weeks from now and not this Sunday. They are bound to win a game here, odds are against us (again) facing a team that is desperatley in need of a win. I thought about it last week as well vs the Bills but the Bills were able to close the game out. Lets hope we can do the same.

The thing that bothers me about this game is that so far, the Eagles have had just about all the bad breaks going against them. Despite all of the mistakes they've made their offense has been extremely explosive and all it takes is a day of mistake free football and with Grossman at the helm I'm not so sure that Washington will be able to keep up.

With regards to their scheme, I don't see that changing anytime soon. On offense Reid is a pigheaded as ever and on defense they just miss the players to make it work. Not a single one of their starting linebackers would find themselves in that same starting role on another NFC East team, let alone the NFL. That group is awful, and as good as their corners are, their safeties are another pathetic group.

It doesn't help that they're going to be missing Cole for a few more weeks, and that's about the only reason why I'm quietly optimistic that Washington might just pull one out here.

The Eagles will have their hands full trying to keep up with our TEs, and given the nature of the Eagles offense, I have a feeling that the Washington run game will eventually wear that defense down. To me the game will be won or lost on how well Washington can contain that offense. Peters being out is going to be huge going up against our pass rush, and we have play makers littered all over the defense that can make a difference against the Eagles pass heavy scheme.

One thing that will cause the Skins to lose would be patience.

Everyone knows LL is anxious to go out and try to level somebody, and the harder he tries to do this, the longer the night will be.

If both teams come out focused and determined, it will be a classic dogfight; if either comes out trying to make a point, they will lose.

Last year's beat-down left a bitter taste in the Skins locker room, and we all know they want revenge, but the worst thing the Skins can do is hit the field with mouths running that their actions cannot back up...

How are you going to try to pin this one the play of one guy....????

This is such a put-up-or-shut-up game for the Skins. It's the first real barometer to see if they really are a better team than in recent years, or have just benefited from a soft schedule thus far.

But this is exactly the type of game that the Redskins have lost, and lost badly, over the past few seasons. Hate to say it, but if I were a betting man, I'd go all in on the Eagles.

It started as a pick'em game, then the Eagles were laying 1, now 1½. I'm thinking that a ton of people laying $50, and $100 bets are all taking the Eagles because they look better on paper. The wise guys are probably biding their time and seeing where the spread goes to before they start laying hundred's of thousands on the Redskins.

You actually see this happen a lot with games that float around pick'em, 3 points or 7 points.

I've heard a lot of people say "Eagles are better on paper". I'm not so sure I agree especially with Eagles best OL & DL players out for the game. Let's look at it right now:

Better units:

Skins OL, S, LB, DL, TE

Eagles: QB, RB, WR, CB

ST are a wash between the two.

I've been saying this for a while. I've heard a number of people say that it's only a matter of time until Vick, McCoy and Jackson get it going and that will cure the Eagles problems. The problem is that those three have been going.all season. It's not been the lack of star power that has been hurting the Eagles. It's the fact that they have 2 or 3 absolute cyphers on the defensive side of the ball and their O-line is sketchy as well. So while people are all googly-eyed about the star power they completely miss the fact that the Eagles are giving up 140 rushing yards a game at 5 yards a pop,

I've been wondering something about the Eagles potent offense that I was hoping someone who has reviewed alot of tape of their games would be able to shed some light on, for me.

One of the wildly successful plays for the Eagles this season has been the WR screen to Jackson. I wouldn't say he's the slot receiver, but for the sake of this example let's say he's the inside receiver, closer to the QB than the sideline. Point is, he is always sprung for a huge gain, because the outside receiver comes in and blocks the CB covering Jackson. How is that not a block in the back? It looks incredibly blatant every time, and always goes for a huge gain. Side note: how have we faired against screen plays this year? Interesting...

The Eagles are a better team on paper. They have the talent, they just need to get their act together. They are suffering the same problems we suffered when we were stuffed with free agency talent but couldn't get any cohesion. Vick has lost the locker room in Philly.

The skins have cohesion but don't have the grade 'A' talent (at least on the offensive side). Our D is beast though and they are all on the same page.

I disagree with some of your points (see: 'bold' highlighted point in your post).

I live 18 miles east of 'Philthy-delphia' (lived there for 7 years; although I'm a native-born Ba-Tutsi/Congolese, who grew-up in DC).

Vick hasn't 'lost' the 'Beagles Nest', because he NEVER quite HAD it. You'd have to LIVE up here to realize the "HATERATION" of this area. 'Philthydelphia' is "a SMALL Town MASQUERADING as a BIG City". More like:

The 'Beagles' D-Line is (per the norm) lighter & quick. Their D-Coordinator, Juan Castillo, is a great former OL-Coach, who has NEVER previously worked on the Defensive-side of the football, nor has he EVER been a play-caller - on either side of the line of scrimmage (He's in WAY-over his head here)!?! Their LB's are also small and inexperienced. Their Safeties are... well, 'UN-safe' (i.e.: HORRIBLE). Their 2-NEW CB's (Asomougha & Rogers-Cromartie) are BOTH 'cover-guys': ill-suited to ZONE schemes. And (the icing on the cake), 9 of their 11 defenders FLAT-OUT CANNOT TACKLE!?! Their 'BACK-7' is WELL-BELOW NFL standards (i.e.: they are 'SOFT-as-COTTON' up-the-middle)!!!

Their OL 'stinks' (they're FAR-WORSE than Our OL was in 2010 - particularly, at PASS Protection)!!! They run 99% of their Offensive plays OUTSIDE of hash-marks (i.e.: 'FAST-BREAK' Offense; 'gimmicky' - but, DANGEROUS)... They only lead the NFL in 'Rushing', due to Vick's 70-plus 'scrambling-for-dear-life' ypg. If our LB's & Secondary 'LAY-WOOD' on (i.e.: knock the 'excrement' outta) their talented - but, 'SQUISHY-SOFT' finesse WR's - EARLY, then they'll develop the desired 'alligator-arms' we love!!!

MY keys:

(1.) on OFFENSE - (a.) Run 'The (Mike Shannahan 'Zone-Stretch') RIGGO-Drill' on their 'Cottenelle' butts - "til their wheels come off"; and, (b.) Limit Rex's 'Pass-Happiness' (at the behest of Kyle) via a VARIETY Screens, Draws, Dashes, Rollouts, Bootlegs, Stretches, 'Play-Action', and 'Run-Action' (like Aaron Rogers & The Packers run - to PERFECTION)!!! Can you say: 70%-30% RUN-Pass Ratio?!? (c.) EMPHASIZING 'BALL SECURUTY'!

(2.) on DEFENSE - (a.) 'BLOW-UP' their 'janky' OL on EVERY-SINGLE DOWN (Wreak HAVOC)!!! (b.) We NEED to EMPHASIZE that our DE's/OLB's MUST "CONTAIN! CONTAIN! CONTAIN! (DO NOT give those 'vaginal slings'/The 'Beagles' RB's, QB's,etc., the EDGE - OUTSIDE of the Tackle-Box, AT ANY TIME)!!! (b.) 'ASSAULT & BATTER' Vick (LEGALLY) on EVERY Pass-Play/Scramble!!! (c.) Safeties/Corners/Linebackers MUST NOT 'Bite' on 'Double-Moves' or GET BEAT 'OVER-the-TOP' (i.e.: KEEP those 'Puke-Green-Wearing' Female Dogs IN-FRONT of them, AT ALL TIMES!!! (d.) CREATE TURNOVERS: INT's & FUMBLES! And, (e.) TACKLE! TACKLE! TACKLE!

(3.) on TEAMS: (a.) We SHOULD be kicking XPT's - NOT FG's (Scoring OVER 30 points)! (b.) Sav should just be, well... Sav. (c.) ZERO Turnovers by The REDSKINS! (d.) 'MIGHTY-MITE' is OVERDUE to Break ONE (or, MORE?!?) KR/PR...

In closing: HOW DARE The Odds-Makers make US "Underdogs" in OUR HOUSE?!? The PAST is THE PAST.

Despite the fact that the Redskins are playing much better football than the Eagles, I can understand the reason why the Eagles are favorites to win this game. And it really has nothing to do with them. It has everything to do with the Redskins. For the past two games against the Cowboys and Rams, the Redskins barely played well enough to win. Although the Redskins had a legitimate opportunity to defeat Dallas, the Cowboys still came out the winner. Against the Rams, considering how sharp and aggressive the defense was, the offense couldn't generate no more than three points in the second half. Grossman has thrown INTs to the defense at crucial times the past two games. This has nothing to do with the game at Fed Ex Field against Philly last year because we had already defeated them at Lincoln Financial Field earlier last season.

Rex Grossman must take better care of the football. If the Eagles win, it will be because of a costly Grossman miscue.

Had the Rams WR's not droped the ball so often we may have lost because of our defense.

Honestly.. I consider us underdogs as well. The Eagles Smoked our bacon last year! They always seem to woop us at home...

I kinda got that same feeling I had when we played Dallas... I'm not so sure we can keep pace with them as far as scoring goes. the Eagles are 1-4, but, they are putting up some good offensive numbers. All I know is, if the Skins wanna be taken seriously, this is the type of game they better damn well win. We'll be facing a Philly team that will be playing like this is their superbowl.. no holds barred, no calls held back. This will be one heck of a tough game to win IMO.

The Redskins are going to be facing a very wounded ferocious animal that has a lot of killing power.
I thought Mike Vick killed all his dogs? Wow that joke makes me feel bad after I said it. I'm sorry...I know Vick has apologized profusely, but I cannot get it out of my head. What type of man tortures and kills dogs? I know humans are put above dogs, and Vick should get his life back, but name me a kid that did not have a tear in their eye when Old Yeller got shot? Sorry, I just took myself out there on a tangent after making a bad joke. Bleh.

I sincerely hope the Redskins embarrass Vick on the field.

This game opened at Skins -1, but since then 70% of the bets have come in on the Eagles. Now it's Skins +1.5. I think the sharps are on the Skins, and holding off so they can get the Skins with most points possible. I doubt it gets to 3, but I bet by game time this spread sees +2.5, and if I see it, I'm grabbing it. Small play though, I can see the game going bad, but I think with 2.5 points, the chances are better than 52.3%, which is enough to have a winning expectation.

The books might be reluctant to move this game further than where it now, because even though only a small percentage of games end up as ties or decided by 1 or 2 points, the Redskins have played 2 such games already this year. I don't know if the books would see that as an anomaly, or if they would see it as evidence that Redskins are likely to play exceptionally close games.

Eagles are a better team, better players and their record is all because of their scheme
I totally disagree. A team are players that come together and work together towards winning the game in unison. I think the Eagles are a collection of very good players that play at the same time. I think the Redskins are the better team.

The Redskins won their games this year by a total of 4 plays including a 1 play win when they were 3 plays ahead with about 5 minutes remaining and a QB like Vick could play awful the whole game but get that 1 play for the win. That is, just 1 good quarter by the Eagles could kill us while 3+ good quarters by us an the Eagles could still be in the game because even if we play well and the Eagles suck, the evidence so far would suggest that we still could only have a play or two advantage late.

Archived