Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential 3 headed backfield..?

Houston2Taylor2Landry

We have the potential to have a very dynamic backfield with Hightower,Helu Jr. and Torain/Royster.

Can you ever think of a team in the past decade that had 3 generally reliable backs?

Having 3 backs in constant rotation could REALLY help us out... They would be FRESH!

Less caries for Torain means less wear and tear (less injuries). Less caries for Hightower means less fumbles. Less caries for Helu means.....Um.......Prolonged career???:ols:

I know this is unlikely to happen (Constant rotation of backs) but I think it could work.

Thoughts?

Given Shanny's track record, we'll likely need all of them, and maybe one more. 4 backs is where i'd think.. and the 4th should play special teams obviously.

But backs have a knack for getting hurt on Shanny's team. I think his last year in Denver, they were something like 2nd overall on O, and they went through 7 running backs.

However, I do think we've got four good ones. This backfield could be just flush with talent. Imagine how often we can get fresh legs in the game,, fresh GOOD legs.

This could be very exciting!

~Bang

i think torain might be in trouble with eveyone else playing so well

How soon they forget... Torrain was our best RB last year. And he will be this year as well. I love Hightower (We have the same name LoL) But I doubt he makes it through the season the way he's running. Hes way to physical. So I see Torrain closing the year out.

Backs like Torain and Royster might be of the sort who need to stay in the game for extended periods to get into a rhythm. So, I'm not sure they they will be great candidates for a backfield by committee. Hightower and Helu, on the other hand, may be well suited to the method -- althought Hightower didn't seem to like it in AZ. In the past, Shanahan has not tended to go with the committee approach. Old dog might be up for a new trick, now, but I have my doubts.

How soon they forget... Torrain was our best RB last year. And he will be this year as well. I love Hightower (We have the same name LoL) But I doubt he makes it through the season the way he's running. Hes way to physical. So I see Torrain closing the year out.

Thank you!

Torain was GREAT last year.

If he would've played 4 more games he would've rushed for 1110 yards... That's a good back.

We haven't forgotten. In fact we remember that ATV is hurt....a lot. That brings up the question of if you have enough other good guys that you think will be there all the time, do you keep a guy you know will miss time? I think the running back sitch is more interesting then the WRs. But the good problem is that we have decent guys to look at instead of which guy sucks less....

Thank you!

Torain was GREAT last year.

If he would've played 4 more games he would've rushed for 1110 yards... That's a good back.

yeah, but he never stays healthy. He had awesome potential in Denver, too.. same problem.

I like him, but he can't be counted on for a full load. I think spelling him liberally and keeping him healthy for the full season would make him much more effective.

~Bang

We have the potential to have a very dynamic backfield with Hightower,Helu Jr. and Torain/Royster.

Can you ever think of a team in the past decade that had 3 generally reliable backs?

Having 3 backs in constant rotation could REALLY help us out... They would be FRESH!

Less caries for Torain means less wear and tear (less injuries). Less caries for Hightower means less fumbles. Less caries for Helu means.....Um.......Prolonged career???:ols:

I know this is unlikely to happen (Constant rotation of backs) but I think it could work.

Thoughts?

Ok...first I think we carry THT, Torain, Helu, Keiland Williams. Royster will go to the practice squad. He's been getting a lot of reps so they can make that decision. But 4 backs.

The rotation will be Shanahan's weekly method of determining who looks best in practice that week. He's always done that and will continue to do that. Could mean that if Helu has a setback that he could be swapped with Royster.

Injuries....well for whatever the argument is about why MS's RB's get so banged up compared to the other running game systems is debatable. I think MS requires hard running all year and simply goes with the guy who is running the best. That guy gets a lot of carries and MS rides whoever is hot. It's a rhythm system and whomever gets going gets the rock. If you can't stay healthy than you don't play. For that, Torain won't be playing much. He can't stay on the field. I look for THT to get the majority of the carries for as long as he can stay healthy. Helu should spell him and everybody else better play special teams or they won't stay on the roster. Pretty cut and dry with regards to the running game.

What's most important is the OLine. The ZBS is just as taxing on the OLine as it is on the RB's. The trades that maybe are coming (per Allen) most likely will involve us trading Torain or Kieland Williams as the past has proven that MS creates a RB who has some success than trades him to fill other weaknesses. We have needs at multiple spots.

Running game will improve this year. Noway a MS ran offense repeats at the bottom of the league in rushing gain. I'm saying we are top 5 if not the best.

Thoughts?

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 10:42 AM ----------

It wasn't a Redskins team, but the Giants had a three headed backfield with Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Derrick Ward. I think it was the year after they won the super bowl against the pats. They raped that year. I like the idea of three backs and I think that will be the case.

For fantasy football purposes, this is a popular question.

Though, it is still a question as to whether Hightower will be "the guy" (15-20 touches a game). Having Torain come in for spot relief maybe getting 2-5 touches a game and occasional goal line duty. And having Helu as the 3rd down back.

Interesting to note that in Shanahan's time with the Broncos he had "the guy" who got the bulk of the carries.

1998 - Terrell Davis - 392 touches

1999 - Olandis Gary - 276 touches

2000 - Mike Anderson - 297 touches

2001 - Terrell Davis - 167 touches (got injured again); Mike Anderson - 175 touches

2002 - Clinton Portis - 273 touches

2003 - Clinton Portis - 290 touches

2004 - Reuben Droughns - 275 touches

I could go on. But, the point is his starting RBs usually get 15-25 touches a game. And his backups come in for spot duty - goal line, third down, give the RB a breather.

And look at our game logs from last year of our starting RBs. Whether it was Portis, Torain, or Williams, the starter would get the majority of the carries.

When Portis or Torain got injured, he plugged in the next guy.

I don't think we are really going to know the percentages of touches our backs will get until we see what happens in the Giants game. But, historically Shanahan has a starting running back who he starts the whole game. I've heard recently that Shanahan likes to give RB's "whole games" so the RBs can find a rhythm. And historically that is true. And that is probably how it will be this year too. Hightower, Torain, Helu, and Royster are all competing for the starting spot.

And with the simple game log search I did I'm probably drafting Hightower higher in my fantasy football league than most people. :)

I wish the guy all the luck in the world, but in three years he has only appeared in 12 games. I think Shanny loves RB's but does not fall in love with just one. Now when he finds the one he will run him to death. Is Torain a lock to be that guy? don't know, but I wouldn't bet money on it either way.

2010 Washington Redskins 10 8 164 742 4.5 54 4 18 125 6.9 20 2 2 1

2008 Denver Broncos 2 1 15 69 4.6 19 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

TOTAL 179 811 4.5 54 5 18 125 6.9 20 2 2 1

I think you could be successful doing this (for the reasons already stated in the OP), but I think what you run into alot of the times is that these guys have contracts that are structured with incentives/bonuses attributed to touches, or yards, or TD's, etc... When thats the case you gets guys that want the ball more often than not because they're trying to hit their next contract incentive. I think if you had 3 (or 4) really good backs, who didn't have to worry about something like this, you could really come up with a hell of a running game without the concern any one guy getting pissed off because he's not getting the ball enough.

We all know how great he can be but can't be a great RB sitting on sideline. We have a MUCH better RBs this year. Helu is the young CP and I can clearly see him part of the 1 -2 punch next year w/ Hightower if he signs with us.

As if we put Royster on PS, he will be claimed !!!!!

For those who are saying Torain was great last year...ummm, no, he wasn't. He had three 100 yard games. Aside from those three games, his best output was 70 yards with a 3.9 ypc.

People are too quick to look at stats and say "ZOMG, he's great!" No, he wasn't. He's replaceable. The team wouldn't take a step back if they cut Torain. He's not Peterson, Charles, Foster, etc. He's just another Shanahan back who had a few good games in due to the system.

Guest Spearfeather

I think we will end up seeing Torain and Helu splitting time on first down, and second and short situations, with Hightower seeing more time on second and third and long situations. If they can all stay healthy, it could be a very potent combination.

Archived