Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else worried about our special teams?

Sellersfan

Yeah Gano whiffs on the FG, but what about our kick return team.

Danny Smith do your job!

I'm sick of the block in the back penalties.

Especially when you have Banks ready to break one at any moment.

Anyone else see the Rob Jackson penalty? Block in the back, which pushed the Giant player into Banks. While it is a kamikaze mentality on coverage, that play could have injured a very slight built Banks.

I gasped because it looked like Banks took the momentum of the two players in his knees.

I have a feeling this area of our game will come back to bite us against the Cards.

Hope I'm wrong.

Block in the backs happen to every single team, it sucks but some donk always commits it.

But yes, im worried about Gano. Next week there are going to be some times where we NEED 3 points, and i just dont have any confidence in Gano. Whats even worse, im not sure Gano has any confidence in Gano

Gano worries me. Other than that, Special Teams is a strength on this team.

You can't blame Danny Smith when guys make idiotic plays. Do you think he's coaching them up to block guys in the back? Guys have to play smarter.

So why even HAVE a teams coach if your absolving him of all responsibility for a unit he allegedly coaches?

Hail.

You can't blame Danny Smith when guys make idiotic plays. Do you think he's coaching them up to block guys in the back? Guys have to play smarter.

Uhm... I think if they are blocking in the back, then Danny needs to clean that area up in practice. Speaking of practice, it's been mentioned on these boards that they dont spend alot of time practicing special teams.

Perhaps Smith needs to make this a focus. Especially if we have a game changer in Banks who will take one to the house only to have it called back.

You are that worried over one penalty???? It happens, people make mistakes. it's one penalty.

Agree, I think the overwhelming concern for special teams is the performance or lack there of of Gano, who was one of the worst in the league last year and missed his first attempt this year. I agree it is only one kick, but it follows a season of terrible kicking and a pre season of kicking well.. As I and another poster have commented, he does not appear to be able to kick on a consistant basis in game situations when the points count. That is a problem and one that Danny or the coaching staff needs to address.

YES you absolutely DO BLAME THE COACH WHEN HIS PLAYERS MAKE IDIOTIC PLAYS!

ESPECIALLY when they do it as consistently as the Redskins do.

Undisciplined mistake prone players = COACHING PROBLEM.

If it's not, then why the hell have coaches at all? The coaches are supposed to drill these players so they DON'T MAKE MENTAL ERRORS.

And our special teams specialized specialty is making mental errors. Whether it's a bad penalty, a bad snap a bad hold or an inexplicably bad kick, it is what we do.

Jeez, I neve know where this comes from.

The special teams are NOT a strength. They have not BEEN a strength.

Last year they missed ten kicks. These directly cost us football games. We have bad penalties all the damn time from veteran special teams players, and saying that others have penalties is NO excuse.

ESPECIALLY when you have the weapon in Banks.

This year they're already left 3 points on the field (out of a possible 3 they could contribute)

We're not the Patriots. We don't have the luxury of leaving points laying around. When a young team gets the ball in field goal range it MUST BE MADE. Anything inside the 35 MUST GO THROUGH.

there is simply no other way to look at it.

For the life of me, I do not know how anyone can look at the special teams of the Washington Redskins for the last ten years and think it's a strength.

At all.

Don't tell me they've got a nice average covering kicks, they score 18 points a game in the last 3 years, they aren't covering any kicks because they aren't having to kickoff most of the time.

Penalties. Moronic plays. Missed kicks. Horrible punting. And up until Banks, the worst return teams on Planet Earth.)

This has been what our special teams have been.

The OP is right to be afraid of how they will hinder this team. Danny Smith's special teams have done nothing but hinder this team for years.

~Bang

You are that worried over one penalty???? It happens, people make mistakes. it's one penalty.

One penalty? SERIOUSLY?

Have you WATCHED Smith's units over the last 7 now going into 8 season's? This is a REGULAR occurrence, often from guys he's worked with for multiple season's. It happen's on WAY too many occasion's for it not to be more than a concern. It's costly, in both kick returns and kick coverage. Hell, Banks had two return TD's wiped off last year. That should be a MASSIVE flashing red light right there.

Hail.

It wasn't all bad ...

Rocca pins them back—Sav Rocca had a nice punting average of 43 yards but that did not tell the whole story of how good a game he had. He put four of his six punts inside the 20. After years of watching Redskins punters boom kicks into the end zone, it’s good to see. Between Rocca’s work and Graham Gano’s strong kickoffs, the Giants started only one of their final 11 drives past their own 20. That one drive was the result of Rex Grossman’s fourth-quarter fumble.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2011/09/three-and-out-rocca-a-good-find.html

From Perry Riley's Wiki page:

Riley was selected by the Washington Redskins in the fourth round (103rd overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He was signed to a contract on June 18, 2010. He was inactive most of the 2010 season. He played very well during times that he was on the field, but also made costly penalties, most notably he committed a 15 yard block in the back penalty against the Minnesota Vikings, nullifying Brandon Banks' punt return touchdown that would have won the game.[3]

Don't worry it was only one penalty (that cost the game, and is now on the internet forever).

I"m not worried about penalities so much, those can be corrected more easily. I'd be more worried if I had the Chargers special teams and everything was getting blocked or returned for touchdowns.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 01:39 PM ----------

One penalty? SERIOUSLY?

Have you WATCHED Smith's units over the last 7 now going into 8 season's? This is a REGULAR occurrence, often from guys he's worked with for multiple season's. It happen's on WAY too many occasion's for it not to be more than a concern. It's costly, in both kick returns and kick coverage. Hell, Banks had two return TD's wiped off last year. That should be a MASSIVE flashing red light right there.

Hail.

What are the stats on special teams penalities and where do Smith's units rank?

Yea our special teams leaves a lot to be desired, but we arent Chargers bad though. While Gano did miss a kick, we also blocked the opponents FG.

If an NFL coach has to teach players how "not to block in the back" we need some new players. I attribute those silly penalties to bench players being amped to finally get on the field. Our coverage units look to be better then average, I can't recall a return for a TD against us lately.

I"m not worried about penalities so much, those can be corrected more easily. I'd be more worried if I had the Chargers special teams and everything was getting blocked or returned for touchdowns.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 01:39 PM ----------

What are the stats on special teams penalities and where do Smith's units rank?

Special teams stats are all over the place.. it's tough to get a complete picture.

You can look at average returns (offensively)

Average return against...

Punt average.. punt return against average.. field goal stats

But it's hard to find penalty stats.. you have to look at the gamebooks, you can't find "gave up a big return at the worst possible time" stats.. you can see a kick was missed, but nothing to tell you why.

If you look at our coverage stats over the last few years they're not bad, but then again, we haven't kicked off but 3 times a game on average.

Our return stats have been awful. (My favorite stat from Randel el's last season here.. he was the 51st ranked punt returner in a 32 team league, but he was #1 in fair catches. And he was our guy for 3 years.)

Our field goal numbers have been bad. ten missed kicks last year, almost as many the year before.

~Bang

Archived