Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: ESPN's Jaworski - "With Beck, you can clearly see there's some upside."

Hiro

I hope you had a chance to check out the story in Tuesday's paper about how quarterbacks John Beck and Rex Grossman have quieted some of the skepticism about whether they can succeed in coach Mike Shanahan's offense.

It was impossible to check in with every single media member, analyst and talk show host who has publicly doubted Shanahan's faith in his two passers, but I was able to chat with ESPN's Ron Jaworski about the subject. Jaws, a Pro Bowl quarterback in his day, watched film of the Redskins' first two preseason games before calling last week's game against Baltimore for ESPN.

Jaworski admitted that Beck and Grossman have been better than anticipated, at least in his opinion.

He wouldn't say who he believes should start, but he did say:

"They know what they have in Rex. With Beck, you can clearly see there’s some upside."

Only a few of Jaws' quotes made Tuesday's story, so I'm posting more of his thoughts below. I found them interesting, and I hope you do, too:

"Any concerns should be quieted. I think the regular season will determine if they could be silenced. I think if you put the body of work of both quarterbacks together, you get a very efficient job. I think that’s what Mike Shanahan is looking for. You’re not going to throw for 400 yards, but manage the game well, understand what we’re trying to do. If the big play presents itself, go ahead and take advantage of it.

"I was very impressed with the first three — again they are preseason games, so you always preface it that way — but I like what I saw. Rex, I saw him late last year. I thought there were times when he looked tremendous and there were times where there were the headscratchers again.

"That’s been kind of the history of Rex. He can make plays that are mind-boggling, wow. And then the next series he’ll just make a mistake. ...He said he’s just got to eliminate the 'Bad Rex.' It’s so true. The guy can make a number of great plays. There’s always just that one head-scratcher. But I think he has a very good grasp of the offense. He ran that 2-minute drill the other night to perfection. You could see he just knows what he’s doing.

"In regards to Beck, I will admit I was pleasantly surprised. I hadn’t seen John in a couple years in a game — in fact no one has — but I was down on the field pre-game and was watching the guys warm up. I like to see the ball spin. I like to see it come out of their hand. I look at tape and I get an idea. You watch a game on TV and you get an idea. But I just like to see the release, the ball come out of their hand, the mechanics, all those things.

"I thought John had really improved his arm strength. I knew he had spent a lot of time with Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. When Rodgers came out, he did not have the arm strength he has now. ...You could see the epiphany over a few years. I’m not going to put Beck in that same category, but I’m seeing the similarities. When Beck got in the game they started attacking down the field. They were more aggressive with the playcalling to take advantage of what has become a pretty darn strong arm.

Click on the link for the rest of the story:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2011/sep/1/espns-jaworski-beck-you-can-clearly-see-upside/?cache

A lot of what he said is what's been talked about already, but Jaws does know QBs and it's encouraging to hear this from him.

Jaws, love him or hate him, does know his **** when it comes to QBs. I don't think we can go wrong with either QB. I think Beck has a higher ceiling but the range of his performances can be vast. He might utterly bomb. Grossman, he'll have some good games and bad games.

I think we're going with Beck. Because why not. If Beck somehow becomes a gamechanger at the QB position, then awesome. If he utterly fails we can bring in a guy like Rex who will do a good job but not be consistently great. The Shanahans want to know what we have in Beck and the only way we'll find out is to play him.

Click on the link for the rest of the story:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2011/sep/1/espns-jaworski-beck-you-can-clearly-see-upside/?cache

A lot of what he said is what's been talked about already, but Jaws does know QBs and it's encouraging to hear this from him.

Ron Jaworski was a Pro Bowler for one year of his career and was an average QB at best the rest of it. He managed the game and knows the QB position but his opinion is bias at best because he played for the Eagles. I don't value his opinion too highly because of that. But it is good to hear something positive about our QB's from someone in the media. John Gruden also said a lot of good things about them during the game and also went on the record as saying he thinks that Beck will be starter week 1.

Interesting that Jaws talks about Johns strong arm since most of the media and half of ES still think he is a Chad Pennington clone. I think whoever gets the start we are going to be surprising a lot of people with the production at the QB spot. I am intrigued though by playing Beck - Rex might be better right now but if you play John by the end of the year he could be a lot better and we could have us a heck of a QB.

I dislike Jaworski as much as any analyst out there today.

A career average QB that put's himself up as the Eagles greatest by virtue of leading to them their first SB (stop laughing the rookie who took his job, Randall C; or more so our own Sonny J.); when did he suddenly become a QB 'expert?' Most of the time he comes out with some dross to not upset whatever QB he's commenting on, regardless of how poor said player may be playing. And whenever the Eagles are on MNF, he's the biggest homer going. The complete opposite to a guy like Aikman who I should be disliking, but who's both impartial and totally knows his stuff.

I seriously do not like that dude.

GHH nark over, back to the thread at hand .....

Hail.

Ron Jaworski was a Pro Bowler for one year of his career and was an average QB at best the rest of it. He managed the game and knows the QB position but his opinion is bias at best because he played for the Eagles. I don't value his opinion too highly because of that. But it is good to hear something positive about our QB's from someone in the media. John Gruden also said a lot of good things about them during the game and also went on the record as saying he thinks that Beck will be starter week 1.

Couldn't disagree more with this.

A career average QB that put's himself up as the Eagles greatest by virtue of leading to them their first SB (stop laughing the rookie who took his job, Randall C; or more so our own Sonny J.); when did he suddenly become a QB 'expert?' Most of the time he comes out with some dross to not upset whatever QB he's commenting on, regardless of how poor said player may be playing. And whenever the Eagles are on MNF, he's the biggest homer going. The complete opposite to a guy like Aikman who I should be disliking, but who's both impartial and totally knows his stuff.

Hail.

i hate how all these "experts" are so concerned with how the ball comes out and mechanics and this and that.. philip rivers looks half retarded when we throws and hes one of the best qbs out there. sometimes ppl over analyze things

Hail.

So to be a good analyst you have to have been a great player? That makes no sense. Jaws watches a ton of film and sees everyone play in person. I fully respect Jaws more than the majority of analysts out there.

So to be a good analyst you have to have been a great player? That makes no sense.

Not at all. But he sure does like to bask in some great career that in truth was distinctly average around his likewise sycophant colleagues.

Praise the Lord when ESPN did hire him they replaced Theismann. The both of them together would of been beyond nauseating.

Hail.

So to be a good analyst you have to have been a great player? That makes no sense. Jaws watches a ton of film and sees everyone play in person. I fully respect Jaws more than the majority of analysts out there.

totally agree. it blows my mind that there are people out there who would prefer to hear a hall of famer talk out of his butt, than a guy who actually puts in the work and looks at film and comes to his own conclusions. jaws was no worldbeater on the field, but he's one of the few analysts who actually do their homework and form their own opinions based on first-hand observation rather than just trying to parrot the popular narrative (for example, he noticed that Beck actually has a fairly strong arm, contrary to popular perception).

Personally I am good with Rex or Beck and it's funny how most media say we have the worst qb situation in the history of the NFL :rolleyes: but when it's all said and done I think we will be one of the more fortunate teams to have two qb's both able to effectively move the chains. No matter what happens this year if one is benched or hurt (God forbid) it won't be too much of a drop off in production.

totally agree. it blows my mind that there are people out there who would prefer to hear a hall of famer talk out of his butt, than a guy who actually puts in the work and looks at film and comes to his own conclusions. jaws was no worldbeater on the field, but he's one of the few analysts who actually do their homework and form their own opinions based on first-hand observation rather than just trying to parrot the popular narrative (for example, he noticed that Beck actually has a fairly strong arm, contrary to popular perception).

I actually think that Jaws was a lot better than people are giving him credit for. And he is one of the guys that I actually respect on the air because he's not about style. He's about substance. Who cares if he was an Eagle.

I like Jaworski as a football (and esp QB) analyst. You can tell he does his research and puts a lot of thought into his comments. Don't really know much about Jaworski's career in the NFL, and don't really care for that matter.

On the flipside of that, Howie Long and Neon Deion were both great football players, but suck as analysts. There's minimal correlation in my mind.

I know that Rex started 3 games last year and looked similar to 2006, but everyone keeps saying "you already know what you have in Grossman, and Beck has more upside". But is it unreasonable to think that Rex has some upside too? Its been 5 years since he was a regular starter. I think its possible that he has improved and can continue to do so with more game time experience. That being said, I still dont know who I want to be the starter

I know that Rex started 3 games last year and looked similar to 2006, but everyone keeps saying "you already know what you have in Grossman, and Beck has more upside". But is it unreasonable to think that Rex has some upside too? Its been 5 years since he was a regular starter. I think its possible that he has improved and can continue to do so with more game time experience. That being said, I still dont know who I want to be the starter

It's possible, but Rex did play in 8 games with the Bears in 2007 too. It's not a full season, but it's not like he went from playing a full season to nothing at all.

I'm going to support Beck for reasons that don't have a lot to do with football. How many times (for other teams of course) has a QB went from being relatively to completely obscure, to a productive starter? Aren't we finally due one? God knows we've suffered enough.

Brady, Homo and Warner....

Another example is Matt Bowen. I think he usually provides good insight, rather than just soundbytes that don't really mean much, and he was only serviceable at best as a player, though nobody could question his heart and dedication.

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 06:11 PM ----------

Brady, Homo and Warner....

Calling Romo sits to pee that is an insult to gay people lol.

Blomo works better IMO, it's more accurate anyways

I actually think that Jaws was a lot better than people are giving him credit for. And he is one of the guys that I actually respect on the air because he's not about style. He's about substance. Who cares if he was an Eagle.

Kind of ironic, but I think the two broadcasters who I respect the most are Jaws and Troy Aikman.

Archived