Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HT: Why your team won't win the Super Bowl 2011

themurf

shanahan102610.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time for the eighth-annual “Why your team won’t win the Super Bowl” column. So head to Las Vegas and put money on it – this is why your favorite football franchise won’t get it done this year.

Arizona Cardinals – For his career, Kevin Kolb is 3-4 with 11 touchdowns and 21 turnovers (14 interceptions and seven fumbles). In Arizona, that translates into a five-year, $63 million contract.

Atlanta Falcons – The Falcons have won 33 of 48 regular season games over the last three years, while going winless in the playoffs. They’re one more postseason collapse away from moving to San Jose and naming Joe Thornton captain.

Baltimore Ravens – I’m convinced Ricky Williams signed with the Ravens after watching The Wire. Don’t be shocked when he tries to move to Hamsterdam.

Buffalo Bills – I’m pretty sure it’s not a good sign when your team’s best player is your punter. (We miss you, Sean Taylor.)

Carolina Panthers – The Panthers have paid out more than $100 million in signing bonuses this offseason because, any time you have the chance to overpay the core of a 2-14 team, you’ve gotta do it.

Chicago Bears – It’s probably not a good sign that Jay Cutler’s most consistent target during his time in Chicago has been DeAngelo Hall.

Cincinnati Bengals – With Carson Palmer and Chad Ochocinco gone, the Bengals don’t have five players on the roster casual fans can name. Sadly, they might not even have five players worth learning the names of.

Cleveland Browns – The one head coach in Ohio worth a damn took his sweater vest and went home.

Dallas Cowboys – Little known fact: Tony Romo sits to pee and Candace Crawford were originally supposed to get married at the end of last year, but she demanded the date be moved to July because, as you know, Romo sits to pee never shows up in December.

Denver Broncos – Broncos fans are so stupid, they actually chanted for Tim Tebow to be the team’s quarterback even though he’s not any good.

Detroit Lions – The Lions head into an NFL season with legitimate expectations for the first time since Barry Sanders carried the load in the Motor City. What could go wrong?

And we'll skip ahead to the home team ...

Washington Redskins – Because the Redskins haven’t even won their own division since Bill Clinton last enjoyed a cigar in the Oval Office.

Click here for the full list of teams.

Dallas Cowboys – Little known fact: Tony Romo sits to pee and Candace Crawford were originally supposed to get married at the end of last year, but she demanded the date be moved to July because, as you know, Romo sits to pee never shows up in December.

Burn :ols:

Good read!

Good post. It's a good thing that majority of us here don't even care if the 'Skins make to the Super Bowl this year. We're looking at the big picture, so maybe we'll be upset if they don't make it 4 to 5 years down the line.

We can all agree that the Chargers one is the funniest, but I think this deserves second:

For what it's worth, I enjoyed writing the Ravens and Jaguars comments the most. Like I said, this is something I look forward to each year. Glad to see a few people around here enjoy it as well.

Chicago Bears – It’s probably not a good sign that Jay Cutler’s most consistent target during his time in Chicago has been DeAngelo Hall.

This one is hilarious.

Cleveland Browns – The one head coach in Ohio worth a damn took his sweater vest and went home.

Eh, as a coach, I don't find this one funny. Just because we haven't heard of him doesn't mean he's not any good.

Denver Broncos – Broncos fans are so stupid, they actually chanted for Tim Tebow to be the team’s quarterback even though he’s not any good.

Meanwhile, in DC... :ols: (Nehemiah Broughton? Jesse Lumsden? :))

Detroit Lions – The Lions head into an NFL season with legitimate expectations for the first time since Barry Sanders carried the load in the Motor City. What could go wrong?

:ols:

Jacksonville Jaguars – NFL blackout rules prevent Jacksonville fans from reading this.

:ols: :ols: :ols: :ols:

Minnesota Vikings – If Donovan McNabb couldn’t get it done in Washington, what exactly is he supposed to accomplish in Minnesota with a legit running back, an improved offensive line and a head coach who doesn’t openly despise him?

Throw more worm burners?

Tennessee Titans – Jake Locker is great … as long as you’re looking for a quarterback with accuracy issues who isn’t very good at reading defenses

Eh. Cheap shot at a rookie QB.

Some were awesome, some were horrendous :) But 26/32 ain't bad ;)

For what it's worth, I enjoyed writing the Ravens and Jaguars comments the most. Like I said, this is something I look forward to each year. Glad to see a few people around here enjoy it as well.

I like the one about the Raiders... fastest four win team in the league. :ols:

Eh, as a coach, I don't find this one funny. Just because we haven't heard of him doesn't mean he's not any good.

By your logic am I then supposed to blindly defend anyone in the media simply because that's what I do for a living? I think you're over-analyzing a random one-liner a bit too much.

Cleveland is always terrible. The one time they were halfway decent, the league moved them to Baltimore. They're the one franchise who couldn't win with Bill Belichick as their head coach. So yeah, I made fun of the fact that the one coach in Ohio who was universally respected because he was able to churn out a consistent winner was run out of town as well. That's par for the course with Browns fans. I know because two of my closest friends are Cleveland fans. Hell, I joke with them that the difference between their favorite team and mine is we pay twice as much for the same results.

By your logic am I then supposed to blindly defend anyone in the media simply because that's what I do for a living? I think you're over-analyzing a random one-liner a bit too much.

I am not overanalyzing, #288. You take it back.

I joke with them that the difference between their favorite team and mine is we pay twice as much for the same results.

Now that's funny :ols:

Archived