Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else worried about our special teams?

Sellersfan

I'll take a wait and see approach..... at least for one more week.

Gano... did great in preseason. But on the big stage is 0-1.... With that being said it was one FG, I would be surprised if any kickers makes all their FG this year. But that cant be a confidence builder missing the first one of the year.... Come on Gano we need you this year, get it together.

Puntting was great..... Keep up the great work Rocca!!

Kick returns.... We all know Banks can take it to the house, and will get his opportunities.... The blocks in the back are a concern, but it was one play. Im sure Danny got in his ear after words, and should be on him all week about getting clean blocks... Lets just hope it doesn’t happen often, or especially when Banks takes it to the house.

That call against Jackson was debatable. He was behind his guy but did not hit him until he got to his side and then lunged towards his chest. It's close, but Jackson needs to know that refs aren't going to be all meticulous about it and will call it at any hint of a block in the back. Just get in the way and raise your hands at least.

Since I am always so negative about Danny Smith, I will say that Sunday I give the Special Teams a B.

they had the one penalty, and they did miss the kick.. but the blocked field goal was huge, not only in that we did it, but it demoralized the Giants. Coughlin throwing his gum in slow motion is almost as good as Spurrier's quack lips

(OK so maybe not... but it was good.)

Rocca punted well.

Doughty did make a big hit on a kickoff return on the sidelines.

Banks had a 25 yard return.

So, Smith is not in my doghouse yet.

~Bang

So if D or O players have penalties, how come I don't see any calls out for Haslett or Kyle? There are a lot of turn over in the ST. I understand the frustration but blame solely on Smith is not warrant. The next guy who replace him might be worse. Until we're stable with the unit, we can't get piss. They're still exciting to watch.

So if D or O players have penalties, how come I don't see any calls out for Haslett or Kyle? There are a lot of turn over in the ST. I understand the frustration but blame solely on Smith is not warrant. The next guy who replace him might be worse. Until we're stable with the unit, we can't get piss. They're still exciting to watch.

Because the special teams are on the field about 20 times a game, if that many.

sunday there were 20 special teams plays for both teams. 2 field goal attempts, 6 punts by each team, and 8 kickoffs (4 of which were touchbacks)

the offense got 60 plays the other day. The defense played 52 snaps. Special Teams played 20. (and on four of them just ran down and watched the ball go out of the end zone.)

And, because Special teams are field flipping plays.

And if you make mistakes, you can erase dozens of yards of field position, and damage team morale in one fell swoop.

when a team is down, a big return can ignite a spark. Conversely, that flag on that return is like throwing water on the fire. It's out, no doubt.

And the opposite is true. You screw up and run into a punter and give a defeated team a first down and a spark of life, they can kill you with it.

~Bang

Danny Smith do your job!

I'm sick of the block in the back penalties.

Especially when you have Banks ready to break one at any moment.

Anyone else see the Rob Jackson penalty? Block in the back, which pushed the Giant player into Banks. While it is a kamikaze mentality on coverage, that play could have injured a very slight built Banks.

I gasped because it looked like Banks took the momentum of the two players in his knees.

I have a feeling this area of our game will come back to bite us against the Cards.

Hope I'm wrong.

Actually, Rob Jackson came out of nowhere to blow up the Giants player who was pushed into Miles Austin who then hit Banks at about his hip which knocked him sideways for a step so it looked like he did a hop & continued up field.

The most noticeable thing with Banks was he was determined not to fair catch anything. I kept telling my buddy that with me there that Banks was determined to bust one for a score. And the Giants knew it, as they started to kick away from him shortly after that.

Im always worried about our "Teams" play.. This week Gano gets the attention (again) and Im having a hard time believing he's ever going to get it.. After the shanked FG attempt, it took him the next kickoff and 2 more extra points before he got back to normal.. The last PAT was the only kick to go straight, after the shank.. You could see the frustration on the "line drive" kickoff that went into the stands. Dudes got a cannon leg, but needs some serious work between the ears..

As for D.Smith and the rest of the teams, we all know too well that they still need work (as usual).. Kudos for the block FG, but lets be real, wasn't exactly a drawn up, super executed teams play or anything..

One penalty? SERIOUSLY?

Have you WATCHED Smith's units over the last 7 now going into 8 season's? This is a REGULAR occurrence, often from guys he's worked with for multiple season's. It happen's on WAY too many occasion's for it not to be more than a concern. It's costly, in both kick returns and kick coverage. Hell, Banks had two return TD's wiped off last year. That should be a MASSIVE flashing red light right there.

Hail.

Yes, it's frustrating, but Danny can't be out there with the players. How many different ways can he say "Don't contact a non-ballcarrying member of the opposing team from behind and above the waist". After a while it's on the players to use their brains and go "Thats his back, I can't hit him there".

And as a coach if you correct one person with the above, and then someone else does it, you go down the line.

Yes, it's frustrating, but Danny can't be out there with the players. How many different ways can he say "Don't contact a non-ballcarrying member of the opposing team from behind and above the waist". After a while it's on the players to use their brains and go "Thats his back, I can't hit him there".

And as a coach if you correct one person with the above, and then someone else does it, you go down the line.

Yes, you're exactly right

And no matter how many times he says it, the fact they still don't get it would not possibly lead one to believe that he is not able to convey the message.

No matter how often the players he's responsible for screw up, he is in fact not responsible.

Oh, to be Danny Smith, where a simple but oh-so intense chomp of the gum and an exclamation of "I told 'em not to do it!" is more than enough to wash away all culpability for the consistent sloppiness of his players... where a simple shrug of the shoulder and a hearty "whattaya gonna do?" can calm the fear that he may in fact not know what the **** he's doing and has never demonstrated in all his years here why he should be a special teams coach.

Ah yes, Sunday it's that dumb ol' player. last year it's the dopey players, the year before it's those stupid players, and the year before that, those morons...

they just keep doing this to make Danny Smith look bad.

But we won't be fooled. Oh no. Not here in Washington.

We're ready to hang a 3rd round pick out to dry for missing a couple of passes in preseason, but we won't pinch off the turd that is Danny Smith's tenure as special teams' coach even though it's been dangling and stinking it up down there for quite a while.

~Bang

I'ma gona' sit down and go through the game log PDF's and just see how many times we've had the same dumbass penalty's over the years.

Darn you Danny Smith for this. Darn you to Hell! (Or Dallas, whichever is closer.).

Hail.

What I'd like to see is how many yards are lost to them. It might show the yards of the return before the penalty.

We know it cost us two Banks TDs last season.

~Bang

Archived