Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Ryan Torain remind you of Riggo

fuji869

Is it me or does Ryan Torain’s running style remind you a little of John Riggins? The way he hits piles and runs over defenders, I saw it on the TD he scored in the game in Philly last season and his 2nd qtr TD today.

In the 1980s we had the Diesel maybe in the 2010s we can have the All Torain Vehicle!

I would say yes. Except that Riggins was stronger, faster, & most importantly ran behind the Hoggs.

For running style, Larry Brown is an apt comparison too. Larry or Kelvin Bryant. I'd like to post some video, but there seems to be very little video of Kelvin Bryant on the Web.

Edit: Couldn't find any video of Kelvin Bryant as a Redskin, but look at this video from the USFL championship he played in. He's in white, number 44.

Fast forward to 1:56, 2:20, and 4:54 to see him run, and tell me his upright, lumbering style doesn't remind you of Ryan Torain.

RuHEfEd3oVQ

He reminds me of Stephen Davis--almost identical runners, IMO. He may be more punishing than Davis was.

I feel this is a much more accurate comparison. 44 and 48 were both great runners in Redskin history, but John was a freak in so many ways.......there are no comparisons

Stephen Davis, except faster and probably takes more unnecessary hits. Riggo was not anywhere near as fast as Torain.

Not sure if you realize this, but 44 was an All-Big 8 (and I believe at least honorable mention All-American) hurdler/sprinter at Kansas. Riggo's speed was by far his most under-appreciated attribute. When you look at film, you are very hard pressed to find clips where the man was caught from behind.

Not sure if you realize this, but 44 was an All-Big 8 (and I believe at least honorable mention All-American) hurdler/sprinter at Kansas. Riggo's speed was by far his most under-appreciated attribute. When you look at film, you are very hard pressed to find clips where the man was caught from behind.

What were his numbers? Fast in the 60s/70s isn't the same kind of fast today.

What were his numbers? Fast in the 60s/70s isn't the same kind of fast today.

Of course this is true, but it leads you to the Babe Ruth vs Albert Pujols type discussions. It is impossible to accurately compare athletes of different generations. All you can do, in this case, is to compare the two RB's to the guys who are/were chasing them. Sounds very simplistic, but true just the same. When John was in the open field, and in top gear, he was VERY rarely tracked down.

Archived