Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When was the last time you saw this -> (Merged)

wilco_holland

I understand that it's preseason. I also understand that I've been watching the Redskins for a long time and the starting offense hasn't looked this smooth and in command of an offense in a very long time. I don't care about the final scores. What has me feeling good is how effective the running and passing games have been.

This^^ What's even better is that so far all 3 qb's (Grossman/Beck/Clemens) were able to drive the offense downfield pretty much at will with very few 3 and outs. The 1st down conversions are up from last year. The only two concerns I have is the red zone scoring and some of the back up o lineman...otherwise I'm feeling pretty damn good.

I need to research the past several preseasons and see what kind of teams were top 5 in offense and defense during the preseason, and then see how they finished in the reg. season.

I will say it's been great so far. I can't remember the last time we had a preseason where we didn't make excuses about sucking. It's usually "it's vanilla", "preseason doesn't matter", "our guys are just holding back and not tipping their hand", etc.. It's nice to see Steeler and Colts fans using those excuses instead of us for a change. I just went to Coltfreaks.com and they were melting down over there, saying things like "we normally lose preseason games, but this is ridiculous" and "we are making John Beck look like a probowler" and "this is the worst I've ever seen our defense. I know it's preseason but still."

The stats don't mean anything and they are nothing to get excited about.

I agree, BUT would you say the same for the other teams on those lists?

Probably not. So, as misleading as stats in the preseason can be, we also have to factor in that our dominance has been done in the first half, not the 2nd, like in preseasons past.

I'm just saying there's more positive there than negative.

To be honest I wasn´t that impressed by the colts game.

me neither. i thought the steelers game was much better, even though the score doesnt reflect that. and its amazing how much different that team is without manning. i feel like he would have been chewing up our secondary.

its really hard to judge preseason games. beck did well, but he has to show that his deep ball can be a threat. otherwise, teams will play us like they did campbell. not impressed by the our red zone offense. some say we just arent showing our hand. while that may be true, we still dont have a red zone threat, unless the tight ends are utilized properly.

i have glossed over the fact that our team did very well and our depth is suprisingly, very good. there's a lot to like, but i dont think the page will look like that during the season..

I know I'm not alone in watching the games, but what stands out is the Skins are dominant in the pre-season. They're not showing tons of plays, just run left, run right, run in the middle, and a lot of cross patterns. They're not game planning, but playing to see how the players respond to certain situations. And they're looking GOOD! I am very impressed by the receivers and running backs. I see good hands by the starters. I see speed and willingness to run over people by the running backs.

Yes, it's pre-season, but we've all watched the preseason before and seen them drop passes, overthrow lots of balls, receivers drop passes and the scrubs come in and win a slop fest of a game. What I see this year is a team that looks like it has some depth (for once) and players who are playing well.

Maybe it's not a Superbowl year, but I do think they're better than last season (or prior seasons).

I agree, BUT would you say the same for the other teams on those lists?

Probably not. So, as misleading as stats in the preseason can be, we also have to factor in that our dominance has been done in the first half, not the 2nd, like in preseasons past.

I'm just saying there's more positive there than negative.

I agree there are more positive things happening. I don't want to sound like a downer or kill someone else's enthusiasm, just taking a realistic approach. I enjoyed watching the Steelers game, the offense actually looked like it knew what it was doing. When I watch the replay of the Colts game Sunday I'll probably feel the same.

I agree there are more positive things happening. I don't want to sound like a downer or kill someone else's enthusiasm, just taking a realistic approach. I enjoyed watching the Steelers game, the offense actually looked like it knew what it was doing. When I watch the replay of the Colts game Sunday I'll probably feel the same.

When you watch it, if you don't mind, pay attention to the Colts' safeties and see if they guarded deep the entire 1st half, because I have a feeling that THAT was the reason Beck kept his passes short and intermediate most of the time.

Oldfan said it's been a habit of the Colts since Dungy got there, and I have no doubt he's right, I just wanted to see if my suspicion is correct.

Anyway, it will be interesting to hear what you see the 2nd time around.

When you watch it, if you don't mind, pay attention to the Colts' safeties and see if they guarded deep the entire 1st half, because I have a feeling that THAT was the reason Beck kept his passes short and intermediate most of the time.

Oldfan said it's been a habit of the Colts since Dungy got there, and I have no doubt he's right, I just wanted to see if my suspicion is correct.

Anyway, it will be interesting to hear what you see the 2nd time around.

I will pay close attention to it.

It's pre-season. but it's better to be good in pre-season than not. At least that's what they tell me.

One thing to keep in mind: When Pill Parcells took over the Jets, they were PUTRID. I mean, historically bad the last several years. And he put a tremendous focus on pre-season. Because he said that he needed the team to win something to start to feel better about themselves.

I think Mike Shanahan might be doing the same thing. I don't think they are "Osaka-ing" it, but I think that they have made it a little more important to compete and win these games.

The Jets went 4-0 in the pre-season, and it carried over a bit into the regular season. I'm hoping the same thing holds true here.

Hopefully this continues. I am hoping for a loss in a preseason game just to keep things in perspective. I know we have been keeping starters in for the first half while other teams haven't been. However, usually the third game all teams keep starters in for the first half or longer. We have shown our weaknesses as well.

That all being said, we look like a team, not a collection of 11 players wearing the same uniform on the field at the same time.

I would never hope for a loss to keep things in perspective. I would just hope that THEY DO keep things in perspective

Osaka picture

Yes, because that coaching staff was FULL of NFL experienced, SB winning coaches who were completely competent and knew what they were doing.

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 01:56 PM ----------

I will pay close attention to it.

Thanks!

Archived