Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Important Position in ALL Sports?

KDawg

Head coach

I think it's fairly obvious that I meant players. But I'd argue against head coach in pretty much any sport other than football...

Race car driver, this is the single person who either makes or breaks the team

Not a team sport. I'll add that to the OP. I never call racing a sport. It's a skill. :) I consider sports to be team activities (which, by the way, is a very wrong definition of the actual term sport. I'm odd that way)

Racing is 100% a team sport, crew chief, all the people who build the cars.

I guess that makes sense. Hard to argue that. But, I'd say the crew is more like a coaching staff than a team. Best argument I've got :)

There are no other sports than football

I like this answer.

Race car driver, this is the single person who either makes or breaks the team

I thought they had something like a team that gives them pushes and do other stuff on the race course. As for my answer to the question it has to be the goalie. They obviously have a heavy influence on a game...

I thought they had something like a team that gives them pushes and do other stuff on the race course. As for my answer to the question it has to be the goalie. They obviously have a heavy influence on a game...

I like the goalie answer. I also like the quarterback answer. Is there any other reasonable answer?

Yeah, I would suspect it's goalie.

I think we've seen that it's possible (although hard) for a football team to be really good without necessarily having the absolute best QB.

OTOH, an NHL goalie stops how many shots, per game? And the average ones block, what, 90% of them? 95%?

As huge of a difference a QB makes, I have to go with hockey goalie because come playoffs, a hot goalie can carry a weak team. If the other team can't score, they can't win. A QB, on the other hand, has to rely on his OL to block, his receivers to catch the ball, and his defense to stop the other team. When a goalie gets hot, all he needs is his team to put in one fluky goal and he'll do the rest.

and for you, Larry, a Goalie faces on average 30 shots per game. .900 save% is actually very low for a goalie (and .950 is very high). the median goalie with significant playing time last season put up a .914 (and this includes 47 goalies since backups do get a lot of playing time in this league). the #10 goalie put up .922, and the top 4 ranged from .928 to .938

I'd say QB. Just about anybody can be the man in basketball, it doesn't have to be the PG or any specific position. I don't know enough about any other sports to speak intelligently about the positions, but I don't hear of any specific positions talked about the same way QBs are talked about. I think the middle linebacker is the overall toughest, because you have to possess just about every defensive skill (tackling, rushing the passer, covering) to a reasonable degree, and you have to have the knowledge of the game similar to a QB.

The best player on a basketball team, whatever posisiton that happens to be. Since Larry Bird's heyday this almost always seems to be a forward (Jordan), or center (Shaq, Olajuwon), star guards like Chris Paul don't seem to have the impact they once had.

Are pit crews really all that much different? Just seems like they are the NASCAR equivalent of waterboys.

NHL goalies aren't involved in offense and you have to score goals to win.

Disclaimer: I don't like NASCAR, love hockey and am lukewarm towards basketball.

It's truly amazing to see the level of ignorance about racing. Not trying to be rude, just an observation that really surprised me.

On the other hand, SC, even YOU may be wrong in that regard. Jimmie doesn't win 5 titles without Chad. :)

OK, now to the actual topic.

NFL football is the most important sport on earth. The quarterback on a football team is the most important player. Ergo, an NFL quarterback is the most important person in team sports. [/thread]

Archived