Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Ryan Torain remind you of Riggo

fuji869

Is it me or does Ryan Torain’s running style remind you a little of John Riggins? The way he hits piles and runs over defenders, I saw it on the TD he scored in the game in Philly last season and his 2nd qtr TD today.

In the 1980s we had the Diesel maybe in the 2010s we can have the All Torain Vehicle!

He reminds me of Stephen Davis--almost identical runners, IMO. He may be more punishing than Davis was.

That's a good comparison. I'd love another Davis, a punisher that could always get the tough yard. Torain just needs to stay healthy and stay on the field.

We could use Hightower as a 3rd down back, where I think he'll be successful blocking, catching screen passes and running upfield, and running draw plays. Torain and Helu can handle the heavy lifting.

Damn, I like our team this year. We're so physical.

I am the farthest thing from a blind homer.

But he reminds me of Adrian Peterson all day.

Minus the break away speed... but Vision, Balance, Moves, Punishing Style, is Identical to Peterson.

That being said, he hasn't shown the ability to pass protect well or catch the ball consistantly.

Being born in 1990, Riggo is kind of like a mystical creature i hear my dad and other older skins babble about. Kind of like a legend told by camp fires. hahaha

But ive seen a couple highlight reels of course (and what kind of skins fan would i be if i had never seen the old SB's?), and i can see what your talking about. The hit on that first run reminded me of the famous touchdown run where he trucked that CB on the left side. Then again, Riggo loved to punch it right up the middle, Torain seems more comfortable as a one cut on the left.

Torain, at 6'1" and 218, is quite a bit smaller than Riggins, but he seems sizeable enough when he's blasting into a safety. It's interesting to note that all three of our backs are essentially the same size (listed as weighing 218, 219 (Helu) and 222 (Hightower), but even commentators think Helu is smaller than Hightower because he's more elusive, and that Torain is a bigger "power" back.

Torain, at 6'1" and 218, is quite a bit smaller than Riggins, but he seems sizeable enough when he's blasting into a safety. It's interesting to note that all three of our backs are essentially the same size (listed as weighing 218, 219 (Helu) and 222 (Hightower), but even commentators think Helu is smaller than Hightower because he's more elusive, and that Torain is a bigger "power" back.

That's interesting, you would have no idea they're all the same weight by the way people describe them. Helu has really impressed me so far this year, even after Torrain's game today, I still have to say I'm most excited about Helu's play thus far. He is as quick as a typical speedy third down back, but has the size and moves of a #1 back. I think he could be an elite player for us at some time.

No I think Torain hits the hole quicker and has better acceleration.......... Riggins had power and pushed through a hole or simply pushed the linemen in front of him for 3 or 4 yards. When he did get a good opening though look out he had great speed and accel for a big man. Very, very hard to drag down for less than a yard gain. :)

Dan :)

Great point ... just goes to show how influential a back's running style truly can be. All I know is that juke move Torain put on today behind the LOS and the spin move were both unbelievable. Peterson-esque.

Guest Spearfeather
No I think Torain hits the hole quicker and has better acceleration.......... Riggins had power and pushed through a hole or simply pushed the linemen in front of him for 3 or 4 yards. When he did get a good opening though look out he had great speed and accel for a big man. Very, very hard to drag down for less than a yard gain. :)

Dan :)

Riiggins hit the hole quick if it was there. I'd say as quick as Torain, but Riggins had just as much speed, better balance, and more power.

Torain waits for a whole te develope.

So did Riggo; he just didn't have to wait as long. ;-> There's probably better footage out there, but go to the :58 second mark and admire how a guy that big can do what he did. (Warning: for those of you 40+, this is the most heart-rending game in Redskins history.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQKQStyhVME

I agree with Peterson-esque, in fact, he was threatening Peterson's record early in the Tampa game last year. Getting yards the same way Peterson does.

In a fully established, solid Shanny run system, I think he very well could do Peterson numbers. 750yds in only ten games last year is pretty damn good.

But I'm not sure he would get the full carries each game for a full season the way Shanny's using the RBs. Which is awesome btw. Shanny talked about using Helu the second half a couple weeks ago as "bringing in some fresh legs". It's like, pick your poison, we have a sort-of Adrian Peterson as our #3 haha.

Talk about lacking depth in the past. RB is SET. Even if/when different guys have to be brought in, I'm already convinced the stories of "Shannahan the RB genius" are true.

Archived